Author Topic: Getting rid of spruce to go mahogony!!!! what are old 214s worth?  (Read 1277 times)

PHILLIP

After playing a couple of pre 2007 214s for a few years,I recently bought a new 324 mahogany.Wow is it amazing!
Mahogony is the one for me..I don't like the spruce at all anymore.I think I may have to part with the old babys to get another mahogany..
Finally found the perfect guitar for me...
Doe anyone know what a 2004 214 is worth these days? I have two of them

GSMAN

Re: Getting rid of spruce to go mahogony!!!! what are old 214s worth?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
I had an all Mahogany guitar for a year. Trust me you will regret getting rid of one with a Spruce top. They cut through the mix differently. Enjoy both. Maybe look into a Rosewood or different shapes.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
I think the old 200 series guitars are worth more than you'll likely get in return -- I'd hold on to one or both. If you get another mahogany-top guitar you should look at the 500 series, maybe a 12-fret.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

robhanesworth

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
You have asked a question that forum rules forbid us answering. But, the answer would vary depending upon the presence or or not of cutaway and electronics.

I suspect you would find the resale value to be disappointing. Fine guitars, but not going to bring a lot of dollars.

PureTone

Re: Getting rid of spruce to go mahogany!!!! what are old 214s worth?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
The all solid 214s had forward shifted bracing, solid lining for the kerfing and a thin satin finish. The ones I've played had great projection with strong fundamentals, but not quite as much tonal complexity as the 314. The 214 was more 'straight-up'.

I would do a search on sold items on eBay and look on some websites for used gear (GC, for example). Check the pictures to see that the guitar has black binding and a satin finish top (03-06 are the ones with solid Sapele back and sides). White binding is used on the 07-current 200s with laminate Rosewood back and sides.
I think you'll find the range is right around what the advertised price is for a new GS Mini.

mikeguywest

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
As with most items, they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. That's hard when you might have paid more for what is offered, but that's the reality. As already stated, ebay or craigs list are good resources to get a general idea of what you could sell it for. An idea to increase its value: send it return postage paid to a famous musician, ask them to play a couple of their famous songs on it, maybe have them autograph the inside (don't want to mess up the outside, plus it would wear off in time), then say, "This one has been played by...." Just a suggestion ;)