Author Topic: 114  (Read 3432 times)

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
i'm thinking about a 114 new but i have been watching ebay for a used 214 or even a 314.
I have no need for a CE. i just started playing at 58 yrs old about 8 months ago and doubt i'll be playing on stage.
buying new i would have to stay with the 114.. how ever I played a 414 at GC ... wow.
the 114 is a good step up from my Mini in sound and plays beautifully.
not sure what to do :-\
any feed back would be greatly appreciated .. thanks gang
GSMini
214sb

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 114
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
Jimmer,

It's always dicey trying to tell someone how to spend his or her money, but having bought and sold a few guitars, I've come to the conclusion that it makes a lot of sense to buy the absolute best guitar you can afford.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get frugal, only to realize four months later that they should have popped for the better guitar.  If the 414 makes you say "wow," I'd give some serious thought to getting that one.  A short time after you buy it, you likely won't miss the money, but you'll be dazzled by the sound of that guitar forever.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jerrytubes

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Jimmer,

.......it makes a lot of sense to buy the absolute best guitar you can afford.

Good advice from Dennis.  Take what you would have spent on the 114, sell the mini, and find a nice used 414.

I had a 114(ce) for several years, and recently traded up to a 314(ce).  Although the 114 was good, there's a world of difference, both in playability and appearance (especially after investing an additional three Benjamins upgrading the 314ce).  ;D

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
Hi Jimmer,

The price difference between a 114 and 314 or 414 seems steep at the onset, but amortize that add'l cost over years of added enjoyment and that ends the discussion ...IMHO. 

This is, of course, based on "more enjoyment" one derives from the guitar.  There is naturally a point of diminishing returns in which one spends more money and receives no more of those feel-goods.  That is the balance, challenge, (and fun part) of finding the right guitar for you.

You asked for advice, here's mine: go play many other guitars. 
Yes the 414, but also 314s, other models, other body styles, and other brands, as well.  You will quickly find that certain marques have a "feel" about them, and you will naturally gravitate towards one and away from others.  Taylor, without question, has that "feel" that we love, from the body shape to the neck carve and action, and certainly the taylor "family tone," so to speak.  BTW, once you step away from the 100/200 models into the 300+ models, apart from solid woods, you're getting a wider neck (1 3/4" at the nut vs 1 11/16") which for many, feels less cramped and easier to play.  But try others and weigh that cost vs enjoyment thing, then pull the trigger. 

FWIW, I think you've already "sold yourself" on the 414 simply by virtue of your post and tone here :)  But before committing, try that 414 alongside others in that shop, and if you can other guitars elsewhere (some stores like GC as well as some web-shops have a return policy).  Oh yeah, I'd also sell/trade the mini to help fund the "upgrade" you're looking for.  And of course, used is the best bang-for-buck, no doubt.  Just some food for thought ...hope that helps you a bit :)

Edward

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:15:27 PM by Edward »

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
The best buy on Ebay in terms of discount off the new price is the 314ce.  The typical used 114/214 sell too close to their new price (from independent shops, not GC or MF) to make them good buys, IMO.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
A short time after you buy it, you likely won't miss the money, but you'll be dazzled by the sound of that guitar forever.

Agree 100%.

But, before spending the extra $$$, do play lots of guitars - one will insist "buy me, I'm just right for you".
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
i'm inclined to agree with everone else. you'll be much happier in the long run with the better guitar. it stings a little harder at first but as soon as that sting dies away, you'll be much happier for much longer. i'll play my lower end ones when i'm out camping or travelling, but i can't wait to get home and play the "real" ones. it's a nice feeling when i get home. plus there's the fact that i work a lot harder learning with the better ones.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Jimmer

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
well you guys have stepped up to plate again with some very sound advise and I do appreciate that a lot.
I think the 1 3/4 nut is huge... from what I have seen so far, there is not a huge difference from the 314 to the 414.
one thing that does concern me is I have seen guitars like 312, 324 etc.  that I don't find in a retail shop so I do not have the chance to play them. I like the GC & GA body styles.. not a big fan of the DN's.
I am somewhat familiar with the body styles and what they are best suited for like strumming. flat picking , finger style etc.
I'm an 8 month old beginner so I have not yet figured out which way I'm headed. I do like the finger style though.
now i'm just ramblen on....
Thanks again for your help everyone. Very happy I found this site

Jim
GSMini
214sb

Jason Paul

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
When I was shopping, I was planning on a 214ce. In the store, I ended up playing a 114ce, a 214ce, and a 314ce. There wasn't really that much difference, tonally, between the 114ce and the 214ce. Mainly the differences are in the aesthetics and the finish.

The 314ce was noticeably better in tone. It was fuller and richer, and I knew it may also open up in the future, being solid wood. That, plus the other advantages, made it worth the additional cost, to me. So, I bought it.

One thought that confirmed it though, was this: If I bought the 114ce or the 214ce, would I always be wishing I'd bought the 314ce? Now, I don't have to worry about that, and I haven't yet wished I'd bought one of the other two.

Jason

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
still in between huh? that's exactly why the GA body was created. it does it all very well. good for fingerstyle and srumming. it's the perfect body for a guitar. i'm an imperfect person, therefore i GS it.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
Hey there Jim,

FWIW, I had posted up a thread days ago about my preference toward the GC body.  Maybe it's my advancing age, maybe just changing tastes/preference, don't know for sure, but I have grown to prefer the smaller body (still with 1 3/4 nut) as the quintessential "home guitar" that I feel I can just wrap around and play.  And along with the smaller physical dimensions of the GC body is the slightly shorter scale that eases the string tension a bit, and also seems to deepen the voice a tad.  The only "problem" with the GC Taylors is that not many stores stock them, as opposed to the ubiquitous GA (my 2nd-favorite body shape) so auditioning them may prove a bit more difficult.  But if you're considering selling the others and pooling funds for this your one special guitar, the GC is a serious contender IMHO, and is often overlooked as the more popular body styles steal most of the spotlight.  And for that matter, look at the 12-fret models too if you can ...those sound amazing!  Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

Edward

kitesurfer

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
so jimmer, made any decisions?  I'm in jACKSONVILLE florida and i have a 114 i bought last spring.  trading up is not an option for me as the Taylor shop don't do trades.  but being a little older than you, i've decided to treat myself and upgrade.  i  thought when i bought this a year ago, i was buying high end because no way would i ever have paid that much for a guitar before and now i find myself willing to pay much more.  i need to stay off forums!!!!  Where in florida do you live?

Jimmer

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
I live in the west palm beach area. And I get it.. my Wife and I have had the talk. She agrees with all you guys. She has basically said .. When you buy one you better make it count cuz that's it pal.
I love the 314, 414, and have wanted a hog top since i bought the Mini spruce. So.. I'm looking at the 324. I want it.

Once again you guys have been very helpful.. Thanks

Jimmer
GSMini
214sb

El Diablo

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
Nice to see some other Floridians.

I'm in St. Augustine.