Author Topic: What if...  (Read 680 times)

GuitNGood

• My Youtube channel
What if...
« on: March 16, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »
What if I posted that I was glad to find a forum with a strict "No politics or religion" policy?

See what I just did there?  ;)

GuitNGood
Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Re: What if...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
The way I see it, arguing religion and politics is no different than arguing Ford vs. Chevy or Mac vs. PC.

For whatever reason, people get their feelings unreasonably hurt in those discussions, so they're usually banned on most forums.

When I want to discuss politics and religion, I go to a pretty vibrant politics forum I've found.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: What if...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
What if I posted that I was glad to find a forum with a strict "No politics or religion" policy?

See what I just did there?  ;)

GuitNGood

I see what you did there.  ;)

Many forums that I've participated in have such a policy, whether it's a guitar forum or motorcycle forum.  As mentioned, it's just too easy to have such discussions turn into serious fights that only hurt the forum and drive away members that would rather just talk about guitars or motorcycles or whatever. 
Plus, some forums that depend on advertising dollars uphold similar policies at the request of their advertisers that don't want their products associated with 'hate', however that is transiently defined. 

There are some forums that allow (within reason, no personal attacks please) discussion of any and all topics.  Fights still happen, but usually those forums have a smaller core membership and 'the regulars' act more like friends that enjoy heated debate but at the end of the day can shake hands and still respect each other. 
One such forum is The Soundhole.  It *technically* is a forum about acoustic guitars, but everything ends up being discussed. 
I am a regular, and there are a couple other names that I've seen both here and there.  Check it out, if you'd like.  LINK
Member #34
I'm not darth.