Author Topic: First ever GC visit  (Read 729 times)

Tugboat

First ever GC visit
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »
I'm back home in Kentucky for my sister's wedding and while I was out running errands I figured i'd stop by a local guitar store and window shop. As it turned out the owner of my favorite store back home retired and closed the store. There's since been a Guitar Center open up at home since I moved away. Living on the Georgia Coast there's no Guitar Centers anywhere close, and the local stores tend to have much more limited selections than what I was used to. Interesting store with a huge selection, though I prefer independent stores. I played some sorta GC exclusive Martin 000 with a sitka top and rosewood back and sides, a Gibson J-45 true vintage, a D-28, and a Taylor 514ce.

The 000 and the J-45 sounded fantastic. The neck was a bit too narrow on the 000 though. The J-45 was nice and full sounding without a boomy bass, very bluesy sounding. The D-28 wasn't my bag. The J-45 and 000 ran laps around it when playing blues. Didn't get a chance to really strum or flatpick any of them though and that's really the D-28's strength. I just strummed them with my fingers. From what I did hear though I wasn't a fan.

I'm glad I got my GA4 instead of a used 514 too. I didn't care for the Cedar top on the 514. My GA4 sounds better.
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone