Author Topic: The New ES...  (Read 13670 times)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Re: The New ES...
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
Don't discount the notion that the 4th-gen ES might appear in the 500 series and up for a year or so, while the current-gen stays in the 300- and 400-series. That's similar to what Taylor did when they transitioned from Fishman pickups to the ES.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

greg947

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
And eventually, maybe the present ES will end up in the 100 and 200 series.  I would guess that since the 214ce Fall Limited has the ES and not the ES-T, Taylor might be tooling up the factory in Mexico for that.
2007 Taylor GA7
2010 Taylor GSmini
2010 Taylor GS8e
2014 Taylor 712e FLTD
1973 Guild F212

Glen

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
When I play the last ES version in my Koa vs the newest version there is worlds of difference. My wife has never picked one string of a guitar in her life and she was shocked and the sonic difference plugged in with all settings on mixer and ES controls the same.  Anyone that would suggest it is not much different is in denial.  I am not saying some may not like it, but to say there is not a dramatic difference would be disingenuous. And to me, the difference is worlds better.

Glen,

How close do they sound when you adjust the mixer and ES controls differently? Is the new version merely easier to dial in or is it something that the current ES can't come close to?

The only way I can get close from my Koa to the new ES is to use a Fishman Aura DI (artificial image).  I can't dial my mixer with 2010 ES close to the 514E Fall LTD ES. Each string rings out so much more pure against the 2010 ES.  You just have to hear it to understand.  Now if I try to make the 514E sound bad through the mixer and ES controls I can. But when I dial in both ES to my liking, there is a big difference between the two.

Cramsession

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
Well, of course I don't know anything about the new ES, but the "old" ES on my new 718e sounds fantastic.  I have a Takamine with the Cool Tube preamp, and a Martin that I run through a Fishman Aura and I think the ES sounds every bit as good.  Each system has its strengths I think (and very few weaknesses).  Aren't we fortunate that the technology has been developed so nicely! 
-Cram
-Cramsession

2013 Taylor 718e 1st Edition
2012 Takamine TF430SS
2012 Martin DCPA4R
2011 Martin DRS1 (Nashville Tuning)
2012 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Roland AC-60

tedtan

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
That's interesting, Glen. Thanks for the report.

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »
Glen,

Any chance you could do an A/B recording of the 3rd gen ES with the new one?  I would love to hear what this new ES sounds like amp'd. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

werkout52

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
I picked up my 514e today and am reading the tech sheet. The new ES appears to be a simple 3 sensor pickup that puts pressure from the lower side of the bridge to the saddle and can be adjusted to how much pressure is applied. From what I can read there is no other input. The preamp is changed to work with this system.
Another point is the balanced cable (TRS) doesn't work with this version, also if the treble and bass are both turned up you will get a dipped midrange. Will see how this works tomorrow
1974 Aria
2011 Eastman E20om
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD
2015 Martin D28 Authentic 1937

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
… Another point is the balanced cable (TRS) doesn't work with this version, also if the treble and bass are both turned up you will get a dipped midrange. Will see how this works tomorrow

I don’t think I understand the above quote. Turning up both the bass and treble controls on the standard, dual-source Expression System will result in a dipped midrange also.

werkout52

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
… Another point is the balanced cable (TRS) doesn't work with this version, also if the treble and bass are both turned up you will get a dipped midrange. Will see how this works tomorrow

I don’t think I understand the above quote. Turning up both the bass and treble controls on the standard, dual-source Expression System will result in a dipped midrange also.
You're right. Should have thought of that.
Is there a way to post PDF files? If so I can post the tech sheet and everyone can read what Taylor says
1974 Aria
2011 Eastman E20om
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD

werkout52

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »
I sent a PDF of the New Expression Tech Sheet to where you can read it.
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2013/09/21/new-es/
Hope this works.
1974 Aria
2011 Eastman E20om
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
Sheeezs...The original ES was "better" than sliced bread,then an upgrade, and another,and another.Now this one.
How long til they add an internal mic w/blendable controls? Fishman prefix blender and Stereo blender were stock for years and IMHO
were about as good as it got if properly set.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »
Sheeezs...The original ES was "better" than sliced bread,then an upgrade, and another,and another.Now this one.
How long til they add an internal mic w/blendable controls? Fishman prefix blender and Stereo blender were stock for years and IMHO
were about as good as it got if properly set.
Steve

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would complain about a manufacturer continually improving their products. The iPhone was originally released in 2007 and has gone through several generational changes in addiction to improvements within each generation - all eagerly anticipated. As technology improves, why shouldn’t Taylor apply newer technology to their pickup systems and offer more choices? Is the fact that Honda improves their fuel efficiency virtually every model year cause for protest?

MikeB

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
I asked about the new ES system at the Roadshow the other night.  Nate said it was on 360 500-series guitars only at this point, to see what the reaction to it is.

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
We asked at the Factory Tour in El Cajon - answer was
"We need to see reaction before we decide where to go next with it"
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Wow ...so Taylor is flying a trial baloon ...interesting!  Perhaps, then, someone is reading here  (cue Twilight Zone theme... :D  )

I think it's a great idea for the factory to create a test model.  The only potential bummer is if they change anything after the fact, they risk alienating the original folks who bought into it.  If the tone is as good as some here have reported, how can it not be a hit.  Heck, the ES at every incarnation was hotly contested as well as overtly jeered, yet still it enjoyed much great popularity and professional kudos.  I can see this one being a winner.

BUUUUT, as much as I like the concept of the adjustibilty, they really should do something about disguising or beautifying the 3 screws.  No owner of any guitar bearing these lofty pricetags are thrilled with screws; "tolerate" them, maybe, but none embrace this mechanical look on the woody aesthetic.  And this is partiularly true of acoustic players who are more of that "acoustic purist" mindset ...or at least as I've observed.  Make this functional component more aesthetically pleasing (witness the unobtrusive yet highly elegant and functional 3-knobs of the ES, IMHO), and I think Taylor would draw more of the fence-sitters and naysayers.

Edward