Author Topic: Taylor 2013 Spring Limiteds  (Read 25750 times)

PureTone

Re: Taylor 2013 Spring Limiteds
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
From the description on Taylor's website, the ebony for the back and sides of the 600 LTDs is from the same source as wood used for fretboards and bridges, which would be Cameroon.

Without use of a scientific name, certain things can become very vague, like the term 'Pac-Rim'.

Granadillo
http://www.worldtimbercorp.com/Granadillo.htm

Briown Ebony AKA Granadillo
http://www.wood-database.com/?s=Granadillo

Granadillo mentioned as Dalbergia Retusa
http://www.woodsourcing.com/species_sheet.php?species=Granadillo

The Yucatan Peninsula is in South East Mexico, separating the Carribean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico.
I suppose one coast could be considered North America and the other Central America.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:33:52 AM by UTGF-Team »

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
I was hoping for a Ceder Top/All solid wood Taylor GS Mini. Hopefully some day.

What would you be willing to pay for such a guitar?

That's one of the primary things that pushes the LTD's; how much would people be willing to spend. Second would be how many people would be able to spend it?

Once you get into the realm of an all-solid guitar, you're looking at a price tag in the same range as a 300 Series, and I just don't think too many people would be willing to drop that kind of coin on what's often billed as a "travel guitar", especially since the laminated version sells for less than half of what a 300 Series does.

And, apparently, I think Taylor thinks the same. It would be a poor business decision.

GSMAN

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »
I would have no problem paying somewhere in the 300/400 range. If it got to the 500 and 700 price range than I would probably pass but it would still be cool to see them made. I remember that Bob said he was considering doing a Ceder top in Wood & Steel. Although the marketing has been great for the GS Mini I don't think it is really a "travel" guitar. It is a modern day parlor guitar and IMO sounds good as many twice the price.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
I would have no problem paying somewhere in the 300/400 range. If it got to the 500 and 700 price range than I would probably pass but it would still be cool to see them made. I remember that Bob said he was considering doing a Ceder top in Wood & Steel. Although the marketing has been great for the GS Mini I don't think it is really a "travel" guitar. It is a modern day parlor guitar and IMO sounds good as many twice the price.

Given that the GS Mini has been sold for a couple years now, at the price it has been, how many other people do you think would be willing to pay more than twice as much for an all solid version?

I don't believe it would be anywhere near a big enough number for Taylor to ever consider doing it.

Had the GS Mini been introduced as an American made, all solid wood instrument, it could fetch a 300 Series price. But, since it's been available at such a comparably low price, it wouldn't.

As Brian Swerdfeger used to say: "We would sell tens of them".

GSMAN

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
I have 1 year with playing taylor and 10 years playing martin. I'm not fimilar enough with taylor to know numbers but I don't think taylor would have any problems. I see people asking all the time for ceder and or a solid body gs mini. One thing I do know is that the gs mini is very popular and getting a lot of praise. Other brands have been selling parlor guitars way over twice the price. I would buy one. That's that. Have a nice day.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:07:43 PM by GSMAN »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
I would forego the cedar top and solid woods on the Mini if I could just get a 1-3/4 inch nut width.  That would cure a lot of ills without raising the price of the guitar.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
I would forego the cedar top and solid woods on the Mini if I could just get a 1-3/4 inch nut width.  That would cure a lot of ills without raising the price of the guitar.

You shouldn't have to forego anything Dennis, you just need a 300 series or above Mini instead of the 100 series you are currently plying. And for those who don't thinks folks would pay the same for an 800 series Mini as they are paying for an 814 they are mistaken. Last I checked I don't sell guitars by the foot.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

You shouldn't have to forego anything Dennis, you just need a 300 series or above Mini instead of the 100 series you are currently plying. And for those who don't thinks folks would pay the same for an 800 series Mini as they are paying for an 814 they are mistaken. Last I checked I don't sell guitars by the foot.

