Author Topic: Hello All from England  (Read 2915 times)

DiabloRouge

Hello All from England
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
Hi
My name is Midge, I am 57 years old and class myself as a total beginner at guitar (if there is a level below that, put me there).
I have always wanted to learn to play but life kept getting in the way.  I actually bought myself a MIM Fender Stratocaster in 1999
which after a short period of enthusiasm got put back into its case and remained there, unloved, until about 9 months ago.  I have PTSD and following a prolonged bout of depression related to this I opened up the case and took the guitar out.  I really wanted to learn to play as a form of relaxation, for nobody else's pleasure but my own, as a kind of therapy I guess?  Well 9 months later I have made very little progress, I have problems with my concentration, also related to the depression and PTSD thing and this makes learning very difficult.  To learn a riff or lick is a big deal for me, but then when I go to learn another, the first one becomes almost forgotten, a bit like Homer Simpson really, my teacher must have the patience of a Saint.  I have lessons twice a month and practice on my own most days, unfortunately I don't know anyone else who I could sit and play with for fun.

What brings me to this forum?  Well after using my strat (I hesitate to call it playing) unplugged for weeks I believe that not hearing my efforts clearly is hampering me even further so I have just ordered a Left Handed GS Mini in mahogany so that I can hear myself better when I practice, Unfortunately it's going to take 6 weeks to take delivery of it as Taylor UK are seemingly out of stock?
I hope that by reading through all the posts here I can keep myself motivated and learn something at the same time.  I have no goal other than to play a few blues tunes, to keep the blues away.  I would like to start learning fingerstyle and have just bought a book by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo which I am hoping will get me started if it is not too intimidating?
Well thats me, sorry for the long winded intro, I look forward to hanging out here for a while.

Regards
Midge
England

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Hello All from England
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
Welcome Midge, glad you found us and decided to join.  As you know we are all looking forward to your NGD (new guitar day) when the Mini arrives and be hoping for pictures of your new friend..... :D  My family hails from around London and I still have a few cousins "across the pond" I would like to visit someday. 

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, I picked up my guitar in 2009 when my dad was dying and I would sit in the living room and strum just thinking about him and how much I couldn't help him (he had a brief but bad illness before he passed away).  Fast forward to January 2013 and my mom suddenly passes away without warning, I then picked up my ukulele and found that for me it was impossible to be sad while making music even if it's just strumming open chords.

You will find nothing but love and support here from our "family".  Josh (forum owner) and the forum members have helped me thru the bad times and celebrate with me during the good times.  You will find that we are an eager bunch and love to celebrate/console if you are willing to share.

As for playing I found an iPhone app called the "Amazing Slow Downer" that allows you to load a song and then slow down the tempo without changing pitch so you can play along at your pace.  Check it out, it's loads of fun.  Also, YouTube is a great resource for learning and jamming and there are tons of DVDs you can purchase and play along with.  I too have trouble remembering anything and for awhile found it very frustrating, then I decided to just have sheet music or chord sheets handy when I play and stop fretting (pun intended.... ;D) about it.

Ok, long winded hello, please try not to be too hard on yourself as far as memorizing things and just have fun with your Strat and Mini when it arrives.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
Hi Midge welcome to the forum. Nice to have another Brit here, we are seriously outnumbered  ;) (I'm up in Northumberland, but originally hail from Liverpool)

Sorry to hear about the PTSD; I hope the guitar playing helps ease the pain some.

As BigSkyTaylorPlayer says, this is a really friendly place and you'll get lots of help and advice. I only took up guitar a few years ago, like you I'm in my 50s and for me it was one of my better decisions; I've never made too much progress, but don't know what I'd do without it now.
The GS Mini is a great little guitar, I love mine, in fact just before reading your post I was in the garden (a rare warm sunny day up here) torturing the neighbours with my 'playing'  :D

Look forward to seeing some pics of the Mini and hearing your opinion of it.

