Author Topic: Anyone tried the T3?  (Read 5440 times)

ewalling

Anyone tried the T3?
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
This looks like an impressive instrument. Has anyone tried one?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Anyone tried the T3?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Yup, tried a few of em: two with Bigsby, one w/o.  Great guitars, nice vibe.  Played exactly as Taylors should, which is to say, of course, superbly.  The tone controls, in particular, are interesting: read up on it as I can't recall specifically what they do.  They are not active circuits.  But definitely not a mere capacitor, either: rotate it full one way, you ge this, rotate the other way ...whoa, what happened?  Yeah, it's cool.

I think it depends entirely on what you are looking for in an electric, semi or solid bod.  While I liked them well enough, I didn't feel I wanted them enough to take em home.  I guess that makes me more a Fender/Gibby guy when it comes to electrics.  That aside, there certainly is lots to like about the T3, IMHO.

Edward

ewalling

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »
That's interesting, thanks. My interest would be as a Chet-picking/jazz-blues fingerstyle-type instrument. Do you think it would be good for that? I notice from the website that the guitar ships with 10-46 strings, which seems extremely light for fingerstyle. Still, I suppose it could be set up with a heavier gauge, couldn't it?

ewalling

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
Judging by the response to this thread, I'm guessing that the T3 has little interest for the folks here. Even more ominous is the fact that neither my local Sam Ash or GC have had any in (as far as I know); Elderly Instruments doesn't stock them, despite having around 50 Taylor acoustics at any one time, and even Guitar Rodeo didn't have any when I checked yesterday.

I got a more enthusiastic response to this question on The Gear Page, but someone there reckons Taylor may be considering winding down its electric models given their scarcity in stores and conspicuous absence in the recent edition of Wood and Steel. I'm still intrigued by this guitar, though. The review in Premier Guitar Magazine was unconditionally positive and the guitar looks beautiful and a dream to play.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:36:07 AM by ewalling »

Matt McGriff

• Might be my fault...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
As I do every quarter, I enjoyed thumbing through the latest Wood and Steel and I have to say, a 322e is calling my name!  I happen to be in an electric guitar phase right now, really trying to expand my horizons beyond the 1st position rhythm playing of the last 17 years of my life.  That being said, of course I am interested in Taylor's electrics, because of Taylor's proven quality with the acoustics of theirs I have owned over the years.  I've been eyeballing a Solidbody with the 3 single coil setup on ebay, and in my online research to try and get a "feel" for these (actually every other sense but feel) I have seen very little buzz as compared to other guitars out there in the cyber universe.  A lot of Taylor produced stuff, but not a whole lot of independent input.  And it seems like everything I see is from the 2009 timeframe, when these were first released.

So back to my perusal of the latest Wood and Steel.  Of course I have Taylor electrics on my mind, and in reading through, I notice there is not any evidence in this marketing jem that Taylor even makes electric guitars!  Certainly not a feature story, much less a artist profile or a how-to guide on an aspect of these models.  Not even a letter to Bob from someone raving about their love for their Taylor electric, or so much as a picture of the NAMM booth or other shows that include images of the Electric line, all acoustics.  Of course, Taylor's website is still rich with electric content, but that doesn't mean much as web content always seems to lag.

So I am wondering if Taylor has dipped their toe into the electric side of things, gained some valuable R&D knowledge, seen the electrics flounder in the market and are now planning on moving away from these and discontinuing the lines?  As much as I like the idea of the solidbody, I can't play one locally, my one (now ex) local Taylor dealer, My Favorite Guitars, never had any electrics stocked and the GC here doesn't have any.  I would hate to pull the trigger on one that I can't play and find out I don't like it and then have a guitar that has now been dropped from the line and has lost all resale value.  I sent an email to Taylor asking if they are commited to the electrics and am waiting to hear back.  Thoughts?
2011 Taylor 810e
2010 Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread
2011 Taylor GSMini

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Judging by the response to this thread, I'm guessing that the T3 has little interest for the folks here. Even more ominous is the fact that neither my local Sam Ash or GC have had any in (as far as I know); Elderly Instruments doesn't stock them, despite having around 50 Taylor acoustics at any one time, and even Guitar Rodeo didn't have any when I checked yesterday.

I got a more enthusiastic response to this question on The Gear Page, but someone there reckons Taylor may be considering winding down its electric models given their scarcity in stores and conspicuous absence in the recent edition of Wood and Steel. I'm still intrigued by this guitar, though. The review in Premier Guitar Magazine was unconditionally positive and the guitar looks beautiful and a dream to play.