I see what you're saying, Ted, but the fact of the matter is that the Taylor-buying public has been conditioned to know that a GS Mini is a particular price. An 800 Series Mini would be stratospheric in comparison, and I believe far more people would scoff at that than would be willing to pony up for it. It would sell for more than four times the price of a GS Mini, and I just don't think enough people would do it. If Taylor thought enough people would do it, we'd be looking at 800 Series Minis already, yet there's no indication such a guitar is even coming down the pike anytime soon.

Someone on the internet saying they would buy one is a nice sentiment, but it shouldn't drive the business decision. Even 100 people saying it shouldn't drive a business decision.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
i am relieved there isnt a sinker/walnut ltd GA, b/c i would have had to sell my 914ce to buy it!

phew! :)
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

mauisunset

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
i am relieved there isnt a sinker/walnut ltd GA, b/c i would have had to sell my 914ce to buy it!
You and me both!
1. 1997 414ce (Sitka/African Mahogany, pinless bridge, satin finish)
2. 2007 Baby (BT1)
3. 2002 Fender CIJ Telecaster w/ Bigsby & Mastery Bridge
4. 2012 Builder's Reserve VII (12 fret Hog)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
You and me both!

cheers to you in hopes that taylor sees our posts and actually makes this ltd!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »

I see what you're saying, Ted, but the fact of the matter is that the Taylor-buying public has been conditioned to know that a GS Mini is a particular price. An 800 Series Mini would be stratospheric in comparison, and I believe far more people would scoff at that than would be willing to pony up for it. It would sell for more than four times the price of a GS Mini, and I just don't think enough people would do it. If Taylor thought enough people would do it, we'd be looking at 800 Series Minis already, yet there's no indication such a guitar is even coming down the pike anytime soon.

Someone on the internet saying they would buy one is a nice sentiment, but it shouldn't drive the business decision. Even 100 people saying it shouldn't drive a business decision.

So are you saying that if the 114 came first there would be no market for the 814? As for why Taylor hasn't offered a high end Mini yet, only they have the answer but just because they haven't, doesn't mean it wouldn't sell. Yes, there are Taylor dealers who wouldn't know how to sell a higher end Mini just as there are dealers who don't know how to sell BTO's but there is a market for it, trust me.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
So are you saying that if the 114 came first there would be no market for the 814? As for why Taylor hasn't offered a high end Mini yet, only they have the answer but just because they haven't, doesn't mean it wouldn't sell. Yes, there are Taylor dealers who wouldn't know how to sell a higher end Mini just as there are dealers who don't know how to sell BTO's but there is a market for it, trust me.

I didn't say anything about 114's.

What I'm saying is that, if there was a market for an 800 Series GS Mini, Taylor would make an 800 Series GS Mini. The fact that you know how to sell one is irrelevant. You can't sell a guitar to a market that does not exist. Again, if that market was there, Taylor would've already identified it and exploited it.

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

From the description on Taylor's website, the ebony for the back and sides of the 600 LTDs is from the same source as wood used for fretboards and bridges, which would be Cameroon.

Without use of a scientific name, certain things can become very vague, like the term 'Pac-Rim'.

Granadillo
http://www.worldtimbercorp.com/Granadillo.htm

Briown Ebony AKA Granadillo
http://www.wood-database.com/?s=Granadillo

Granadillo mentioned as Dalbergia Retusa
http://www.woodsourcing.com/species_sheet.php?species=Granadillo

The Yucatan Peninsula is in South East Mexico, separating the Carribean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico.
I suppose one coast could be considered North America and the other Central America.

Just as an FYI, I learned that this is not the same ebony from Cameroon used for fretboards and bridges. It was a log acquired from a private "tree farm" in Congo.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

cedarkoa599

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »

phew! :)
I too would have been in trouble if they had a walnut guitar!  I am safe! I would or know how to have explained that one when I just built a BTO less than a year ago!