Author Topic: Were are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"  (Read 22727 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Were are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
no offense taken -
on the 97 the contour bridge was a direct fit for the pinless, as both pieces were CNC'd

there undoubtedly were differences in dimensions between the 97 CNC pinless bridge & 83 non-CNC pin ones,
but for the slightly later 86 models i've seen, & subsequently 89s, the hand carved contour bridges also covered the
earlier belly style bridges, not to be confused with the CNC pinless & contour bridges that were made in 90/91 & later

i think the confusion was apples to oranges, which started with the 83, 86 & 89 models & then the thread shifted to the 97's -
we're both happy with our respective guitars, the new owner is happy with his 97 414Kce pin bridge gloss top, so it's all good :)

i'm a huge fan of the 600s, including the early ones -
i have an 84 612 & 650 & the only "gripe" i have is with the cases that Taylor had outsourced at the time because the latches take
a bit of finagling to line up & the guitars do not fit well as the interior dimensions are too large, so when the case is set down or
bumped, i can hear the strings vibrating from within the case, as if to say "you will let me out of here, tune me up & play me now"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:15:04 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cpmusic

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
Many of the cases Taylor provided in the early days were well made but, as you note, they didn't always fit the guitar well. I bought my 615 used so I don't know if the case I got was supplied by Taylor, but it was not a good fit. The guitar wasn't loose inside, but its body only came in contact with four small areas inside the case, and I was never quite comfortable with that. Fortunately, in '02 I got a great deal on mid-90s Taylor-branded jumbo case, so I don't have that ill-fit problem anymore. The case was used, but it looked new.

That 615 was a great find, though. I bought it in '88 when Taylor was still an up-and-comer and even new ones were less expensive than Martin, Gibson and Guild equivalents. I played seven or eight guitars that day, and the only one I liked as much was a new J-28 which, even with a discount, would have cost at least 50% more than I paid for the 615. I went into hock for it, but I've never regretted it.

BTW, nice catch on that 650. Taylor never made many 12-string dreads, so that guitar is fairly uncommon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:31:19 PM by cpmusic »
Chris

Ahorsewithnoname

• Ohio/Florida
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
Were are the 70's and 80's Taylors?

You mean "where" ......right?
Martin OM28
Taylor 324
Taylor 214ce DLX

3Guitars

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
Well, I have a gorgeous '95 'Hog & Engelmann spruce, w/ latest ES tech. Does she count?
1994 Fender Duo Sonic w/Fralin p'ups
1995 510e w/ES system retrofit
2012 SB-2 chambered Koa Ltd.
2013 GS Mini w/ES-Go p'up and V-cable
"If it sounds good, it is good"...Duke Ellington

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
Here's two that I own that I would consider vintage or classic!

1997 Cujo 14

1995 GAKS

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cpmusic

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
To catch up on this thread, here's a comparison of old versus new cases. The first is the one I got with my 615 in 1988. It was a very sturdy case, but it was clearly not the correct shape for this guitar. The second is a Taylor jumbo case from the mid- to late 90s. It probably wasn't necessary to make the switch since I don't travel much, but I feel better about the fit.

Chris

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
i'm not sure exactly what body size guitars were meant to go in those cases back then,
or if they were even made to fit a specific guitar, probably more like "one size fits none" -
the 612 is literally swimming around in this one, with barely any contact at widest part of the bouts

thankfully, it was about 5 years, or so, later, Taylor began making cases of matching quality for their guitars 8)

support indie musicians

Redwood Tree

Re: Where are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
   1976 815 #253

Where are all the vintage Taylors?   Ok if you guys know me, I have had almost all Taylors made , Some were extra special and remain.
  So I been wanting a very early build Taylor and came apound this AD on Ebay for the 1976 815 . and was .... Taken.....

The rest is history..... 1976 Taylor 815 in the house. ..
  I've given this guitar a couple months now,  and just getting around to reporting about it.

I Love It !!! I call it my Grand Jumbo.
  This guitar resided in San Degio California minutes from it's birthplace,  Lemond Grove CA.
 I'm not sure about the serial #s.  But I was told Robert started with the serial number 100
 I have aquired S/N # 253.... So possably the 153th guitar made by Bob Taylor ?  Bob  do you remember working this Jumbo ??
Thank you for the selections of woods, just a stunner !. And it sounds like Magic.... 38 years old now. Its in remarkable good condition. Its has some refinish work done around sound hole and lower area at bridge.  No cracks, just some light scratches and dings and some light buckel rash on back, not through laquare.
  Noitce the detail in the pictures of the straps on back and end.   When I removed the truss rod cover the # 253 was penceled on its back side. (see pic) Any body else seen this.  The depth of this jumbo is deeper than current taylors . Its like a gibson j200.
 She's has been played and Loved very much. I'm proud to have stumbbled on to this nice 1976  815
 I'll get some pics up very soon. Sorry best I can do right now is my photobucket links. Use slideshow to view there are 47 pics.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/1Tomcat/1976%20Taylor%20815/DSCN1233_zps43a45e03.jpg~original

Lots of pictures

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:04:56 PM by Redwood Tree »
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

cpmusic

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
Tom, that guitar is sweet! There's nothing quite like a jumbo, and that one even got an "upgrade" to a proper Taylor-made case. Congrats on a great purchase!

BTW, if you're not already aware of it, that finish is nitro lacquer, so it will require a little more care than the current UV-cured poly.

Also BTW, the truss rod cover on my 615 is blank on the flip side.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:03:04 PM by cpmusic »
Chris

jerrytubes

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Unless there's some nostalgic reason for owning a '70's or '80's Taylor, why would you want one?  The current crop of Taylors are much better.

Here's a direct quote from Bob Taylor:  "I would never think an early Taylor is anywhere near as wonderful as a pre-war Martin. My "pre-whatever" guitars could be called "pre-knowing what you’re doing!"  He then goes on to say, "Now, if you want to talk about new guitars, I’m pretty proud about those."

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »
Unless there's some nostalgic reason for owning a '70's or '80's Taylor, why would you want one?  The current crop of Taylors are much better.

Here's a direct quote from Bob Taylor:  "I would never think an early Taylor is anywhere near as wonderful as a pre-war Martin. My "pre-whatever" guitars could be called "pre-knowing what you’re doing!"  He then goes on to say, "Now, if you want to talk about new guitars, I’m pretty proud about those."
the tone, playability & aesthetics of the older models may  be preferable -
the newer models are different, but not necessarily/automatically better

Bob no longer owns my guitars, nor does he play the guitars that i own everyday

support indie musicians

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »
Totally agree, Michael. While I don't own any 70s or 80s Taylors, I can honestly say that none of my Taylors spanning 19 years are superior to the others. I like the old ones and the new ones equally. The older ones are so sweet and played-in, and the newer ones have a fresh, new vibe that's exciting. Some day these newer ones will also be older, but I doubt that they will be inferior to the newest Taylors. While the technology improves, the aging process cannot be discounted...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:09:54 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
Totally agree, Michael. While I don't own and 70s or 80s Taylors, I can honestly say that none of my Taylors spanning 19 years are superior to the others. I like the old ones and the new ones equally. The older ones are so sweet and played-in, and the newer ones have a fresh, new vibe that's exciting. Some day these newer ones will also be older, but I doubt that they will be inferior to the newest Taylors. While the technology improves, the aging process cannot be discounted...
+1
BobSpeak page 5
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/ws_fall_2011.pdf
i agree a good bit with what's said here, taken in the context of the construction & build process & that
chances are an early Taylor will command the $ that pre-war models made by other builders is unlikely -
reissues are not what Taylor seems to be wanting to do, not that there's anything wrong with a reissue
guitar, but rather to continually move forward & to utilize technology that was not available 40 years ago

to keep making them "the way they've always been made" is a "tradition" Taylor doesn't follow, which is one of
the reasons why Taylor is still able to offer ebony fretboards & bridges & mahogany necks on many of their
guitars, while coming out with new models, some of which truly are "new" clean sheet of paper designs :)

support indie musicians

cpmusic

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »

I have a great deal of respect for Bob Taylor. He and his team have made some remarkable improvements in the design and manufacture of acoustic guitars. He's also a really nice guy.

That said, Bob makes no money from the sale of used Taylors, so it's no surprise that he speaks more highly of new ones. And that's okay, as he's got a lot to be proud of.

But the phrase "pre-knowing what you're doing" is disingenuous in regard to the guitars Taylor built before he bought his first CNC, or started using the UV-cured poly finish, or introduced the NT neck, or redesigned the braces, or any other changes he's made over the years. If pre-CNC Taylors were actually made by people who didn't know what they were doing, Taylor Guitars would never have gotten off the ground.

Even if the comment was said with tongue in cheek, the implication is that the latest Taylors are the only ones worth owning, and that's just ridiculous.
Chris

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
Hey Chris,

I think you've got it right in these ways: Bob is a really nice guy; and further, his self-depricating humor betrays genuine humility.

I don't believe for a moment that Bob is minimizing what he/they had done "pre-anything," as much as he is proud (if not surprised) of what they were able to accomplish as neophytes as well as proud of what they have become now.  These are not mutually exclusive points: one can be very satisfied with one's early successes while still feeling proud of one's latest innovation. 

Taken at face value, Bob's comments reflect a deep respect for his forebears, then acknowledges his own wading through the deep waters of manufacturing along side the big boys, and eventually arising from the pond as one of the big boys, himself.  The line "pretty proud about those [new guitars]" sounds (to me, of course) more like a dad looking at his own boy graduating from college, knowing full well how difficult that long road was, and now dad basks in the satisfaction that in this latest measure, he has hit a new and wonderful milestone; that the passion along with the pitfalls over the years truly did result in something in which he is deeply proud.

Edward
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:26:53 PM by Edward »