Author Topic: Picking near the 12th  (Read 1670 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Picking near the 12th
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
So, I've been muddling around trying to learn Pachelbel's Canon in D, fingerstyle.
Most versions that you hear or that are on the radio have harp, especially in the intro. 
I was trying to find a way to get that sound out of a guitar, and I did!

Not sure how I discovered it, but if you pluck the open strings at the 12th fret, basically where you would touch for a harmonic, you get a harp-like sound.  I figured this would work for chords, if I can find the halfway point.

When playing the Canon, the first chord in the song (the version I'm playing) is an arpeggiated D, so in that case I pluck the D string at the 12th, the G at the 14th, the B at the 15th and the E at the 14th. 
Same thing for the next chord, the A, plucking the A string at the 12th and the D, G and B at the 14th (since they are stopped at the 2nd).

I'm sure this is old news to the experienced guitarists, but I was really tickled to discover this. 
:)
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: Picking near the 12th
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »
Yup. I am not ambitous enough to go after Pachelbel, but Neil Young has some cool riffs down there. Check out the opening/repeated riff and arpegio in Harvest Moon, for example.

Just had a listen to that, pretty great!
Thanks, -K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Picking near the 12th
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
Cool, Kris ...I gotta try that! 

I play Canon's opening D at the 7th fret, go up for the next two chords, and repeat the Canon at the open D.  Mine is the "hack's" version ;) ...by what you describe, yours sounds better.  Will give it a go, thanks for the tip!

Edward