Author Topic: Help With Buying A Used Taylor Online  (Read 39380 times)

xfrankdatank

Help With Buying A Used Taylor Online
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Sorry if these are dumb questions or have been answered before, but I need some help.  I figure this is the right community to ask.

Other than the cosmetic flaws on a 414e I'm looking at, I discovered the guitar has had a neck reset and has a crack in the back.  Would these cause any future problems with this guitar that should be concerning?  I do not know how common neck resets are but I've never had to have this performed on any of my Taylors. 

Should I be more concerned with the crack or the neck reset?

Is there any other questions I should ask the seller?

Thanks in advance.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: Help With Buying A Used Taylor Online
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
I've never had one done, but the party line is that a neck reset is a 15 minute job, perhaps changing some of the shims to achieve the proper neck angle.  The back crack is more troubling and may be a sign of other structural issues such as loose braces. 

With all the guitars out there for sale, maybe you should take your time making a decision; make sure this deal has a simple return policy and plan to immediately have your guitar inspected by your luthier or a Taylor dealer with a certified shop.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
Wouldn't worry at all about the neck. That's the beauty of the NT neck. It ain't no big deal for re-sets. My mini had it done at under 1 year old. Was covered under warrenty. If the crack has been properly repaired, and no other problems with the guitar, I wouldn't be afraid to buy it at the right price.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
hi frank,
if the crack was the result of low humidity that caused a seam separation, rather than an impact,
after the guitar has been properly rehumidified, chances are the fret ends may  need to be filed &
if the neck angle has changed due to the top & body shrinking around the neck pocket, it may  still
be evident after the issues are corrected that the guitar was repaired, depending on quality of the
crack repair & the set of shims used in resetting the neck, the binding rout under the heel cap may  show

i would factor in the $ for a possible fret dress into the offering price &, if there's a chance that you may sell
the guitar at a late date, how the repairs may affect it's value ... if you're going to keep it & the main goals
are tone & playability, then i would focus more on structural integrity & less about imperfect aesthetics
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
I would not even consider it.  There are plenty of guitars available with no such issues.  Why even fool with the concerns?  It's not like you are looking at some rare/valuable vintage guitar.  Add the fact that it's an on-line purchase and I'd say, "Run Forrest, RUN!" ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:06:47 AM by MexicoMike »

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
It is uncommon for a Taylor that has been properly maintained to require a neck reset. My hunch is that there are more resets done than are truly necessary. I have Taylors bought in 1996 and 1997 that have yet to need a neck reset.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »
I agree with that - it's hard to imagine that a decent quality guitar would need a reset in less than at least 10-15 years.  My Martin HD28  was purchased over 20 year ago and there is still a LOT of saddle left to do action lowering.  If a guitar really needs a neck reset in a few years - we're talking a real neck reset, not just wanting to change action height on a Taylor using a different neck shim - I'd say the wood was not properly seasoned in the first place or there is a glue/brace issue.

Taylor, IMO, makes the term "neck reset" a little cloudy.  Traditionally a neck reset is done because the string tension has pulled up the top/bridge sufficiently where the action is too high even with the saddle trimmed as low as it can go.  With a Taylor, you can do a neck "reset" just to make a small action change using a different shim.  I personally wouldn't do that, I'd adjust the saddle but that's not important.  What IS important is that the term "neck reset" on a Taylor can cover EITHER a slight action adjustment OR what would be major surgery on a conventionally-constructed guitar, just by using a different shim.

SO…did the guitar really need a neck reset because the top had pulled up that much or was it just a "reset" to adjust the action?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:00:58 PM by MexicoMike »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
I agree with Mike.  I'd never touch a guitar that has a big crack in it.  I would just assume that, since a previous owner failed to care for it properly, there may be issues with the guitar that aren't as readily obvious as a crack.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
technically, the term for a reset on a NT neck could  be considered a neck "adjustment", but when removing
the neck from a body, most techs will deem it to be a reset, even if it's a matter of removing 3 bolts -
the babies have 2 screws, the t-lock neck on the T3/5s & SBs are one bolt & other makes, like a strat, have 4 screws

many would consider a truss rod adjustment a neck adjustment, as the neck stays connected to the body,
but there are other companies that use a micro-tilt mechanism that allows the neck angle to be while changed
while it is attached to the body as well & some instances, a slight reset can be done on bolt on necks that have
the fretboard extension glued to the top without removing the neck completely from the body, but it's not easy

i've had 3 NTs, made from between 00 & 03, that needed neck resets due to improper shims initially being installed -
provided the tech working on the guitar has the correct shims & the know-how to do the proper procedure, a NT reset
can be done & usually it's quicker than removing the saddle, sanding it down, reinstalling it, retuning the guitar,
only to find that there needs to be a little more taken off & the process needs to be repeated again to "dial-it-in"

the shims make to possible to change in the neck angle in increments of .039 degrees - 4:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2XnmKePcUE
granted, one could take 1/32" off the saddle to lower the action 1/64" at the 12th fret, but with the infinitesimal
adjustment afforded by the NT neck system, there is no need to change the saddle height from what is considered
the optimum break angle, as 1/32" can be the difference between having adequate saddle height & not enough
break angle to where it negatively impacts tone & at that point the options are to shim it or to get another saddle -
utilizing the shims to adjust the neck angle allows the saddle height to remain correct & also allows for slight
non-standard tweaking, depending on the player's personal preference, which can have a desirable effect on
tone & playability, as just as a super-low saddle is not the best fix, an overly high saddle on an underset neck
can cause problems as well, such as the potential for the bridge saddle slot to crack from the saddle "torquing"

depending on where they are, how severe & the method in which they are repaired, the cracks that could cause
the most concern would be the neck, due to the stress placed on it from the strings, & the top, with the possibility
that the cleats could change the flexibility & responsiveness depending on exactly where & how they are applied -
properly repaired side cracks would likely have little to no ill effects or back cracks, if the are close to the neck or tail
block, kerfing or back strips, but the structural integrity of the bracing & kerfing need to be addressed to avoid buzzing

again, it's personal preference & whether or not a "player" that is structurally sound & aesthetically less-than-perfect
that has great tone & playability at the right $ is acceptable to the person considering the purchase of that guitar -
i have & have owned Taylors with top cracks, side cracks, neck cracks, bridge cracks, replaced neck & replaced top &
in no instance did i feel that after the repairs were made, was there a perceived negative change in tone or playability

there's a local artist here that has a 01 cedar/cocobolo 714ceLTD that has been glued together many times,
not because of improper care or abuse, but because of the number of gigs & miles put on the guitar -
it was made-to-be-played, it is being used for its intended purpose &, personally, i've yet to hear a better
cocobolo grand auditorium Taylor guitar, regardless of bracing type or bracing material, but it's possible
it may happen soon, as it seems Taylor is about the change the rules of the game all over again ... never say never
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
i normally wouldn't touch something like that but i guesss it really depends on the price being asked. if it's 1/3 or more off the going price, it probably would be worth the gamble..... as long as there's some sort of return policy, even if you have to spring for return shipping.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !