Author Topic: Taylor F&F??  (Read 45564 times)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Re: Taylor F&F??
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Was this a better sale than the Taylor Road show prices?

I don't know how the prices compare. Much more interesting to me was the sheer variety of prototypes they had. I am very excited for the new 800 series lineup based on a few of the prototypes they had displayed. Davwir can chime in if he wishes on the subject; there was some interesting stuff! You can really tell the Andy Powers influence in these models! The place did get picked (mostly) clean faster than I've ever seen it happen. It was a smaller sale than in years past, but a good one nonetheless.

I had expected there to be many SolidBody guitars there, seeing as they've been discontinued. But there wasn't one to be found anywhere...
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
Thanks for that Cindy ...will check it out on FB!

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »
And here I though it meant Fast & Furious... :-\
like this, but different ;)

just wondering if anyone has any pics or if snapping any was frowned upon
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
People were too busy snapping up guitars to take pictures of them...
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »
... Much more interesting to me was the sheer variety of prototypes they had. I am very excited for the new 800 series lineup based on a few of the prototypes they had displayed. Davwir can chime in if he wishes on the subject; there was some interesting stuff! You can really tell the Andy Powers influence in these models! The place did get picked (mostly) clean faster than I've ever seen it happen. It was a smaller sale than in years past, but a good one nonetheless...
it looks like some of the prototypes can be found here
http://stores.ebay.com/Willcutt-Guitars/_i.html?_nkw=taylor+814&submit=Search&_sid=13414687
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dmccrider

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 03:43:06 AM »
I'm always surprised by how quick people buy guitars at the F&F sale. I mean some people will grab like three really expensive guitars (or more) and head out without much thought about the money they are dropping. There really isn't much time to be selective at the start of the sale but some people don't even try to play them (I suppose it's kind of hard to hear yourself over the noise anyway). It just seems weird to me how people buy their guitars that way. That said, I've had great luck at the F&F sale and have picked up a couple of gems but always later in the day after someone decides they aren't going to buy them and puts them back and I always play and listen carefully beforehand. I've had this suspicion for awhile that there are people who just go to the F&F sale to resell guitars and pocket the difference. Do you think that happens much? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth, especially now that they charge CA sales tax, but I dunno...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »
I think when folks are walking out with 3 guitars (that's the max you're allowed for those of you who don't know) in a hurry w/o playing them pretty much suggests that they are buying for resale.  I can't help but think Taylor realizes this, but yeah ...seems to me like lots of trouble.  Perhaps folks are betting on Taylor's "consistency"?? 

Edward

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
It's hard to say. Out of curiosity I checked the local Craigslist the day after the Sale, but noticed nothing that indicated a Taylor had just been purchased to flip. There was a guitar listed that had been purchased at last year's Sale, but keeping a guitar for a year and then selling it doesn't sound like flipping for profit to me. Interestingly, they did NOT charge sales tax at this year's sale. Last year was the only year I recall that they did. Now whether that's because the gear is considered used, or they factor in the sales tax into the price (or pay it themselves) I do not know. But it definitely pays to be patient. A few years back I got a gem of a guitar that was passed over because it had a 1 7/8" neck. And while I didn't end up keeping it I thought it only fair to only cover my costs in the sale, without marking up the price.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

dmccrider

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Hey James! So there was no sales tax this year? Huh... interesting. I can see how people might just figure buy the guitar, play it for however long you want, if you decide to part with it you can just sell it and recoup what you paid. That's a good plan, I think my only problem would be I probably wouldn't be able to let go of any of them. :-\  ha ha

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

MR XXXXX

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
The price of the guitar had tax included.  They HAVE to charge sales tax... laws are laws.

ebick

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG