Author Topic: 714CE Hard to Fret  (Read 6529 times)

ppop

Re: 714CE Hard to Fret
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
I just told him that I was just starting to learn fingerpicking.  He said that guitar was fine and that I should change the strings to custom lights..
Jimmy

I watch,  I listen,  I'm gonna learn

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Don't give up Jimmy - it will get easier if you stick with it. You have a great guitar there!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

PureTone

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Well guys I carried the guitar to my local dealer Friday where I purchased it.  The tech which is Taylor certified checked the guitar out and he said that it was in factory specs and that it looked OK to him.  He said that he could lower the action on the nut a little but he was afraid that would open up other problems such as string buzz, etc.  He recommened that I put Custom Light Elixr's on it and that should help.  Gonna try the strings tonight sure hope that helps.  Guess I need to work on the callus thing.
Just because the guitar is within factory specs doesn't mean that the set-up is going to be optimal or desirable to the person who owns and is going to be playing the guitar. A set-up that varies from factory specs would not be covered under warranty, but I would think the set-up could be 'tweaked' by the dealer the guitar was purchased from and that they would be willing to do so without an additional charge, other than if the strings were to be changed.
I just told him that I was just starting to learn fingerpicking.  He said that guitar was fine and that I should change the strings to custom lights..
To the tech, the guitar may be 'fine', but he is not the one that owns or is playing the guitar on a daily basis. If the G, B and e strings feel the stiffest and require the most effort to fret, the Custom Lights will make a difference, as the lighter treble strings are where most of the change in tension will be compared to a Light gauge set.
However, it is possible to set-up a guitar to have lower action with Light gauge strings with less of a tendency to buzz than with Custom Lights because the increased tension on the treble strings will not be as apt to be 'floppy' and causing fret buzz or rattle.
Changing to Custom Lights may require a slight adjustment to the truss rod to alter the neck relief (increase it a bit), or it may not depending on how the guitar is currently set now. If after the strings are changed and have settled in, the guitar still feels a bit 'stiff', I would contact Taylor Customer Service to see if there is another Authorized repair center locally that you might be able to have the guitar looked at.

If you were using Light gauge strings on the Yamaha and Hohner and they have a standard (25.5") scale length, there really shouldn't be any reason why your 714CE would need to have Custom Lights put on it to make the playability more favorable. There seems to be some area(s) of the set-up that need to be examined and addressed. I'm just wondering if the tech sighted down the neck to determine the neck angle was correct, measured the neck relief and the action at the nut. Some things can be 'looked at', but others should be inspected a bit closer.

Hopefully, everything will turn out well in the end. Please let us know how it all works out.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Sure, there is no substitute nor shortcut to gaining proficiency ...in this case it's finger/hand strength, stamina, and finger-tip callouses, all to support you in your fingerstyle endeavor.  That said, Pure Tone's comments are ALL 100% right on, IMHO.   Read it again carefully. 

A good tech can't perform magic nor "make" anyone play better; but a truly good tech can make the instrument more conducive to accomplishing your mission.  It is more than mere "technical prowess"; the guy should be listening to what you're looking for.   A setup is personal.  Given the info you've written here, I'd opine that the tech you went to was not terribly concerned with serving your specific needs.  In his defense, perhaps because "warranty work" doesn't really pay him, and yours is "within spec" so he's not going to invest in that job.  One alternative is to seek another tech, but also to be willing to pay for that good setup.

Edward

kidrid

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Thanks for all those posts.  I was also concerned about the 'action' on my new 612e.  Painful fingertips, hand fatigue when on the higher frets, now less so with repeated use.  I also had been noodling on the electric for oh so many years, so I reminded myself that acoustic guitars are, of course, a different experience.
Most of the trouble for me were the low E, A, D.  I thought about changing just those to the next lowest gauge, and the Taylor people told me that I could certainly do this.  I was told to loosen the truss rod a tad if I got any buzzing, since lighter strings produce less tension.  I have not tried the different strings yet.  Also, if anyone wants to try this I'm sure most of you know that you can purchase strings individually on the Elixir web site.
As for lowering string height, I would assume that a shave off the ol' bridge would be where to start assuming the neck has the proper relief, but I am no tech.  My understanding is that neck relief, per se, is not the way to go for adjustment of string height.   I am going to check out Brothers Music in Wind Gap, PA for consultation.  Both of these gents used to work at Martin and seem to know their stuff.  They are Taylor certified, to boot, and can be seen by appointment on off hours if necessary.  http://brothersmusicshop.com/about.html
Finally, as I have read (but not necessarily adhered to with past purchases), you may have to try multiple guitars to find the one that fits.  Just because these instruments are built to amazing specs and are beautifully crafted and wonderfully reviewed, you won't be happy if things are uncomfortable (assuming all technical aspects of the setup are supposedly good, and a competent tech has done all he or she can do).
Happy strumming!

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
Hi! I just purchased a 714ce yesterday. I have been playing about a year, and I don't know any of the technical stuff, but I know after picking up a lot of guitars over a year that each one feels different to me. To me it's all about how low the action is, the width of the neck makes a difference too. I've noticed that electric guitars are very easy to fret, but it's not an electric that I crave to play. I've just been learning finger style the last month and  I'm fretting chords slower just because my strumming hand is doing something different! As a newer player i feel like I'm more sensitive to little things than more experienced players. It's also important to find a guitar shop that's sensitive to your needs. Playing a guitar is such an individual thing, it's not one size fits all!

ppop

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
Well I put the Elixir Custom Lights on the 714 last night.  WOW !  what a difference it made.  I was able to practice over an hour and I can say that it was much easier to fret.  And to tell you the truth I can't tell that much difference in the sound of the lighter strings.  I think that this is gonna help me tremendously.  Thanks to everyone for their insight and help with this matter.

Lizzy,  you brought up and interesting thing in your post.  After reading your post I realized that I am taking longer to make a chord with my left hand like you said.  I was wondering why I was stumbling a bit with my left hand making chords since I started fingerpicking.  I guess its like patting your head and rubbing your stomach.  Getting you hands to do something that is not natural takes a little while I guess.  Anway now that I have addressed the problem that I had,  maybe things will start to click for me.

Thanks Again
Jimmy

I watch,  I listen,  I'm gonna learn

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »
good for you Ppop. i'm learning to like the mediums( that were probably on your guitar) more and more myself. a little tough to deal with at first, like a sore wrist after first attempting the bar F repeatedly.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »
Just for clarity, 714's come equipped with light gauge Elixirs, not medium gauge.  (The x16s come with mediums.)The OP has switched to custom lights. In any case, glad to hear that it's working out....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood