Author Topic: Linseed oil for bridge and truss cover?  (Read 1620 times)

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
Linseed oil for bridge and truss cover?
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Anyone used boiled linseed oil on anything other than the fretboard?  Those are the only two other areas of untreated wood on my 814ce, wondering if it's a good idea in the long run to use a little linseed oil on those every few years too?
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Linseed oil for bridge and truss cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
When ever I clean up and oil up the fretboard I also do the bridge.  I use the Kyser Klassics Dr. Stringfellow Lem-oil.  I have never used it on the TRC.  It has never looked dried out to me. :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
I know some folks use boiled L oil but it seems like a poor choice for guitar fretboards since it's an actual finishing material - like using varnish.  I guess if you apply it and then thoroughly wipe it dry it works ok but it seems it would eventually fill the pores of the wood and become sticky/gummy.  I just use a bit of mineral oil as was recommended to me many years ago by a luthier who advised me that the fretboard needs periodic cleaning but not oiling but IF I wanted to oil it, use mineral oil or lemon oil.  But hey, whatever you like, I guess. 

The whole "feeding the wood" thing is marketing cr@p anyway but I totally agree that cleaning the fretboard with something is good for getting the finger grunge off the surface periodically and it makes the fretboard look nicer.  I have a friend who is a serious rock guitar "shredder" who uses WD40 on fretboards and has been since the 80's so whatever… :)

Tarekith

• Artist Website
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Im using exactly what Taylor recommends in this case, if its good enough for them to use on fretboards, good enough for me :)

Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Well if you are comfortable doing exactly what Taylor recommends (whatever that is) why not do whatever they recommend re the bridge?  If that's "nothing" then do that.  :)

IOW, if you accept that they are right about care of the fretboard, one would assume they are equally right about how to care (or not) for the bridge.

Tarekith

• Artist Website
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:44:20 AM »
Thanks for all of your help.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
I apologize if I came across as sarcastic - I was just trying to say that if you are comfortable with Taylor's recommendations then just go with that. 

To directly answer the question - I have personally never used boiled linseed oil (or anything else) on a guitar bridge.  I have a classical guitar from 1963 and the ebony bridge has never been treated with anything and it still look just as it did then.  But if you are happy with BLI for the fingerboard, use it on the bridge if you want to.  I'd be sure NOT to get any on the saddle or in the saddle slot.

Tarekith

• Artist Website
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
My biggest concern is just what's best for the wood long term, it's not something I want to do for looks.  Those are the only two parts of the guitar that don't seem to have any finish on them, and I want to make sure I'm not neglecting any basic maintenance now that might help protect these in the long term. 

I'm probably just over-thinking this, since it's a rather expensive new acquisition.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
I use Petros fingerboard oil on the bridge and fingerboard. (it's a Taylor 818, so both are ebony.)

http://petrosguitarshop.enstore.com/item/cp-fingerboard-oil

I've only heard two guys play jazz on a Les Paul....me, and some guy named "Les Paul"

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
I used to use boiled linseed oil per Taylor's recommendation, but I found it to be a bit messy to use. I switched to mineral oil, which I feel free to use on the fingerboard, truss rod cover (if unfinished), bridge and wooden tuner buttons. Of all the oils I have used, I find that this one works best for me.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mikeguywest

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
It's mainly about getting to know your oils and how they benefit and how they are to be used. I read in Wood & Steel (I believe) that BLO is good to use, but you only need to use is sparingly in the life of the guitar. In fact they stated that if you use it maybe only once a year, after a couple of years you shouldn't have to use it again. Whatever you use, it can be and should be used on the bridge and truss rod covers as well.

I use mineral oil on mine. Caution, not all mineral oils are good for this, use the laxative kind. It's good for what ails ya! Mineral oil, however, will evaporate so it needs to be re-applied from time to time. I do this probably every six-nine months when I change my strings. Whatever product you use make sure you thoroughly wipe up any excess, AND make sure you properly clean your fretboard before oiling it.