Author Topic: GS8  (Read 5096 times)

a1terrier

GS8
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
Hi All
Called at a Taylor dealer today and had a go on a GS8. Wonderful guitar. Been on Taylor website and it says discontinued. Is this true as shop said it was a regular stock item. Only thing I didn't like was it had no pick guard, but apart from that it was stunning in every way.
214CE Koa Dlx

shaberd

Re: GS8
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
I think they have changed the naming for the acoustic models from GS8 to 816. (816ce would be a 816 with cut away (c) and electronics (e)). so although a GS8 is marked as discontinued, it is more just renamed as a 816.
Taylor All Mohogany 12-Fret / Go Parlor / GS Mini / Godin Kingpin 2 / Aria TA-65 (335) / Yairi Classical

a1terrier

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks for reply
So its an 816E, no cutaway.
Fabulous guitar, can you get a pickguard fitted?
214CE Koa Dlx

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
Thanks for reply

Yup! you can either have Taylor put one on at the factory, or just have your local Taylor dealer order you one and they can put it on etc.  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

andyi5

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
Thanks for reply

Not quite - the equivalent guitar would now be the plain 816 (no e). If you want the electronics on it it's a bit more expensive. The 816's are coming out of the factory with pickguard, as you can see here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-816-rosewood-spruce-grand-symphony-acoustic-guitar

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Weren't the "acoustic models" like GS8, GC5, etc. supposed to have a different top thickness spec too? I think a GS8 (compared to the same vintage 816) would be slightly different.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:27:03 PM »
Weren't the "acoustic models" like GS8, GC5, etc. supposed to have a different top thickness spec too? I think a GS8 (compared to the same vintage 816) would be slightly different.

I believe that just the backs were tooled to different thicknesses based upon the species of wood. Not sure what Taylor does now....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »

Hey Marty,

Yup, that is precisely what I recall ...even saw it in Taylor's own print.  But that was then ...back when there was the so-called "acoustic line" and the nomenclature that went with it. 

Now that they have common model designations, I have no idea if that is still the case.  My guess (based solely on speculation) is that the tops are now all the same, not only because they have intentionally streamlined the names but also the production of guitars ...i.e. one production line (with varying options) instead of the two differing models paralleling one another.

Edward

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
hope you enjoy the GS8. those are great guitars. the Grand Symphony body is definitely my favorite( may all the 814ce owners try to smite me! ;D) i'm a moderate to heavy strummer but have no issues with any of my guitars not having pickguards. Taylor's done their homework on the finishes. tough as nails. i personally like the the look without the pickguard and i know it's not true but, i like to think that it sounds better without the guard.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

Hey Marty,

Yup, that is precisely what I recall ...even saw it in Taylor's own print.  But that was then ...back when there was the so-called "acoustic line" and the nomenclature that went with it. 

Now that they have common model designations, I have no idea if that is still the case.  My guess (based solely on speculation) is that the tops are now all the same, not only because they have intentionally streamlined the names but also the production of guitars ...i.e. one production line (with varying options) instead of the two differing models paralleling one another.

Edward

Yes, they are all the same now, just with and without cutaway and electronics.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

pjroberts

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
This is true. GS8 is phased out in favor of 816 and it's same everything as 814 with exception of shape. it is a mighty fine sounding shape with significant uplift on bass (more piano) and a tiny bit of the crisp sparkle gone -- which is what made it a tough choice because I wanted both. I chose the 816 (moved from a GS5) and have decided I'm in love. Only 2 weeks in so I'm still honeymooning and playing with strings -- but this is an exceptionally balanced instrument.

The other big difference from the old GS8 is more bling, which I thought I didn't like.

But I do.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:30:38 AM by pjroberts »
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

mikeguywest

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
I have a GS8e (2012) and absolutely love it! There are differences, though, between the old GS8 line and the 816's. I'm not sure about wood thicknesses and all of that, but they have upgraded the binding to maple from Ivoroid, and have upgraded the fret board inlays. They also went to a satin finish on the headstock instead of the gloss that is on the GS8's. The 816's also cost more than the GS8's. I like the fact that there is no pickguard as they cover up some interesting detail in the top grain. That's simply a personal preference. I removed the pickguard from my GS Mini Hog and like that look better too. I like the more simple looks of the old GS8 line, but that matches my playing style I guess. Either way you can't go wrong!  8)

edited for price
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:18:29 AM by UTGF-Team »