Well as far as Taylor's electrics go, I just don't think there is much of a following anywhere, not just in this forum.  If Bob and kurt had a tough time breaking into the acoustic market in 74, I think their strategy of offering superior build and playability at that time was their trump card.  And as is often said, the rest is history.  But what do they bring to the electric world's table?  Nothing new or ground breaking, IMHO.  This is no slam on them at all, as I am an ardent Taylor fan.  But as an avid player for many a decade, I personally never witnessed any "inherent excitement" imbued by their electrics, contrast this to what their acoustics bring to the marketplace; and this, since their inception.

If I may speculate on this, perhaps one reason for the tepid reception by the buying public is that there are far more good electrics out there that make for a very competitive field (as opposed to inexpensive acoustics that are also really good ...c'mon, it's easier to do good-n-cheap on a 'lectric ;) ), and at all price strata from decent cheapies up to the 2K mark where T had priced some of their best.  Or simply said, Taylor offered the acoustic world playability and tone that simply wasn't the norm at that time, and players responded with open arms and wallets.  And electrics?  Taylor brought good guitars to a broad field already glutted with good guitars.  Which takes nothing away from their electrics, of course, but simply means their mousetrap was no better than the myriad others already available.  And then, of course, was the already-established mindset of Taylor as the "acoustic" guys, and what did they know about electrics? 

Which brings me to ask: what do you really want in an electric?  Chet-style, chicken pickin, jazz, blues, fusion, whatever, can all be had on any decent semi-hollow (or full hollow if that is your bent) from inexpensive to stellar.  The T3s are really nice, IMHO.  If I were in the market for that style guit, I'd look used as Taylor resale on the electrics is pretty poor, which means you can score.  And of course, the million other alternatives out there: Gibbys being the obvious go-to, to a bunch of Ibanez or Epi offerings from inexpensive (and good!) to excellent.  Like a good acoustic that is "found" when she's played, do the same with a T3 and its brethren.  Body shapes, neck carves, and of course tone is all over the map so if I were you, I'd look at a T3 but not get locked into a T3.  And sorry for the long-winded response: it's been a lazy morning :)

Edward

HondaMC1

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
I bought the T-3B when it was introduced and plan to keep it.
I thought it would replace the T-5 as my favorite (when plugged in) since it has the same neck and plays so easy.
It took about (2) sets of strings before the roller bridge / Bigsby would stay in tune but it is fine now.
It is heavier than the T-5 due to the wood block.
Like the T-5, the T-3B and the Solidbody takes playing time to really appreciate the Taylor Electrics.
My son (an acomplished lead player) was visiting and played a set on my T-3B thru the Bogner and blew everyone away with the tones he was getting direct into the amp.

I have not seen any at GC or SA or the local Dealers for some time. Did not catch they were missing from the current Wood & Steel.
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs

ewalling

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
Interesting comments, Honda. What do you use the T3 for?

HondaMC1

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
I play with a group of guys in a jam/cover band.
At the time we were doing "1000 Miles from Nowhere" and "Wicked Game" which called for the Bigsby and I simply wanted the T-3B when it was introduced. It is a little harder to change strings with the Bigsby.
I am not a "Lead" player but I take both with me even to practice. I usually end up on the T-5 because I am comfortable with it.

Looks like I will soon need the frets replaced on the T-5 (7 years old) I am close to the Taylor Service Center (Great Service Operation) and can run it down there easily.
I am not using the T-3B as much as I planned (yet) but my plan was to pickup what I wanted before I retire.

It took me a while to warm up to the "Solidbody" the neck is wider and has a different feel but I like the tone's you can get from it.
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs

GASguy

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
I have a T3 I bought new several years ago from the Music Zoo.

It is one of twenty prototypes made, according to the seller, with an all maple body and neck rather than Sapele back and neck and a killer quilted maple top.

I love the tones with the HD humbuckers and they sound great split as well.

I have a lot of semihollow and hollow body guitars, mostly Heritage (5), but I also have a Gibson ES 137 custom and an ES 330 Custom Historic reissue, an Epi Elitist Sheriton, 2 PRS hollow bodies,
a G&L Trinity, and a Soloway Loon prototype (semihollow).

The T3 stands right up with the best of the semihollows  and sounds more like a traditional semi than a thinline semihollow like my limited G&L Trinity.

fmbstrummer

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
This is an interesting post to me.  Working on acoustic guitar for 8 + or- years.  Electric has not been on my radar.  The T-3 has always had my attention.  Much of this talk and I may get the GAS!

FMB

R1balla

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
one of my good friends owns a T3B and has the same amp as i do (15 watt Vox) and loves it. i love the sound he has. he plays through stomp boxes obviously but the sound is incredible. great guitar.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst