Author Topic: Anyone here play the harmonica?  (Read 1596 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Anyone here play the harmonica?
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:09 AM »
So, I was thinking about getting a harmonica but have little knowledge of them.

After a bit of reading I see they come in different keys and some have wood reeds while others have plastic.  Some are tuned evenly for playing melodies while others let you bend notes for chords.....and on and on......

I thought Taylors numbering system was complicated until I began learning about harmonicas.

So, I watched a few YouTube videos, I know I'll never be as good as John Popper but does anyone have a recommendation for one to have some fun with?  I can feel a case of HAS coming on.......lol

I was looking at the Hohners....Special 20 and Golden Melody seem good first (notice I said "first".... ;D) harmonicas....

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
Re: Anyone here play the harmonica?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:41:41 AM »
We 'started' with Hohner Marine Band Special 20 - Jimmy uses it on one song only (so far)... never played harmonica before.

After reading online reviews and scouting around forums etc, we decided that the Special 20 was good for our basic needs, and not too expensive if it didn't work out.

Here's a link to a YouTube video featuring the Special 20 at the start and end of the song - 'Meet Me On The Corner' - a 1970s hit for North East UK band Lindisfarne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr3l4jwEtcE

Jimmy plays Hohner Marine Band Special 20 'A' harmonica and Val's Taylor Custom Jumbo 12-string, Val plays Kala U-Bass ukulele.
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
Love the video and song!!!  Thanks!

The harmonica sounds great, is it hard to learn it's basic operation?

jivauk

• singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
Thanks!

Not having a natural ability to play melody lines on any instrument I had to hum the notes I wanted, work out where they were on the guitar fretboard, work out what those actual notes were, then refer to charts to find how to play each note on the harmonica - it was s-l-o-w going, but it worked.

Probably someone with more musicality and instrumental ability would be able to just mess around with it for a while to see how it works.

Anyway - here's a link to the charts I used for working out where to blow and where to draw (suck) the harmonica to get the notes I needed.

https://coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/tune_charts.shtml

It's worth persevering - I intend trying some blues in the near future - wish me luck!

Jimmy
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
Oh, blues -  ??? you're going to need another harmonica...... ::)

LOL, I'm not sure what's caused this latest instrument acquisition affliction but it looks like the harmonica could be loads of fun!!

Thanks for the info!  ;D

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

I was looking at the Hohners....Special 20 and Golden Melody seem good first (notice I said "first".... ;D) harmonicas....

I just bought a Hohner Special 20 in G to start on.  Then I discovered most of the "how to play harmonica" books are based on a C harmonica so I bought a Hohner Big River in C.  Haven't made much progress yet but I'm going to take a break from guitar due to tendinitis so I will devote my guitar playing time to harmonica for a month or so and see what happens.  If I get to the point where I can accompany myself on Heart of Gold and a Dylan song or two, I'll be a happy camper.  :D
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

jivauk

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »
Yup. We have 3 Hohner Marine Band Special 20s.

• C - for book/online lessons
  • A - for 'Meet Me On The Corner' (played in A) and for blues played in E when we get down to practicing/experimenting
  • G - for blues played in D - another future project
Fun times ahead!
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
I attend a Blues music festival every year and find it interesting that the harps players generally have at least 5-7 with  them on stage.  I would imagine they need one for each key? 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.