Author Topic: Taylor's best fingerstyle guitar  (Read 15576 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Taylor's best fingerstyle guitar
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
I have since sold it but I had a 2011 SLTD GA Cedar/Macassar Ebony 12-fret SS that was about as awesome a fingerstyle guitar as I have ever played. I kind of agree with Ted except I think the GC in that configuration would be OK as well. Just depends on you and what size guitar is comfortable for you.

My go to fingerstyle guitar now is a Kwasnycia 000-12 in Tunnel Redwood over Walnut. This wood combination is killer!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

sojiro

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
A few weeks ago I posted a question on the Acoustic Guitar Forum about how much difference adi bracing makes. The consensus there was that adi bracing on an adi-topped guitar made a difference compared to sitka bracing, but adi bracing on a guitar using a different tonewood for the top might not make that huge a difference, certainly not enough to justify the BTO upcharge for adi bracing. [/quote]

Contrary to popular opinion on the AGF (above), I just watched a Youtube video where Bob Taylor was discussing adi bracing, and in his opinion adi braces on a sitka top made more of a difference than adi braces on an adi top. So when doing a BTO, this would be a huge cost savings. (Adi braces are a lot cheaper than the upcharge for an adi top.)

Back to the original topic, my ideal fingerstyle guitar would be a grand concert 12 fret with Engleman (sadly not available for BTO at the moment,) or European spruce and rosewood or mahogany. (In that same video Bob said mahogany is best for fingerstyle and those with a lighter touch, while rosewood is best for those with a heavier touch and strummers.) With the above 12-fret GC one might have to experiment with slightly heavier string gauges to support alternative tunings.

PureTone

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
I believe I came across the same video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF6JP1WV6Xw
The upcharge for a Standard grade Adirondack top is hardly more than Adirondack bracing (a 'Premium' top carries twice the upcharge as the standard one), but the claim is that Adirondack bracing's 'tonal plus' on a Sitka top may be perceived to a greater degree than an Adirondack top with Sitka bracing. Godin guitars uses Red spruce bracing on their acoustics, with 'Pressure Tested' tops and the guitars on Martin's website that have Adirondack tops (and the Adirondack top option in their Custom Shop included Adirondack bracing. It would be nice if Taylor discounted the upcharge for Adirondack bracing if purchased with an Adirondack top, but chances are if one is looking at Adirondack, they'll want to see it on the outside of the guitar and if they accept that the tone may not be at the same level as a Sitka top after spending the $ on Adirondack (especially Premium), then it's not a 'hard sell' to convince them to do the Adirondack bracing at the current upcharge, especially if there are other options like figured back and sides and flamed wood binding.

Most of the Taylors I've seen and played whose tone 'stuck' with me more had 'compression wood'.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?49072-Top-wood-query&s=60a9527d2bc0821eb2364477be6e35bb&p=641066&viewfull=1#post641066
They sounded 'richer' to me when compared to another example of the same model, so I'd consider a standard grade top with a request for compression wood and Adirondack bracing, but it's all personal preference.