Again welcome, I hope you enjoy your Mini and I look forward to reading more of your posts

Cheers

Eddie
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

DiabloRouge

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
Thanks guys
Although my poor concentration really frustrates me I still pick up the guitar each day to "practice"
and it helps me to relax, if that's not a contradiction?  My wife say's if I'm enjoying it, then that's all that counts.
I play unplugged as I am usually in the living room with my wife, I do plug in to an amp at home occasionally
but as I can't really play any tunes it's not something I want to bug the neighbours with.  I can't wait to get
the acoustic, the minimum 6 week wait is a pain, I could have gone with another guitar but had read so many great
things about the GS Mini that I have my heart set on that one.  The fact that I'm not that tall and have small hands
made my decision even easier.  I will then also be able to sit outside in our garden in the sunshine, which also makes us
feel better.  By the way Eddie my good lady is from up your way, her folks still live in Seaton Delaval near Whitley Bay.

Midge
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:25:37 PM by UTGF-Team »

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
Midge, I can appreciate the frustration of a 6 week wait, I only had to wait 3 weeks for mine but was chomping at the bit when it arrived. I see Guitar Guitar have 2 in stock, but depending where you are, that would probably mean buying online. The one advantage to the wait, is that you get a nice fresh one ;D, it was a nice feeling unpacking mine knowing that the last time someone touched it was in the Taylor factory.

I think your wife is spot on, as long as you enjoy it, that's what matters. I know I'll never be any good, (if I'd taken it up 40 years ago, I might have achieved mediocrity  :D ) but it gives me great pleasure trying.

I'm up in Alnwick, but sometimes drive through Seaton Delaval when I take the scenic route to my daughter's, in North Shields.

Eddie
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

DiabloRouge

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
The wait is going to seem far longer than the six weeks I have been advised it will take, all the time I spend on the Fender will hopefully mean I am at least a tiny bit better than I am right now.  I have never been very patient but it will make it that much better when I first get my hands on the package. I'm really looking forward to playing an acoustic, and who knows, perhaps it will "speak" to me and make the learning process a little easier for me?  Fingers crossed.

Midge

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Hi Midge

Glad to have you aboard - welcome from two more UK members. Like Eddie (Saxacat) we're in Northumberland too!

You're sure to find helpful and supportive people here on the forum - it's a very welcoming place with talented and friendly members.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you get on with your GS Mini!

Jimmy & Val
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:49 AM »
 Hi Midge. Welcome to the UTGF. This is a great site with some amazing members. A few of them have posted on this thread already.  :)

Make yourself at home and have some fun.  ;D

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
Welcome aboard DiabloRouge,  pleased to have you here with us.  A six week wait is a long wait but once it arrives you will not regret it.  I have a GS Mini Sitka top and enjoy it very much. 
So, during the long wait I think I would plan on setting a goal to accomplish a learning hurdle.  Maybe master a set of chords or learn Major Pentatonic scales in a couple of keys.  What ever you decide remember to have fun at it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

DiabloRouge

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
Good advice MGAP.
I'm a huge Blues fan so I'm just starting to learn the Blues Scale in E.  After a few days I've even managed to memorise the opening riff to Bob Marley's Redemption Song, not difficult maybe, but I'm pleased. ;)
I'll also be working on chord progressions which I'm currently terrible at.

Midge

DiabloRouge

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
Good news, thanks to Eddie (Saxacat) who told me of a dealer with Lefty GS Mini's in stock I was able to cancel my initial order and order from them.  No more 6 week wait, it will be delivered tomorrow :) 
I'm working until 6pm but it will be waiting for me when I get home.  Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks SaxaCat

Midge

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
it will be delivered tomorrow :) 

Midge

Great news! Congrats!
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
Great news indeed!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
 I'm glad things worked out (way to go Eddie) and you're getting the Mini so quickly. Wow, your new membership has already paid for itself.  ;)

Enjoy your new guitar !!!
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

theguitarguru