Author Topic: 714CE Hard to Fret  (Read 6528 times)

ppop

714CE Hard to Fret
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
Need a little advice from you.  I have just started learning how to fingerpick.  So I got this wild idea that a better guitar would help me learn quicker, being that it would be easier to play than some of the cheaper guitars that I have.  Well I currently have a very old Hohner and a Yamaha thats about 5 years old.  Neither guitar is worth more than 250.00 but they sound pretty good.  Anyway I purchased a 2012 Taylor 714ce sunburst, engleman spruce top with rosewood.  I thought that this guitar would be easier to play than the cheaper guitars that I have,  well I was wrong,  this thing eats up the fingers on my left hand.  Even though I have only been playing for a couple of years I am trying very hard to learn how to make music.  But I have been so disappointed with this very costly guitar that I have.  Dont get me wrong here,  This guitar is beautifully crafted and sounds wonderful,  but it is so dang hard to fret vs the cheaper guitars that I have.  Can you give me any ideas what might be wrong,  I really want to play this guitar but I keep going back to the other ones because they aren't so hard to fret as this Taylor.
Jimmy

I watch,  I listen,  I'm gonna learn

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 714CE Hard to Fret
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
Let's start with the most obvious thing:  are the older guitars tuned up to the same pitch as the 714?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
First off, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to stop by.

Don't know how you acquired your Taylor but it sounds a bit like it may need a set up. If you purchased from a store, take it back and ask for a setup. Be ready to tell them how you play and they will set the action accordingly. If you got it used from an individual, try to find an authorized Taylor Dealer with a good tech and have them set it up. It may cost you for the set up but not a whole bunch.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

ppop

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
I use the same tuner on all 3 guitars,  so I suppose they are in the same pitch,  and I purchased the guitar from a local guitar shop.  They told me that they checked it out when it arrived at their shop.  Now what that means I don't know.  Maybe I need to carry it back and have them check it again. 

Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy
Jimmy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
The next obvious thing would be the strings... the Taylor comes with Elixirs, which are probably different from what you have on your other guitars.  Or, the neck width may be different. 

I recently bought a guitar that has a different neck profile from my Taylors - it took a while (and some hand cramping) to get accustomed to that difference.

Have the set-up checked.  Then, understand that you are probably playing the new 714 more... the hand will adapt.  Any time I get a new guitar, there is "the honeymoon," the overplaying, and toughening up.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

sitedrifter

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »
Captain Jim is right about the neck style. When I bought my Taylor I did not think much of it until I went and played my Yamaha A1M and wow was it easier to play. However, the Taylor is the one I use every day and I now play it better then my other guitars!

As others said, take it back to the store and have them adjust it to your liking.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:08:41 AM by sitedrifter »
Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

PureTone

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »
The Hohner and Yamaha probably have a 1 11/16" nut compared to the standard 1 3/4" on the 714CE, but that wouldn't necessarily be the main cause of difficult fretting.

The Taylor came with Elixir 80/20 NanoWeb light gauge strings from the factory, which are considered 'low-tension' compared to most standard hexcore strings and in general, 80/20s are lower in tension than Phosphor Bronze (92/8) for the same gauge when tuned to concert pitch.

If the strings aren't excessively high off the fretboard (Taylor specs for steel 6 strings are 6/64" E and 4/64" e, with 0.004-0.007" neck relief) and the guitar seems a little 'stiff' to fret, I would check the neck relief to see if it can reduced any and if that doesn't solve it, have the action at the nut looked at.

If the shop is is authorized to do Taylor warranty repairs, the tech should be able to tell if the neck angle is correct. There is a possibility that the neck may need to be adjusted with a different combination of shims.

