Poll

what do you think is the loudest amongst spruce tops?

sitka
5 (26.3%)
adirondack
14 (73.7%)
englemann
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: loudest spruce top?  (Read 2229 times)

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
loudest spruce top?
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:40 AM »
Seeing taylor's options for a BTO, what's the loudest amongst them? what is the best b/s wood combo for it (and why)?  I've only tried spruce (and mahogany) since variants of taylors are limited here where i live. i am curious about englemann and adirondack
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

M19

• Veteran Member
Re: loudest spruce top?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »
Sitka-Rosewood on a Lowden O!
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
I can't imagine buying a guitar simply for how loud it is, without regard to the character of its tone.   Also, a guitar which is very loud up close may not project as well as some other guitar that carries the sound farther back.  For instance, large bodied Maple/Sitka (or Adirondack) guitars project really well and cut through the noise... but I don't like the bright tone and the strong fundamental sound with minimal overtones.  But that is just me, my style, and my ears.

I think the first step in choosing your Taylor BTO is to chose a body shape.  That will have the single biggest impact on the overall sound.  A Grand Symphony (GS), Dreadnought (DN), or the new Grand Orchestra (GO) will be louder than a Grand Auditorium (GA) or Grand Concert (GC) because the larger guitars have more surface area to their tops and more space inside the body, so they can move more air when the strings vibrate.  The various Taylor body styles all have different tone characters, as well, and will shape the overall sound of the guitar with whatever woods you choose.

Adirondack is generally considered to have the highest amount of maximum volume, but Sitka is close enough that the variance between pieces of wood can make up that difference sometimes.  According to Bob Taylor it is more important to upgrade to Adirondack CV bracing, because of it's spring-like properties, than whether you choose Sitka or Adirondack for the top.  I suppose Adi for the top and braces would be the ultimate in loudness for any given body style or back/sides wood choice.  I wouldn't think of Englemann as the loudest spruce, but it is the one I prefer for the sweeter and warmer tone it gives.  But then I don't play with a flat pick.  I play fingerstyle and when I do strum, I use the back of my fingernails.  Personally, I prefer Cedar tops in general for my technique.  It does not have anywhere near the headroom of the woods you are considering, but it will respond the best and be the loudest with a soft touch than the woods in your poll.  It will be the quietest in terms of maximum volume at its limit when played hard.

Certainly EIR back & sides would give you a classic tone that everyone is familiar with and emphasizes lows and highs while adding lots of overtones.  Mahogany is a familiar sound too and will emphasize the mids with a drier and woodier tone.  I described Maple with Spruce in the beginning of this post and that certainly rounds out the most common guitar woods for back/sides.  I'll suggest Walnut (my personal favorite) to get the strong lows of EIR with fewer overtones, the present mids and woody tone of Mahogany, and some of the projection of Maple along with its bright zing in the trebles but with more overtones than Maple.

Ultimately you'll have to decide what your needs, priorities, and preferences are based on where and how you play and your own ears.  There are few things more fun than designing your Taylor BTO!  Good luck and keep us posted on your ultimate choices.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:42:50 AM by GSMC Bob »

sacdubro

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
Adirondack/Red Spruce will generally offer the most "Head Room" when you're strumming or picking hard.  Many Blue-Grass players choose Red Spruce for their tops because its ability to project and cut through the mix of other instruments.

fretted

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »
It's been my experience that as a finger style player, Engelmann Spruce gives more volume for lower energy bare fingers and thumb pick picking while Adirondack (Red) attains impressive heights of volume when you're really wailing with a flat pick. I have a Venezuelan Cuatro built with a German Spruce top  (I believe that may be the same species as Adirondack) which although smaller is louder - with nylon strings - than any guitar I own . . . if I really dig in.
1993(?) 410 Special Edition (Rosewood/cut-away)
1995 412
1997 810
1998 Mahogany Baby
2000 714
2010 DN3
2013 Mini Mahogany
2014 522 12 fret
About two dozen other brands of guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, banjos and Venezuelan Cuatros, not to mention the flutes, pennywhistles and the piano.

Tugboat

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Mother Nature doesn't run a quality department making sure that each sample of whatever spruce species matches our preconceived notions about it. Even within the same tree the wood properties will vary widely. There's no guarantee that one species of spruce will always be louder than another. The only way to be sure is to play it and see for yourself. Too many other factors come into play (bracing, top thickness, top and bracing stiffness, body size and style, scale length, etc...).
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
I can only say for the guitars I have but Red Spruce (Adi) on a dreadnaught shape is the loudest when I digging in. The Sitka (with Adi bracing) on the GO is the loudest with a softer fingerpicking attack.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

kohara

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
I think the bracing may make quite a bit of difference as well... I noticed Taylor is doing Sitka tops with adirondack bracing... Guild has done that as well. To me adirondack is hard to beat but takes a little longer to "break in" than Sitka... or maybe that's all in my head. I have an HD-28 with adirondack and I think it's the best sounding guitar I've ever heard. Loud and sweet, if that's possible.
1999 Gibson J-45 Rosewood, 2010 Martin HD-28

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
I think the bracing may make quite a bit of difference as well... I noticed Taylor is doing Sitka tops with adirondack bracing... Guild has done that as well. To me adirondack is hard to beat but takes a little longer to "break in" than Sitka... or maybe that's all in my head. I have an HD-28 with adirondack and I think it's the best sounding guitar I've ever heard. Loud and sweet, if that's possible.

I have a Gibson J-45TV with a red spruce top, mahogany b/s and that is exactly how I describe it ... loud and sweet! I think adirondack will beat any other spruce for "loud" on the same size guitar.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber