Author Topic: New 614 Spring Limited's - African Ebony or Macassar?  (Read 4869 times)

6stringmusic

New 614 Spring Limited's - African Ebony or Macassar?
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Now that we know that Taylor ran out of the AE for this model..what will be more rare?  The Limiteds with AE or the limiteds with Macassar?

Fire

Re: New 614 Spring Limited's - African Ebony or Macassar?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
200 African Ebony vs. 100 Macassar Ebony ... so I guess Macassar
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

6stringmusic

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

There was only 1, ONE African Ebony tree big enough to make this edition.  There is plenty of Macassar Ebony.

Otherwise, this would have been a Macassar limited model, no?  And besides, the Macassar does not have anywhere near the  figuring that the AE does.  Just look at some of the specimens!

Sure there may be less of these limited models being made with Macassar, but the TRUE Limited Edition is the AE model.  Just read the edition of Wood and Steel to see for yourself.  They hype up the rarity of this wood.

My 2 cents.

6stringmusic

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
 ::)

"Taylor’s ownership stake in an ebony mill in Cameroon has made the African wood a hot topic this past year. While most of the conversation has centered on sourcing and processing ebony for fretboards, bridges and other instrument parts, our mill co-owner, Madinter, recently managed to procure a sapwood-rich ebony tree that was big enough to be cut into back and side sets. The moment we saw them, we knew they would make a striking limited edition series. Visually, wide swaths of sapwood conjure a yin-yang effect of darkness and light, while fluid edge lines bend the bookmatched symmetry into captivating abstract art. Of the 300 sets that were available, each is beautifully unique. The tree came from Congo, a country that shares a border with Cameroon. While the country typically isn’t a viable source point for sustainable ebony, this particular tree was legally harvested from a managed forest and certified by the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and SGS, an international inspection, verification, testing and certification company. Compared to the Macassar ebony we’ve used in recent years for guitar backs and sides, this species — the same African ebony we use for fretboards and bridges — has a higher density, which translates into subtletonal differences.  “Tonally, it shares a little of Macassar’s low-end damping factor,” says Taylor master luthier Andy Powers. “Macassar has a pretty clear sound, while also being fairly overtoneheavy. This African ebony has a really rich, ringing character with a linear quality across the tonal spectrum — no particular frequencies are accentuated over others.”

PureTone

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »
It's possible that there will be more guitars made with Macassar Ebony, if BTO, PS and other LTD models are also included, than African Ebony.
The Ebony initially used for the 600 LTDs is supposedly the same type as the wood used for fretboards and bridges, but the tree was large enough to yield woodsets for back and sides.

I think someone tried to order a BTO guitar with Macassar Ebony recently and was told that for the time being it is not available, so even if there is 'plenty' of Macassar Ebony, it hasn't reached Taylor yet.

Glen

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »

There was only 1, ONE African Ebony tree big enough to make this edition.  There is plenty of Macassar Ebony.

Plenty of Macassar Ebony? I don't think that is correct. There will be more African Ebony guitars bet your last dollar. Regardless, both will be fine guitars and will share a unique history.

Fire

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »

Otherwise, this would have been a Macassar limited model, no?  And besides, the Macassar does not have anywhere near the  figuring that the AE does.  Just look at some of the specimens!

Sure there may be less of these limited models being made with Macassar, but the TRUE Limited Edition is the AE model.  Just read the edition of Wood and Steel to see for yourself.  They hype up the rarity of this wood.

My 2 cents.

From what I read, the African Ebony log just fell on Taylor's lap. Now that the African Ebony LTD was a success, you can bet there will be more large African Ebony trees to be "found".

It is inconceivable for Taylor to underprice their limited stash of Macassar and sell them less than Maple prices (614ce maple is priced more than 614ce Macassar).  My Taylor vendor told me they only did this to complete the 600-series  SLTD allocations.

Last time Macassar was used on a production run, it was on guitars priced in excess of $3000 (Presentation series and 2011 SLTD).

Either way, I think both versions are a great value for the money.

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Glen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »

My 2 cents.

From what I read, the African Ebony log just fell on Taylor's lap. Now that the African Ebony LTD was a success, you can bet there will be more large African Ebony trees to be "found".

It is inconceivable for Taylor to underprice their limited stash of Macassar and sell them less than Maple prices (614ce maple is priced more than 614ce Macassar).  My Taylor vendor told me they only did this to complete the 600-series  SLTD allocations.

Last time Macassar was used on a production run, it was on guitars priced in excess of $3000 (Presentation series and 2011 SLTD).

Either way, I think both versions are a great value for the money.

What he said  ;D

6stringmusic

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
Yes, that makes sense.  And you are correct, they are using it Macassar to complete the series.  I do have to agree that both are special and unique in their own right.  And the simple fact that you can get this limited for the same price as the standard 614 ( if you can find one) is insane. 

Great guitars all around.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
If the question is which 2013 Spring LTD will be more rare, African Ebony or the Macassar, than the answer is Macassar. However, there are less than 200 Taylors in existence with African Ebony back and sides right now which makes the African Ebony LTD's one of the rarest Taylors yet.