Author Topic: 2 questions about the bridge on a solid body  (Read 1097 times)

Sfhansen

2 questions about the bridge on a solid body
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
Unfortunately I,ve cracked the stoptail plate in the bridge, I'm talking to tech about getting a new, but I fear it will take a long time.

1. Please, Does one of you know a way I could get one fast.. Maybe you've got an extra or know of a way I could one

2. I'm thinking about getting a tremolo bridge instead, have you got experience with both? What are the pros and cons about it.. I think I remember reading something about loosing some sustain choosing a tremolo bridge

I will be pleased if you could me with these questions

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 2 questions about the bridge on a solid body
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
Are you talking about a stoptail on a Taylor solidbody?  How in blazes did that happen?? (sorry, I gotta ask :) ).

If it's a Taylor, then call the factory and order a replacement.  They ship out same day, and if you're desperate, pony up the dough for "2nd day" or overnight shipment.

As for trem vs hardtail, that's an age-old question.  But the difference goes beyond "sustain" as "tone" differs between the two bridge styles, just as bends will also feel a bit different.  Not to mention you can also set up the trem to "float" (which means you can pull it sharp), vs "decked" where you can only push down to "flat" notes.  Each method has its pros/cons, just as there are pros/cons to hardtail and trem bridges.  The answer truly is which do you prefer, and with that preference are you willing to accept the characteristics that come with it?

Edward

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »
 Call Taylor. Bet you're not the first.  :)

I don't like trems. If I had a personal guitar tech to keep 'em tuned, then maybe.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Sfhansen

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 03:17:57 AM »
Are you talking about a stoptail on a Taylor solidbody?  How in blazes did that happen?? (sorry, I gotta ask :) ).

If it's a Taylor, then call the factory and order a replacement.  They ship out same day, and if you're desperate, pony up the dough for "2nd day" or overnight shipment.

As for trem vs hardtail, that's an age-old question.  But the difference goes beyond "sustain" as "tone" differs between the two bridge styles, just as bends will also feel a bit different.  Not to mention you can also set up the trem to "float" (which means you can pull it sharp), vs "decked" where you can only push down to "flat" notes.  Each method has its pros/cons, just as there are pros/cons to hardtail and trem bridges.  The answer truly is which do you prefer, and with that preference are you willing to accept the characteristics that come with it?

Edward

Well.. If you must know ;) too many muscles too little brain. I tighten the anchor screws too much while I was taising the action ;(

Good answer.. I'll have to find a shop with a solid body with trem.. I don't like it to be too swampy

Thank you for answering both of you