Author Topic: 80/20's vs. PB's Poll Results  (Read 821 times)

mikeguywest

80/20's vs. PB's Poll Results
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
On this forum the results were 50/50. On a different forum the results were 70%-PB's/30%-80/20's. One of the key findings was that it depends on the guitar. Many respondents us 80/20's on some of their guitars, and use PB's on the others. I should have given the option for "both" as some people didn't vote because that option wasn't available, but noted in comments that they used both.

So, Jersey Tuning, why some local shops don't stock more 80/20's I don't know. It seems that many people continue to use them. Like other products for other stores, if you don't find what you're looking for talk to the manager about bringing the product in. You'd be surprised how often you'll see them being stocked soon afterwards.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: 80/20's vs. PB's Poll Results
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
An ongoing theme is that 80/20's allow the builder's intent to come through best, while the end user might have other (PB) solutions at times.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
it comes down to what the store actually sells, as there are so many types of strings available it's nearly impossible to cover them all -
for a six string set, there are typically extra lights, custom lights, lights, medium lights, mediums &, in a few cases, heavy .014 - .059s,
so one can double the number of sets to cover 80/20 & PBs, then double the number again for uncoated & coated extended play strings

some manufacturers don't offer uncoated strings & some offer 2 different types of coating, there are also plated strings, cryogenically
treated, different metal compositions like titanium or wrap windings such as 85/15 bronze, hexcore wound strings, which are more common than roundcore, low tension, custom signature artist string sets that may have inbetween gauges like .0125, so on & so forth

if the store sells guitars, they will usually stock what came on them from the factory -
if they stock a few lines of guitars, acoustic, classical & electric, basses, mandolins, banjos, violins ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mikeguywest

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
@MichaelW - I guess that's what makes the internet so handy - even for shrimp!