Author Topic: Hawaiian Slack Key Festival  (Read 2458 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Hawaiian Slack Key Festival
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
Last night I attended a Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival and it was fantastic!!  The venue was a small dinner theatre type setting that seats about 500 - it was about half full which I suppose is good for a Wed night when it was 40 degrees outside - sure wish they had brought some of those Hawaii temperatures.....

The Festival featured Dennis Kamakahi, Bobby Moderow, Jr., Stephen Inglis, LT Smooth, and Paul Togioka.  They mentioned the festival was supported by Taylor Guitars and they raffled off a GS Mini at the end of the night.  Most of the participants used Taylor Guitars and Paul Togioka started the festival playing a gorgeous 600 series Taylor - most likely a 616.  It was a beautiful guitar and sounded wonderful.  Stephen Inglis looked like he was playing a 500 series - hog with cedar top, and Dennis Kamakahi played a Taylor but I couldn't tell what it was, it looked older and was covered in stickers.

I was not familiar with the Slack Key style of playing and discovered it is a method of playing fingerstyle in open tunings that originated in Hawaii.  One of the participants told the story of how Hawaii had some Mexican cowboys come over to help wrangle the cows that were in HI and when they left they left the "gee-tars" behind.  The Hawaiians picked them up and strummed them slacking the tuning keys until they got to a chord sound, hence the term "slack-key."

The show lasted about 3 hours with a short intermission and each artist played a solo set then the finale at the end featured all of the artists on stage together.  Many stories were told and in addition to traditional Hawaiian tunes they played some Christopher Cross and even a Bob Dylan song....slack-key style.

It was a very nice evening and a bonus was that I got to meet up with a fellow forum member - imorroy.  Ingrid can add some more details and she took a few pics so maybe she'll upload some.... ;)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hawaiian Slack Key Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Sounds like it was a great time with wonderful musicians. It's always cool to be introduced to new forms of playing.  Good to hear that it was supported by Taylor and that they used Taylor guitars.

I'm guessing YOU didn't win the GS Mini?  :'(
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
Wasn't that at the Birchmere? I remember seeing that advertised.

We had a dress rehearsal for our Passion Play last night. I would have missed it anyhow.  :-\

Glad you had a good time!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
TaylorGirl - sadly, neither Ingrid or myself won the Mini - we did sit at the table next to the woman who won it so we got that goin' for us..... ;D

Cigarfan - yes, The Birchmere - great venue for shows - I'll be seein' you in a few weeks at Melodee.....  There were no ukuleles last night....

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
I enjoy Hawaiian Slack Key.  I even took acouple of lesson from Mark Nelson.  Here he is doing Little Grass Shack-Hula Blues (slack key guitar & steel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rfxdFiodg&list=UUnqndVluMFztcEr5_FUMWug&index=20

Here are two of my favorite styles Celtic and `Ukulele.  Well... it is at least one of the most unusual combinations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tZeJOfsEE&list=UUnqndVluMFztcEr5_FUMWug
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:56:15 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
TaylorGirl - sadly, neither Ingrid or myself won the Mini - we did sit at the table next to the woman who won it so we got that goin' for us..... ;D

Cigarfan - yes, The Birchmere - great venue for shows - I'll be seein' you in a few weeks at Melodee.....  There were no ukuleles last night....

I just rcvd the Taylor info on their roadshow on 3 Apr, the Wed before Acoustifest. This is the closest it has ever been to me. It is on a Wed evening so it kinda limits how long I can stay. Here's the info if you are interested:

Wednesday, April 3, 7 p.m.
Hot Licks Guitar Shop
3250 Old Washington Road
Waldorf, MD 20602
(301) 843-2799
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
I just rcvd the Taylor info on their roadshow on 3 Apr, the Wed before Acoustifest. This is the closest it has ever been to me. It is on a Wed evening so it kinda limits how long I can stay. Here's the info if you are interested:

Wednesday, April 3, 7 p.m.
Hot Licks Guitar Shop
3250 Old Washington Road
Waldorf, MD 20602
(301) 843-2799

I saw that and was thinking about going.  Waldorf's not far but on a rush hour Wed it could take awhile to get there.

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »
Here is a picture of all the artists on stage. Although LT Smooth didn't play a Taylor, I found him the most interesting, since his nylon string guitar is so small yet loud. He told us that he (or was it his wife?) is related to the famous Iz (Israel Kamakawiwoʻole). The best sounding guitar was Paul Togioka's. His music was the most authentic Hawaiian, I thought, while the others blended popular "stateside" music in their slack key style.  All in all, an impressive first slack key guitar festival in Alexandria, VA.

Oh, and of course it was great to meet a fellow Taylor forum member!

Ingrid
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke