Author Topic: Gloss v Satin  (Read 5970 times)

tedtan

Re: Gloss v Satin
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »
The only audible difference between a gloss and satin finish of the same material and thickness is that the satin finish will make a rustling sound when your shirt sleeve/strap/whatever brushes against it whereas a gloss finish doesn't.

Next to that, the main difference between finishes in terms of sound is based on thickness - a thicker finish prevents the wood from vibrating as freely as it would with a thinner finish (or no finish at all). The thicker finish results in a guitar that has less high frequencies in the tone and is less responsive to a lighter touch (all else remaining equal).

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
The only audible difference between a gloss and satin finish of the same material and thickness is that the satin finish will make a rustling sound when your shirt sleeve/strap/whatever brushes against it whereas a gloss finish doesn't.

Exactly.

Next to that, the main difference between finishes in terms of sound is based on thickness - a thicker finish prevents the wood from vibrating as freely as it would with a thinner finish (or no finish at all). The thicker finish results in a guitar that has less high frequencies in the tone and is less responsive to a lighter touch (all else remaining equal).

And I submit that, unless their name rhymes with "Eric Johnson", a person simply wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

tedtan

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
I agree, Nomad. But I have seen electric guitars with an extraordinarily thick finish (1/8" or more) that resonated much better after removing the finish, and I suspect this effect would be even more pronounced on an acoustic. We just don't see finishes that thick on acoustics.

On the other hand, I have heard of acoustic guitars and mandolins sounding WORSE after their finish was removed, so it seems that good manufacturers and luthiers take the finish they use into acount when designing the top thickness, bracing and other voicing elements on their instruments.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
I agree, Nomad. But I have seen electric guitars with an extraordinarily thick finish (1/8" or more) that resonated much better after removing the finish.

In my almost 40 years of playing guitar, I've never seen a guitar with a finish that thick. That would be the size of an iPhone ear buds plug.

And I've certainly never heard of a finish thicker than that.

play2praiseHim

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
I am not sure of the satin finish has anything to do with it, but both of my Taylors have satin finish backs and sides. Im not sure about sound, but I can sure feel them resonate against my body a lot more than gloss finish models.

I really like that !! Its great to be able to feel the music so to speak.
Lady Toni
2013 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage Ltd.
2012 GS Mini LTD Tasmanian Blackwood