Author Topic: 712ce 12 Fret-- Buzzing Sixth String  (Read 1251 times)

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
712ce 12 Fret-- Buzzing Sixth String
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
Nevermind the below message--I took it to a Taylor authorized repair shop and the action is WAY too low so they will need to adjust the saddle height. The truss rod adjustment is fine.  This is like having a preemie guitar--As soon as it arrives, it has to spend two weeks in the hospital! So much for out-of-the-box playability.  It's a good thing I have two other Taylors.  :-)

Hi:

I just received my 712ce 12 fret and am having a problem with a buzzing 6th string whether fretted or open.  The third string is a little buzzy too, but not nearly as bad.  I wondered if it was technique, but my "technique" doesn't produce the buzz on my other two Taylors. 

Here's my question, the guitar came from back east (I live in California).  Experience tells me there is a difference in humidity so how much time should I allow for the guitar to settle and adjust to my environment before I start messing with the truss rod?  By the way, the Taylor site says that if it's just one string--and the 6th string is the major culprit right now--I should just replace the string since bad strings are a possibility.  Still, should I wait and for how long?

For now I'm assuming this is a set up issue and not a flaw with this guitar. I am, however, keeping the original packaging until I'm sure.

Cheers!

Bill
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:59:37 PM by crashcup »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 712ce 12 Fret-- Buzzing Sixth String
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
Did you buy the guitar new or used?  I have bought a few new Taylor's and they have always been perfect.  I would wait at least 2 weeks for the guitar to settle in,  but let those who you bought it from know about the difficulties you are experiencing.  Just in case there might be a return in their future.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
I bought it new and I did let the dealer know.  Thanks!

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »
I've a 12 fret 814 short scale, and I've found the neck to be "stiffer" than a reg 14 fret neck. Takes a little longer to settle in.

"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric