Author Topic: A few questions on my T5  (Read 4526 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: A few questions on my T5
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
... I will be playing more acoustic than electric on it but want the freedom to play some lead like on intro's and bridges on songs. My guess would be a light gauge elixir acoustic or heavy gauge electric? again, all help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

So it sounds like you will be biased more toward the acoustic side with the occasional foray into lead lines and maybe intros/outros?  Perhaps, then, that wound G is to your advantage.  That said, I'd stick with a plain G and perhaps try 11-49s, personally.  Perhaps because I personally think the the T5 cops some pretty decent acoustic tone when properly EQ'd going into a board (or acoustic system), but really its electric sound is considerably better than it's acoustic tone, IMHO, and thus functions more as a versatile electric that can do some good acoustic tone rather than trying to make it "more acoustic" with acoustic strings/wound G and then compromising its electric strengths.

FWIW, I've never owned one (and will obviously defer to these guys here who have done the heavy lifting with their T5s), but a very cool guy at an indy shop (on a slow Saturday afternoon) let me hang out and goof around with a T5 for quite a time.  Through a good tube amp, the T5 sang nicely, with shades of stratty tone oozing warmth and chime (and I do own a lovely strat, so I dug it).  Then went acoustic through a PA rig and it sounded pretty dang good.  But it was very clear to both of us that the T5 is biased toward the electric guitar world that can cop decent acoustic tone much more than it is an acoustic guitar that happens to have a humbucker.  And I'm just a weekend warrior.  In the hands of a pro (say, Marc Seal of Taylor who I had the good fortune to see play at a Road Show), his acoustic tone was better than mine (natch!), and again, this with electric strings (heck, he was even using the factory 10s).  But with said electric strings/gauge, was far more capable of pulling off electric-style riffs and chops than one could with an acoustic set of strings, or even an electric set in 12s with a wound G.  Not that Marc needs my piddly validation, but I totally concurred that the T5 rocks better and is more in its element with electric strings.

The final solution is, of course, in what suits you and your purposes best.  I'm simply suggesting that you don't discount the benefit of sticking to an electric set of strings/gauge, and simply finding the right solution for you to achieve the acoustic tone you're looking for.

Edward

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:49:26 PM by Edward »

R1balla

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
nice post. i put on 11s to try. here is a pic of my new toy

once the 11s are getting worn, I will try 12s. if i like the 12s better, i will order the saddle.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
Nice, I love my T5 but haven't played it much lately.  I'll have to try the 12s.

what strings do you use? what set up do you have? PA? amp?...etc  just trying to gather more opinions on this.

I have Elixir .13s on there and don't like them.  I have a Genz Benz acoustic amp that I really haven't had a chance to play with yet but in the shop the guy demo'd it for me and it sounded really nice with the T5.

R1balla

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
Speaking of amps, have any of you played through one of the Orange amps with the T5?
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

dcopper

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
The Orange Amps like the Marshalls have extremely strong midrange qualities. I personally prefer something with a little less midrange coloring. I like the Mesa amps/ even the Peavey Classic amps. They have a little less of that midrange tone. I have plugged a T5 into just about everything out there and the Marshall and Orange amps did not work well for my ears with a T5. Now put another guitar into either one and they are blissful.
Just MHO.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

R1balla

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
update for you all that are interested. I have Elixir 12s right now. acoustic sound is GREAT but really hard to bend on leads. I am running ABY with a 15 watt tubed Vox amp. that amp is beast. im loving it.

have any of you put 11s on everything except the 3rd then got a wound 3rd and put it on?
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR