Author Topic: would installing a pickup decrease the collectibilty of a taylor  (Read 2092 times)

small axe

i am putting in a l r baggs element in my taylor 810 brazilian.  would it make worth less since it not stock anymore.  thanks

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: would installing a pickup decrease the collectibilty of a taylor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
To a collector of guitars (or anything else for that matter), yes, modifying it will certainly reduce it's value.  Whether it reduces the value to a player as opposed to a collector would depend on whether the player wants a pickup and whether the player wants THAT particular pickup.

PureTone

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
The LR Baggs Element requires drilling a hole through the bridge in the saddle slot for the Element UST.

For a completely reversible install, the Lyric could be used without drilling any holes.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/lyric-acoustic-guitar-microphone
The install could be done with Command strips, which should allow the system to be removed later without traces of adhesive.
http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Products/Catalog/~/Command-Products?N=5584772+5924736+3294857497&rt=r3

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry about. If you like the guitar and want to use a pickup, go for it.  Its value may be decreased for collectors but gigging musicians (and anyone else who wants amplification) might find it desirable.
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert

Roman

• Music, the Universal language
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »
In my opinion, only if it's a "crappy" installation would there be a problem.
614ce
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana
Old Kent

mischultz

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »
FWIW, Taylors for a number of years have had the saddle slot predrilled and the endpin reamed to 1/2", so there shouldn't be any physical alteration necessary beyond adhesive for the battery Velcro (and preamp, depending on the pickup). Just hang onto the original endpin and the installation should be fully reversible, provided again you can clean the adhesive.

Best,

Michael

cpmusic

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
Unless you have something very unique which is highly sought after, guitars make lousy investments. If a guitar appreciates, it's usually due solely to inflation. And Taylor isn't old enough to have attained the kind of historic value of Martin or Gibson.

Of course, modifications are a personal matter, and if you don't feel comfortable adding a pickup to your Taylor, then it's probably better to leave it alone or use a pickup which can be removed without leaving tell-tale signs. FWIW, though, I have an '83 615 which has a pickup with a strap jack, and I couldn't care less whether it's lost any value. I've had that guitar for 25 years, and it's not going anywhere.
Chris

MDS08

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
I had the  LR Baggs Ibeam installed in my 910 and sounds amazing! It works really well. I'm not worried about resale value because my Taylor is staying with me until I die. Its nice having the option to plug in and nobody knows its there and I can take it out anytime.

2010 910
2013 D18

paul_zm

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
If you wanted a Taylor with collectible value, I think you'd need to get a limited edition one. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

lestergibson

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
FWIW, Taylors for a number of years have had the saddle slot predrilled and the endpin reamed to 1/2", so there shouldn't be any physical alteration necessary beyond adhesive for the battery Velcro (and preamp, depending on the pickup). Just hang onto the original endpin and the installation should be fully reversible, provided again you can clean the adhesive.

Best,

Michael

I had to drill the endpin out very slightly to a full 1/2" on my 2012 GA8 when installing a JJB 330 Prestige.  The drilling didn't take a lot off the guitar but it did take a bit. 
2010 Les Paul R0
2003 USA Strat w/ Bare Kuckle Irish Tours
1991 Jackson Fusion XL
Double Fat Mutt Strat w/ Bare Knuckle Mules
Yamaha Pacifica 120s
Crafter TGAE/06
2007 Sanford (Furch) OM5V
2012 GA3
2012 GA8
2013 Furch G20-CM