Author Topic: Taylor 2013 Spring Limiteds  (Read 25751 times)

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Re: Taylor 2013 Spring Limiteds
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
After all the "tease" posts here, there are no 12-frets in the Spring LTD lineup ... that might be a good thing for my wallet though ...  8)
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Glen

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
For those of you who have interest in a 6XX 2013 LTD you might want to pre-order.  Talk to your favorite dealer and you will find that they are being offered in very limited release.  I did a sample BTO of the 6XX 2013 LTD's and they listed well over the price being advertised.  This wood combination is one of the most alluring I have seen from Taylor in this price range in quite some time.

I think if you call anyone of the sponsors in this forum they will confirm how limited the 6's are...

edited for price
the administrator is covering all operating expenses for the forum - there are no sponsors here
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:52:20 AM by UTGF-Team »

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
I did a sample BTO of the 6XX 2013 LTD's and they listed well over the price being advertised.  This wood combination is one of the most alluring I have seen from Taylor in this price range in quite some time.

Is African Ebony even on the BTO sheet?

PureTone

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
It doesn't look like it.

Macassar Ebony seems to come from Sulawesi, which is in Indonesia.
http://www.alliedlutherie.com/macassarharvest.htm
http://www.macassarebony.com/macassar_ebony_sourcing/index.html

Indonesia is considered to be in Asia, whereas Cameroon, Congo, Gabon and Madasgascar are in Africa, so technically Macassar Ebony is Asian Ebony.

The 600 LTDs seems to be a wise use for Ebony that has such a high sapwood content, as a predominately cream colored fretboard would probably be less than desirable on an acoustic.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
It doesn't look like it.

Indonesia is considered to be in Asia, whereas Cameroon, Congo, Gabon and Madasgascar are in Africa, so technically Macassar Ebony is Asian Ebony.

The 600 LTDs seems to be a wise use for Ebony that has such a high sapwood content, as a predominately cream colored fretboard would probably be less than desirable on an acoustic.

I'm just wondering how someone could build a "sample" BTO when the wood isn't even on the list.

Glen

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
For those of you who have interest in a 6XX 2013 LTD you might want to pre-order.  Talk to your favorite dealer and you will find that they are being offered in very limited release.  I did a sample BTO of the 6XX 2013 LTD's and they listed well over the price being advertised.  This wood combination is one of the most alluring I have seen from Taylor in this price range in quite some time.

I think if you call anyone of the sponsors in this forum they will confirm how limited the 6's are...

edited for price
the administrator is covering all operating expenses for the forum - there are no sponsors here

So you can't even mention LIST prices? Really?

Glen

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
It doesn't look like it.

I'm just wondering how someone could build a "sample" BTO when the wood isn't even on the list.

No they don't have African Ebony.  However, I "guestimated" less than Macassar for BTO build. I used a little common sense. Point is, the 6 series are quite limited and appear to be a great value.  Does "great value" constitute a violation of pricing policy. I apologize in advance.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "sample" BTO but we've built a number of BTO's using off list wood sets. To gain access to these very limited sets a dealer needs to show up at the factory with a couple of pies. Apparently Bob Taylor has a sweet tooth and likes to sample pies from different bakeries. Please don't tell anybody about this.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
To gain access to these very limited sets a dealer needs to show up at the factory with a couple of pies. Apparently Bob Taylor has a sweet tooth and likes to sample pies from different bakeries. Please don't tell anybody about this.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:38:06 PM by cigarfan »
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
ltd usually have more "value" bc to get similar options in a BTO would be more money.

they are all rare, hence the limited name....I guess if you're relatively new to Taylor this would come as a shock.

in terms of not being able to share price, his house, his rules. who cares. if you want to know pricing you can just message vendors here.

to be honest, you can see pricing anywhere bc most authorized dealers are going to bar similar pricing.

1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "sample" BTO but we've built a number of BTO's using off list wood sets. To gain access to these very limited sets a dealer needs to show up at the factory with a couple of pies. Apparently Bob Taylor has a sweet tooth and likes to sample pies from different bakeries. Please don't tell anybody about this.

:)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
No they don't have African Ebony.  However, I "guestimated" less than Macassar for BTO build. I used a little common sense. Point is, the 6 series are quite limited and appear to be a great value.  Does "great value" constitute a violation of pricing policy. I apologize in advance.

I learned a long time ago that guesstimating was dangerous (mainly to my wallet!). Similar woods often carry very different price tags. The cost of Maccassar Ebony could be very different than what's being used on the Limiteds.

Glen

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
ltd usually have more "value" bc to get similar options in a BTO would be more money.

they are all rare, hence the limited name....I guess if you're relatively new to Taylor this would come as a shock.

in terms of not being able to share price, his house, his rules. who cares. if you want to know pricing you can just message vendors here.

to be honest, you can see pricing anywhere bc most authorized dealers are going to bar similar pricing.

Yes, I am pretty new to Taylor. I think I have only owned 20 different Taylors over the last 20 years. I have been playing for 40 years. I currently have a 2012 KOA LTD and 2012 Coco LTD. Neither of those are RARE because both could be purchased BTO. NOT ALL Taylor LTD's are rare. Go look at dealer inventories and you will find many past LTD's over the last couple years sitting in inventory or being sold on Ebay as used ;-).  Some have wood combinations that are NOT BTO available (like the 6XX 2013's).

I had two prominent dealers tell me the qty of 6XX's they were getting.  My point was two fold. They appear to be a great value and they appear to truly be limited which has not been the case in recent years for many limiteds.   I do understand not discussing unpublished pricing. However, mentioning a published "LIST" (not map) price seems harmless but rules are rules.

Fire

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Talk to your favorite dealer and you will find that they are being offered in very limited release.  .....

Limited for now but I guess not for long. These 2013 LTDs must be from the same multi-colored ebony trees which Bob says 19 are chopped down before a  20th tree (on the average) will yield black ebony suitable for fretboards and bridges.  There must be tons of such lumber on the Cameroon jungle floor. Taylor found a use for them.

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Glen

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »

From the description on Taylor's website, the ebony for the back and sides of the 600 LTDs is from the same source as wood used for fretboards and bridges, which would be Cameroon.

Without use of a scientific name, certain things can become very vague, like the term 'Pac-Rim'.

Granadillo
http://www.worldtimbercorp.com/Granadillo.htm

Briown Ebony AKA Granadillo
http://www.wood-database.com/?s=Granadillo

Granadillo mentioned as Dalbergia Retusa
http://www.woodsourcing.com/species_sheet.php?species=Granadillo

The Yucatan Peninsula is in South East Mexico, separating the Carribean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico.
I suppose one coast could be considered North America and the other Central America.

Just as an FYI, I learned that this is not the same ebony from Cameroon used for fretboards and bridges. It was a log acquired from a private "tree farm" in Congo.

In response to post above this...