Author Topic: A bad set of Elixirs ... Is this possible?  (Read 1888 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
A bad set of Elixirs ... Is this possible?
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
Over the years I have changed strings countless times. With some brands there have been the occasional set of dogs and I can usually tell right away something ain't right. Since I was introduced to Taylor guitars and the Elixirs they come with, my go-to strings have been Elixirs. Never had a bad set ... till tonight. I recently tried a set of light gauge on my 618e just to see how it would sound with lights. I'm just getting around to switching back to mediums and when I got them on ... whoa! Nuttin'! Nada! The lights I just took off sounded much better. I'm hoping this is a fluke.

Anyone had a bad set of Elixirs? This is new ground for me.   :o
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: A bad set of Elixirs ... Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »
I never had a bad set of Elixirs, but I did have a bad set of Newtones once.  So maybe it is possible for Elixirs to be the same...
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »
It happens; it is possible to have a bad set of strings in any brand right out of the box ... one thing about Elixirs (or any coated string set for that matter) is that I find I have to play them in for a while before they sound their best ...

-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
It happens; it is possible to have a bad set of strings in any brand right out of the box ... one thing about Elixirs (or any coated string set for that matter) is that I find I have to play them in for a while before they sound their best ...

Agreed! I'm going to give them a chance but it seems they have very little volume. Strange ... this is.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
That would be a first for me.  I have always had excellent new strings from Elixir.  But I suppose it could happen.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

cedarkoa599

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
Nothing is perfect. Anything is possible. Put on a new set from a different place so you don't have the same lot and see if that helps.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
I broke an Elixir string down at the ball end when restringing my guitar. I contacted them, and they said it was very unusual for that to happen but offered to send me a replacement string. I just needed to send them my broken string. It wouldn't hurt to contact Elixir to see if they will do something. :)
Cindy