Author Topic: 410ce LOW VOLUME ISSUE  (Read 4199 times)

dfaunce

410ce LOW VOLUME ISSUE
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »
I have a 410ce (~ 9 years old). I normally play unplugged, but now that I'm playing at my church I finally needed to plug in. The sound tech kept telling me my volume is too low. He was cranking me up on the board and my volume was max on my guitar but the house volume was still relatively low.

I changed out the batteries (takes AA - not 9V) and it didn't solve anything.

They don't have this issue with other acoustic guitarist - so its not the sound guy or the board.

I'm scared its a preamp/pickup issue. Any thoughts on what might be the culprit?

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
Re: 410ce LOW VOLUME ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
do you have an amp at home try it on?
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Are you using a standard instrument cable, or a balanced cable?
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

greg947

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:25:07 AM »
To elaborate on what Jivauk said, if you use a balanced cable like an XLR to TRS or a TRS to TRS you will get the maximum potential from your Taylor.  If you are not using a balanced cable, like a 1/4" phono plug on each end, you can expect to lose one half of your volume. 

Greg

2007 Taylor GA7
2010 Taylor GSmini
2010 Taylor GS8e
2014 Taylor 712e FLTD
1973 Guild F212

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
Whether or not you use a balanced cable, you and the sound tech shouldn't have to max out your volume in order to get sufficient sound.  I regularly play at open mics with unbalanced cables, and never have to turn the pot past the 12-o'clock position.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
I have a 410ce (~ 9 years old). I normally play unplugged, but now that I'm playing at my church I finally needed to plug in. The sound tech kept telling me my volume is too low. He was cranking me up on the board and my volume was max on my guitar but the house volume was still relatively low.

They don't have this issue with other acoustic guitarist - so its not the sound guy or the board.

I'm scared its a preamp/pickup issue. Any thoughts on what might be the culprit?

Hi there,

First off, welcome to the board ...glad to have you here!  :D

More than some of the early ES systems (AA-battery versions) had some issues.  FWIW, I had an 04 that developed body-sensor issues that gave me weird, intermittant problems (this was maybe 4 years or so ago).  It's an easy fix for an authorized Taylor tech as it's likely a marginal/failing sensor where they simply replace the harness that plugs into the preamp.  Simply call the factory, give them your zipcode, and they'll give you a few techs who are in your area.  Or ship it to the factory where they can do the deal but you're on the hook for shipping costs.

The good news: if you are the original owner, they'll cover it under warranty, and you'll likely get a 2nd-gen ES (that's the 9v version) retrofitted on their dime.  I you're not the original owner, you're going to be picking up the expense so my personal recommendation is to upgrade to the current ES (3rd-gen now).  Each ES sounded better, more naturallly "acoustic" than its predecessor, so going to the current model is a big and very much worthwhile difference from the AA version, IMHO.  BTW, if you choose to do the latter, you can get in far cheaper than the ship-it-to-the-factory method ...PM me and I'll tell ya how as I've done it on three guitars now ;)

Hope that helps you a bit.  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:03:35 PM by Edward »

MikeB

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
New 2012 310ce owner here  - balanced cables for an acoustic?   Don't remember reading anything about this anywhere?   Would not do much good (I would think) unless the board you are plugging into has a TRS balanced input.  I have plugged my 310ce into a Tascam audio interface with standard TS cable and have found the volume fine.  Plugged into a few PA systems and volume was ok.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

Yessir, the ES' preamp is designed from the get-go for either TS or TRS cable.  Going balanced offers a much better sig-noise ratio (and a 6db output boost, IIRC), and of course the obvious benefits of a low-impedance line.  Not that any of this translates to improved tone at all, so if going unbalanced already gives you what you want, there really is no need to go balanced.  But you may want to try it out anyway (most consoles I've seen have a TRS input with the XLR) and see what you hear :)
You are correct that a properly functioning ES will offer plenty of gain running a regular TS cable into most PAs/consoles (so I do think that the OP likely has a genuine malfuntion in his guit).

Edward
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:29:36 PM by Edward »

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »
To elaborate on what Jivauk said, if you use a balanced cable like an XLR to TRS or a TRS to TRS you will get the maximum potential from your Taylor.  If you are not using a balanced cable, like a 1/4" phono plug on each end, you can expect to lose one half of your volume. 

Greg

To further elaborate, switching from an unbalanced cable to a balanced on, assuming the input jack is balanced, will result in a 3 dB increase in volume. Note that a 3 dB increase is not perceived as a doubling of volume. It takes a 10 dB increase for the volume to sound twice as loud. It does, however, take a doubling of output power to effect a 3 dB increase in volume.

Therefore, if someone is getting insufficient volume with the guitar’s volume turned all the way up, the problem is not a balanced/unbalanced issue. Something else is the cause of the low volume.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

Is this the first time you’ve experienced a problem amplifying your guitar or is this the first time you plugged-in?

Guitarcam

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

Hi there,

First off, welcome to the board ...glad to have you here!  :D

More than some of the early ES systems (AA-battery versions) had some issues.  FWIW, I had an 04 that developed body-sensor issues that gave me weird, intermittant problems (this was maybe 4 years or so ago).  It's an easy fix for an authorized Taylor tech as it's likely a marginal/failing sensor where they simply replace the harness that plugs into the preamp.  Simply call the factory, give them your zipcode, and they'll give you a few techs who are in your area.  Or ship it to the factory where they can do the deal but you're on the hook for shipping costs.

The good news: if you are the original owner, they'll cover it under warranty, and you'll likely get a 2nd-gen ES (that's the 9v version) retrofitted on their dime.  I you're not the original owner, you're going to be picking up the expense so my personal recommendation is to upgrade to the current ES (3rd-gen now).  Each ES sounded better, more naturallly "acoustic" than its predecessor, so going to the current model is a big and very much worthwhile difference from the AA version, IMHO.  BTW, if you choose to do the latter, you can get in far cheaper than the ship-it-to-the-factory method ...PM me and I'll tell ya how as I've done it on three guitars now ;)

Hope that helps you a bit.  :D

Edward

When did taylor started with the 3rd gen ES on their guitars??? 

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
2003: ES launched with AA batteries
2007: ES went to 9v. and revoiced the preamp

2010: the 3rd-generation ES, and current on today's guitars so equipped.  Preamp went to discrete components and was again revoiced (revoiced mids for less "magnet pickup" sounding and much more "acoustic" to my ear), and body-sensor harness went from two down to one sensor.

Edward

Guitarcam

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply Edward!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
You bet :)