Hopefully it is a simple fix and that the shop has a tech that can do more than just sand down the saddle.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:19:33 PM by PureTone »

ppop

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:51 PM »
Thanks Guys for the response.  I will take it to get it checked this Friday.  In my thread I stated that it was hard to fret.  What I guess really is the problem is that the strings are very hard to press down and hold for very long.  Maybe a nut height problem.  Seems that the strings on the Taylor are a lot harder to press down than the strings on the other guitars.  Maybe it just that I am not use to a high $ guitar.  Probably just my left hand instead of the Taylor.  LOL

Jimmy
Jimmy

losshack

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »
Hi Ppop,

It seems strange that your Taylor would be harder to fret.  In 2008 I bought a GS8e which at the time was the nicest and easiest guitar I've ever played.  I went to GC assuming I would buy a Martin guitar since everyone I knew played a Martin.  I quickly fell in love with feel and tone of taylor guitars.  When I travel, I constantly visit GCs and play their variety of taylor guitars to kill time.  I rarely run into a taylor that is difficult to fret or play. 

I really think your guitar needs a set up.  Good luck and have fun, the 714ce is a very nice guitar!

Los 

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
definitely have the shop do a setup.
the first thing that popped into my head when i read your first post is strings...  it's possible that the previous owner put mediums or even heavies on there. the pitfalls of buying used. that may have been what they liked. i like mediums myself but i'm a bit more muscle heavy than the average player. the lights sound good to me but it's like trying to work with wisps of gossamer web to me.
when you have them look at it have them install some light EXP16 or Elixir lights. i'm willing to bet that it'll solve your dilemna( i'm not a good gambler, more of a donater if anyone wants to take me up on that bet).
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

catan

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
In my experience the factory Taylor setups would feel much too high for leadwork...but for a med strummer/occasional fingerstyle like myself it is sufficiently low.
Gear:
2011 Taylor 414ce Fall LTD (Sitka/EIR)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
Thanks Guys for the response.  I will take it to get it checked this Friday.  In my thread I stated that it was hard to fret.  What I guess really is the problem is that the strings are very hard to press down and hold for very long.  Maybe a nut height problem.  Seems that the strings on the Taylor are a lot harder to press down than the strings on the other guitars.  Maybe it just that I am not use to a high $ guitar.  Probably just my left hand instead of the Taylor.  LOL

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Well you've already heard the answer: setup setup setup :)

Keep in mind there is not one "setup spec" that is correct ...not even "factory spec" is "correct" any more than one kind of car suits all purposes, let alone tastes.  FWIW, Taylor puts out one of the best-spec'd setups on a factory guitar, IMHO ...but lots happens between the factory, the store wall, and your home.  Then there's time and climate that lends its share of whoopteedoos on what was once a -well-playing guitar.  Yet that said, a truly proper setup is the result of a skilled tech who understands the actual person playing the guit. 

What that means is there are a bunch of hacks who say they can do a setup as it is a relatively easy job to do, and even easier to screw up!  Furthermore, a truly good tech will ask you what you want, how you play, even what style of music ...all to meet your personal requirements for a truly proper setup that works for your style and tastes.  IMHO, there is simply no shortcut around asking around for a good tech in your area who enjoys a great reputation.  Hope that gives you a bit o' food for thought :)

Edward

otis66

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
You have to keep playing until you develope callsuses on the tips of your fingers. Once your finger tips develop callsuses the strings will not hurt. You also need to strengthen your fingers/Wrist/forearms/shoulders. You also need to stretch your fingers/wrist/forarms/shoulders. You also might need to detune your guitar a half or whole step untill you build up your playing musels. Try fingerpicking on an electric guitar until your fingers are strong enough to play the acoustic. . After a while you will able to play any acoustic guitar. When I started playing acoustic I played through the pain...callsuses develped on my finger tips and started to fall off. Once the top skin  fell off I had a tender callsuses. Once the callsuses got tough I was on my way. You should also get a finger  exerciser to help build your fingers up. I still use my finger exerciser. A Taylor 714 is an excellent guitar for finger picking, strumming, and flat picking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:30:36 AM by otis66 »

ppop

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Well guys I carried the guitar to my local dealer Friday where I purchased it.  The tech which is Taylor certified checked the guitar out and he said that it was in factory specs and that it looked OK to him.  He said that he could lower the action on the nut a little but he was afraid that would open up other problems such as string buzz, etc.  He recommened that I put Custom Light Elixr's on it and that should help.  Gonna try the strings tonight sure hope that helps.  Guess I need to work on the callus thing.
Jimmy

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
ppop, did he ask you what kind of music you play? How you play?

Seems to me, that is central to getting a setup taylored (pun intended) for you!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber