Author Topic: Musical tastes  (Read 37495 times)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Musical tastes
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
I've been stuck in the seventies musically...well, since the seventies. I also gained a love of Big Bands from my father and have everything on my iPod from Andy Williams to Montrose to Keith Urban. I was wondering what are some of the musical tastes on the forum. Two of my favorites these days are Moves Like A Jagger by Maroon 5 (because it's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to...those old enough will understand that reference) and Boys 'Round Here by Blake Shelton. But actually, when I look through my song list the bulk of my collection is really old!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Musical tastes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »
for me, anything acoustically driven, whether it's alternative, country or contemporary worship -
as long as the lyrics have meaning, the tone is clean & the track goes somewhere musically, i'm good :)

ran across this from a clip in a paul walker memorial video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3tOkiHh74
acoustic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvawKOJkYJ0
for the first time in a long time, i picked up my mini & began to pick it out ...
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:10:37 PM »
when in search of something new, i find myself looking up Aaron Lewis and Corey Taylor acoustic videos on youtube. both are frontmen for really big contemporary bands but love to do acoustic only shows solo. i find a lot of songs to play from their covers of classic songs.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »
Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors(some nice fingerpicked covers of my favorite band), Dylan(mostly Byrds-esque covers on the 12-string), Peter Paul and Mary, the Stones, Joni Mitchell, CSNY, Gordon Lightfoot, Israeli folk music, Pete Townsend, ie stuck about a decade before Lizzy.  Oh, add Natalie Merchant and Joan Osborne when I ' m feeling more "relevant".  Mumford's "the cave" is on the pile of things to learn. Once I figure out Wilco they might be next.  And I love Neko Case...........
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:27:08 PM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »
I like to say, "I'll be playing the music you like to hear... as long as you like music that was written 30 to 40 years ago!"   8)

We live in a beachy area, so Jimmy Buffett and other beach/boat music is popular.  Beatles tunes always go over.  I also get hired by boating groups as we travel.  Some "everybody knows" stuff like Van Morrison.

I have fun when I play out... and try to adapt the set list to the audience.

Some humor.  One of my favorite songs: "I'm the Scum that Pays the Rent."

I was a product of the 60s & 70s... has there been much good music written since then?   ;)

Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:12:16 AM »
For me, I really enjoy the music of my childhood.  This is from the mid 60's to about the mid 70's.  I graduated high school in 72 and the group I played in played a lot of the Top 40 hits from then.  I still enjoy listening to and attempting to play that music again.  I am also enjoying playing southern gospel music now and from time to time play solo or with a few others in the church environment.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
4 omissions from my list above:  Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seeger, Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Glen Hansard
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

mikeguywest

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
I grew up listening to a variety of genres, so when I write it is a mixed bag of nothing in particular it seems.

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
  I grew up in a house where there was 2 kinds of music. Bluegrass gospel, and what was in the baptist hymn book. On Sat. nights we got watched a half hour of Hee Haw (dad), and a half hour of Lawrence Welk (mom). They were on at the same time. I had an AM radio and could pick up Motown music late at night. By high school I could afford a better radio with FM and then 8 track tapes. I totally wore out Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. By the 80's I enjoyed softer rock, then out nowhere I got totally into bluegrass. About 10 years ago I started listening to Hawaiian music. Right now that is about all I listen to, and play. I like the really old hula tunes. Currently memorizing the lyrics from a song that came from a chant, that came from a true story that happened around 1850. It was put to music around 1900. http://www.huapala.org/Ka_Manu.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:23:48 PM by azslacker »
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
I'm probably the odd ball here, I listen to mostly electronic music and rarely to anything acoustic guitar.  I love blending traditional instruments with the modern soundscapes todays software tools can provide.  :)
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

Jeffrey

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
Lizzy,

Like you, most of my gigging music comes from the days of VW vans and bell bottoms.  That said, I've discovered some great new acoustic stuff listening to the Coffee House on Sirius.  Passenger comes to mind.  Have not learned any One Direction yet though my daughters keep asking...
Taylor 612ce
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Baby Taylor w/Fishman
Martin OMJM
Breedlove Focus SE
YairiWY1
Ovation 1984 Collectors
Takamine New Yorker
Godin A6 Ultra Koa
Gibson 339
'68 Telecaster

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
Lizzy,

Like you, most of my gigging music comes from the days of VW vans and bell bottoms.  That said, I've discovered some great new acoustic stuff listening to the Coffee House on Sirius.  Passenger comes to mind.  Have not learned any One Direction yet though my daughters keep asking...
I listen to channel 15, The Pulse, on Sirius. It helps keep me up to date musically. I like Passenger and there's a band called Parachute that's good too. Actually, One Direction is not bad. They do have great voices (which is saying something these days in popular music) even though their stuff is very pop.
It's nice to see all the oldies, but goodies people here....along with everything in between. Then I don't feel so old!

Jeffrey

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
I live in a university town and you'd be surprised how many college kids know and like James Taylor, Dylan, Led Zepplin, etc.  Keeps me from having to learn too much new stuff...
Taylor 612ce
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Baby Taylor w/Fishman
Martin OMJM
Breedlove Focus SE
YairiWY1
Ovation 1984 Collectors
Takamine New Yorker
Godin A6 Ultra Koa
Gibson 339
'68 Telecaster

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
I listen to the Coffee House on Sirius in my office 5 days a week.  Getting awfully tired of the Indigo Girls (who we saw earlier this year open for Joan Baez), although Shawn Colvin keeps getting better and better for me (saw HER earlier this year with Mary Chapin Carpenter). 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
I listen to the Coffee House on Sirius in my office 5 days a week.  Getting awfully tired of the Indigo Girls (who we saw earlier this year open for Joan Baez), although Shawn Colvin keeps getting better and better for me (saw HER earlier this year with Mary Chapin Carpenter).
I bet those were some great concerts. In your area the concert opportunities are probably fabulous.