Author Topic: Evolving musical tastes...  (Read 1944 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Evolving musical tastes...
« on: March 13, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
Isn't music a wonderful thing?  I grew up in the 70s and early 80s (amazing to think that I'm just now hitting 29.. ::)) and I can remember that the only thing the radio played was Led Zeppelin, if by chance they weren't never fear they would throw on Beatle's Sgt. Pepper.......ugh!

I have never been a fan of either and would just change the channel or outright turn it off.  The other choice was disco but I won't go there..... :D .....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Fast-forward to now........seems all I want to play are Beatles tunes - Yesterday, Let it Be, Something, Long and Winding Road, and many others.  What happened??!!!  I don't like this kind of music.....but it sure sounds good on my new uke!!  I also played Hey Jude and Yesterday on my guitar and just love them both.  Last night there was a special on Palladia - an hour long concert by Paul McCartney.  I sat and watched the whole thing, I just kept thinking, but I don't like the Beatles.....I loved it.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one of Paul's guitarists played a very nice Taylor 12 string during Band on the Run.  I think it was an 800 series.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:37:07 PM by TaylorPlayer516 »

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: Evolving musical tastes...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »
Ah, that evening in February 1964, when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan was a defining time in my life.  I knew I HAD to play guitar.  These days, I play way more Beatles music than I ever did back in the 60s and 70s.  It's true that some things get better with age.   ;)

Don't try to analyze it, just enjoy the music... even if you don't like the Beatles.  8)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
Ha! I've always been a Beatles fan, and now play their songs "salsafied" or "calypsofied" with my band. The one artist I did not like when I was growing up was Elvis Presley. I now play many of his songs in different styles, and rhythms with two and three part harmony, and I think he would approve. I have also come to appreciate Pink, after years of not really paying attention to her music.

There's so much you can do with existing music, by adding a new twist. Eva Cassidy was good at making covers sound like new.
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
maybe songs from the beatles are more relatable now since you are enjoying playing the uke and guitar. when i was younger, i never bothered listening to blues music. when i started learning how to play some guitar solo using the blues scales, everything changed. i now appreciate blues since i understand how guitar players do it and i can join the jam.

i also think that some songs are better to listen to rather than playing them and vice versa.

my 0.02 cents  ;D
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
Surprisingly, I have never been a Beatles fan, even though I grew up in Liverpool during Beatlmania. We even had a family connection to Mimi, Lennon's aunt; she used to often send signed stuff over for my siblings and I, and we just used to give it away (Oh how I wish I'd kept some). I liked some of their singles, but never bought an album until many years later.
Even now I'm not a huge fan, (preferred George in the Travelling Wilburys) but I find a do like a lot of their stuff when played on an acoustic.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
I am a Beatles fan and followed them with CSNY, JT and Eagles. Many others too but I find now it is the melody. So many good ones out there and it doesn't matter who wrote it or made it famous. I heard a Mel Torme song yesterday that blew me away. Mel who?

Nothing like taking a great melody and mixing in your own flavor.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:43 AM »
.... I heard a Mel Torme song yesterday that blew me away. Mel who?

My older brother bought the family's first record player in the 60s, it was 2nd hand and it came with a few singles. One was Nat King Cole singing Ramblin' Rose, another was Mel Torme singing Comin' Home Baby. I was only young, it would be a few years before I could buy my own records, so I played the free ones over and over. Even now, over 50 years later, those songs give me goosebumps. The power of music  :)
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
Yes, go figure.  Now I have been working on a melody/chord arrangement of Frank Sinatra's version of "My Way"  Frank Sinatra???.....!  I think that's what's great about music, so much out there and so much waiting to be discovered you can't get bored.

GuitNGood

• My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
I was a kid when they broke up but I latched on to their music very early on. The other facet that creates a timeless quality to their catalog (in my opinion) is the amount of genres/influences represented within the body of work.

Depending on the era/album you can find songs that were inspired by folk, rockabilly, pop, rock, indian, classical, country, soul, blues, jazz, Tin Pan Alley, avant garde, etc.

This also allows for a lot of "rediscovering" songs you forgot they created when you hear them reinterpreted by others like immorroy mentioned Eva Cassidy as an excellent example.

GuitNGood
Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »
The Beatles have always had a prominent significance in my life. 
I was established in '76 and some of the very first music I remember hearing was that of The Beatles. 
Always loved it, still do!

I'll never forget a particular instance of hearing "Good Day Sunshine" being belted out of my brother's Hi-Fi phonograph. 
That intro is just timeless.
There is no mood that can stifle a smile when that snare comes in.  Definitely a go-to day-brightener for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRdtKUWn_wI

As a young boy I recall asking my older brothers (born in '68 and '71) if they'd ever been to a Beatles concert and they scoffed that that was impossible since the band broke up in 1970.  I was crushed!  It hadn't occurred to me that a band could stop existing, I actually remember crying about it. 

Although John and Pres.Reagan were shot within a few months of each other I actually don't remember the news of John's death but I have a clear recollection of the evening news on March 30, 1981 reporting the attempted assassination of Reagan.  Interesting that I remember one but not the other, especially since I recall my brothers holding onto a lot of anger and grief over John's death for quite a few years. 

As my own life has progressed I shift back and forth between listening to more early-Beatles (With the Beatles, Meet the Beatles), mid-Beatles (Beatles for Sale, Hey Jude) and the later stuff (White Album, Revolver, Abbey Road) but it's ALL good and given the hypothetical 'desert island exile with only one album' I really couldn't decide. 
 8)
Member #34
I'm not darth.