Author Topic: A couple new Taylor accessories  (Read 1908 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
A couple new Taylor accessories
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »
Has anyone tried out the miniature Taylor hygrometer/thermometer (small enough to fit in a guitar case according to its description) and/or the Taylor guitar polish? Does the mini hygrometer look similar to ones made by other hygrometer manufacturers? If so, I'd be interested in reading reviews about its accuracy.
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: A couple new Taylor accessories
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
I use this one, seems to work fine both inside and out of the case.  Haven't tried any polish....yet... :)

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-2-Digital-Hygrometer-clip/dp/B0018A21QC

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. There are so many hygrometers out there. If they are digital hygrometers, it is recommended to not use the salt test to determine their accuracy. I'm just wondering if this one is somewhat accurate. And Taylor used to recommend some type of Turtle Wax polish, but I don't recall its being canuba wax....
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
In the Taylor web site there is a video on restringing and cleaning your Taylor guitar.  The wax they suggest is Turtle Wax Express Shine, and yes it does have Carnauba wax in it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

dmccrider

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. There are so many hygrometers out there. If they are digital hygrometers, it is recommended to not use the salt test to determine their accuracy. I'm just wondering if this one is somewhat accurate. And Taylor used to recommend some type of Turtle Wax polish, but I don't recall its being canuba wax....

Hi Cindy, FWIW I've been using this one http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/Digital_Humidity_Gauge.html and it seems to work really well. It looks suspiciously like the Oasis one that BigSkyTaylorPlayer mentioned, probably made by the same manufacturer. I've given it the ol' salt test and it passed.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
i dont know if i'd bother with the taylor polish. i appreciated the turtle wax advice that they give.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

mikeguywest

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
I use the Western Digital Caliber III, which looks very similar to the Oasis. It has served me well and you can usually pick one up at a good price. Mine fits snugly in the headstock compartment, just above the storage area. Yes, you can use the salt test on the digitals, you just have to be careful not to spill. Two Cigar sites I checked do this and they also recommend the digitals as being consistently more accurate than non-digitals. I'm not a cigar man (don't smoke at all), but cigar enthusiasts are very, very particular about the humidity in their cases, not just musicians ;)

http://www.cigarpass.com/calibrating-your-cigar-hygrometer/
http://www.cigarmony.com/calibratinghygrometers.aspx

As for the polish, I think I'll stick to what TG has been using in their shops for a while now: Turtle Wax Express Shine. TG may have made a deal with TW to sell the same product in different packaging, but that's just a guess. I think some folks are more comfortable using a product that says it's specifically for guitars than one that is for cars, even though the TW product does just what TG want's it to do for their guitars.