Author Topic: Taylor's loss is The Podium's gain  (Read 28797 times)

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
Re: Taylor's loss is The Podium's gain
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »
i have a tendency to only post HNGD's. when i get home, i'll take some pics of it and pm 'em to ya. should be about 2 weeks or so( i spend too much time away) yeah it's a maple. it doesn't really sound any different than your standard 614ce. i love the sound but due to the rarity of it, it gets very little play( i'm afraid to scratch it). i really love the GS's more anyway.
i did notice there's another listed on the 'bay......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310712530077?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
( i paid much less than that for mine BTW)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:15:42 AM by stepchildusmc »
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
I love my 816 and don't plan to get rid of it because it took a long path for me to find it-I've owned many a fine other Taylor, Martin, and Luthier built instruments.

I don't plan to buy another guitar for a long time, I have arrived.  Ukes don't count(one is arriving today ;D)

I think for a lot of us, the loss of Jim and Jon was about community. Everyones world these days is changing fast. Things in life that we find exciting and fulfilling are seemingly dropping off and being removed or discarded.

Jim and Jon have been a HUGE part of our Taylor community for a long long time. That's what a lot of us are going to miss.

I can find the same deals Jim offered me, right this minute I know 3 dealers that will give the same dollar amount or less-for me it wasn't about the $, it was about the man.  If you didn't know him, if you had not talked to him about things other than guitars, you wouldn't understand.

Its about our little group we have here. Its the safe place to come and be, enjoy, learn, gaze, and skip out for a few minutes each day-its a special moment we get to have each day if we join in.
Our Taylors, our friends, our Community-it all goes together. That's why its so sad for a lot of folks,

d

Thanks, Daryl - this is exactly the point for many of us here.  I like my Taylors; buying from Guitar Rodeo enhanced that experience.  I'm not picking sides or saying what I will or won't buy, or from whom, in the future.  Sorry to see the split, even though I don't have the info (nor will speculate) on why.

It all seemed to be a good relationship: good for Taylor, good for GR, and good for those who do business with both.  Sorry to see this for all involved.

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
I am afraid I am just going to have to trade my Taylor in for a Santa Cruz.  ;D  Hope Jim still has his trade-in policy going.

ewalling

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »
I am afraid I am just going to have to trade my Taylor in for a Santa Cruz.  ;D  Hope Jim still has his trade-in policy going.

Well, he always did say it was the one we would keep!     ;)

e8n

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Just to be crystal clear to all, it was not Jim's decision or desire to terminate the dealership agreement. It was Taylor's, and without warning, cause or explanation of any kind.

It was independent of the Podium transaction, which in hindsight seems to be kismet of the most providential kind!

Once again, I remind everyone that we are only getting one side of the story. The full story could be quite different from the impression that a single side paints.

Well if you have one side of a story from someone you trust and has never been anything but up front with you about everything and you only have silence from the other side it makes it pretty tough not to draw conclusions.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

lafromla1

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:25 PM »
So....are Taylors now being sold at one price (for their respective models) by retailers, similar to what Apple does with its products and retailers, where any price break is in the way of freebies and other 'gifts', or are there places that have better prices on new Taylor guitars?  If I'm going to save up and spend north of $2K, I'd like to get the best price I can.

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
There are still a variety of discounts out there, and some are still "deep" like Jim was.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
A Taylor dealer can sell any Taylor guitar at any price they desire, they simply cannot advertise in print, in-store signage, or on the internet below the agreed price that Taylor has established with their dealer network.  I believe that price is 23% of retail (full price).   Now what I have stated is fact, not speculation, not guesswork, it is simply fact.

Whatever happened between Taylor and Guitar Rodeo is between them.  All I can say regarding that matter is I have never seen a price listed on the Guitar Rodeo website that was below the MAP price.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
Taylor Guitars is not a corporation. It is wholly owned by Kurt Listug and Bob Taylor.

I have not encountered any accusations, in any post, of Jim having lied.

In addition to making assumptions about Listug and Taylor and their attorneys, you assume DennisG doesn’t know them. He may or may not.
Taylor-Listug is incorporated.
http://www.hoovers.com/company-information/company-search.html?term=taylor%20listug
Being incorporated or a corporation makes the company a separate legal entity.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Corp_vs_Inc
It is not a public traded company, but there are titled positions (VP of Sales, Marketing, Directors etc) that persons were elected to.

My point that Taylor Guitars is entirely owned by Kurt Listug and Bob Taylor (as opposed to stock holders - what most people infer from the term, corporation) still stands.

PureTone

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
My point that Taylor Guitars is entirely owned by Kurt Listug and Bob Taylor (as opposed to stock holders - what most people infer from the term, corporation) still stands.
A corporation, or being incorporated, does not require an entity to be publicly traded.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corporation
Taylor's internal structuring and titling, as well as the fact that Taylor-Listug is a separate entity from Bob and Kurt personal beings, does make Taylor a corporation. It is entirely possibly that entirely possible that there may be internal shares of 'stock' utilized Bob, Kurt and those directly below them, but even if there aren't, it doesn't change the fact that Taylor, the company, is incorporated.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
A corporation, or being incorporated, does not require an entity to be publicly traded.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corporation
Taylor's internal structuring and titling, as well as the fact that Taylor-Listug is a separate entity from Bob and Kurt personal beings, does make Taylor a corporation. It is entirely possibly that entirely possible that there may be internal shares of 'stock' utilized Bob, Kurt and those directly below them, but even if there aren't, it doesn't change the fact that Taylor, the company, is incorporated.

And yet Taylor Guitars is owned by Kurt Listug and Bob Taylor and no one else.  You can always call the company, I mean, corporation and verify my assertion.