Author Topic: 214 Buzzing - again.  (Read 7415 times)

Jannie

214 Buzzing - again.
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
I'd had it two days and took it back because there was buzz in the 1st string second fret. He adjusted the neck right there, showing me what the process was, he played it hard with a stiff pick and everything was fine. I went home and played into the evening and again this morning, each time I put it away it was closed in it's case.

I'm playing for about an hour this evening and it starts buzzing again only it gets progressively worse to where I can't play, it's just too irritating and it's all the strings this time. 

This is a concern, I haven't sent in the warranty yet because they have a 10 day return policy and by monday when they are open again I'll only have had it 6 days but what the hecks going on, I really like this guitar but not if it's got an on going problem.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 214 Buzzing - again.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Are you using a guitar humidifier?  is it really dry where you live?
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Jannie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Not dry at all, I'm in the NW where it's generally cool but humid and I don't have the interior heat up, keep it around 64 all the time. It's sitting in it's case where my classical has set for the last 5 months without a problem.

Question: If I return it and upgrade to say a GA4, will that be generally overall better made or is the price difference just in the wood?  My stomach is in knots, I thought this would be a solid choice and spending more doesn't thrill me but if it means I get something that works...  I lived here with my Martin for 30 years in the same climate, same neighborhood and never a problem and I've not heard of others having problems either. Feeling Ouched! I know it will work out but it's still upsetting; I'm fortunate I deal with a very good guitar store here in Seattle and I know they'll take care of me/the guitar but now I have nothing to play until...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:18:39 PM by Jannie »

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Check out this link on buzzing and how to fix it:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/buzzing.php

Hope this helps...I'm sure other will chime in.

If it is a defect Taylor has wonderful customer service!

Definitely go back to the dealer and explain everything etc.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:29:19 PM by jjrpilot-admin »

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »
Thanks, I saved that to my music folder for future reference and from reading it, it looks to me that it's more than just a truss rod adjustment and I think I should just return it.

Does anyone have much knowledge about Ovankol wood, Taylors Sustainable wood, I'm wondering if I (choke) up the money and if they happen to have a GA4 in stock, should I go for it? I played a GC4 and at the time it just didn't feel quite right and the sound was a little thin compared to my 214 which is a GA body shape.

Taylor puts out great guitars.  If it is just one thing wrong with that particular guitar hopefully Taylor/dealer can make that right. 

The GA will sound fuller than the GC. Ovankol wood sounds VERY similar to Rosewood.  I'd go so far as to say that some my not be ble to tell the difference.  My friend had an Ovankol Taylor.  It was rich, had plenty of base, mids, and treble. 

Its been mentioned before but there's mystique to having "rare-er" wood...vs a "common/sustainable" wood.  Ovankol is a wonderful wood.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
if the guitar initially has a buzz only on the 1st string (hi E) at the second fret, the cause could be a few things -
the string might have gone bad (i've seen this happen more on wound strings to where the windings that
actually touch the fret have developed a depression) or has developed a 'dent' where it contacts the fret,
the fret end may not be completely seated or the action at the nut is incorrect (the nut slot was cut too deep)

i am assuming that if the tech made an adjustment (truss rod), i imagine he would have increased the neck relief,
but to correct any buzzing at the 2nd fret, i don't believe that the neck relief would have been the main cause -
if neck relief was taken out (truss rod tightened, then the possibiliity could be that the neck 'settled' & there is too
little relief, but if the guitar is fine initially & then after playing for a while it begins to buzz & continue to get worse,
it would almost seem like, to me, that perhaps something is not 'holding' or something has come 'loose' somehow

just a couple of questions -
are of all the strings buzzing at the 2nd fret or on other frets as well ?
do they buzz only when fretted or do they also buzz when played 'open' (unfretted) ?

if the buzz is happening when the when the strings are played 'open',
try pressing down on the truss rod cover & pick the strings again -
if the buzz goes away, the truss rod cover screws need to be tightened

if the buzzing is still there, try fretting a string between the tuning machine & the nut & pick it -
if the buzz goes away, the tuning machine bushings should be retightened (10mm wrench)

i'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your guitar, Jannie -
i am hoping that the problem can be truly corrected when the shop reopens

as for the GA4, i would suggest giving the shop a chance to make your 214 right first -
if they do have a GA4 in stock, i would compare the 2 guitars to see if you like the GA4 &
if the difference between the 2 models is worth the increase in investment to you

the GA4 also has a slightly wider neck (1 3/4" at the nut), which will still feel a bit different
than the GC4 (which has a short 24 7/8" scale, rather than the 25.5" scale of the 214/GA4

i hope this helps - please let us know if there something more we can try to do
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/truss_rod_adjustment.pdf

Jannie,

Take a look at this truss rod adjustment link from Taylor.  Adjusting it simple but make sure you make small moves with the wrench until you can get it right.  Others here can offer further assistance until you can get it looked at after the holiday.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Jannie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 11:51:54 PM »
Oh I'm not going to adjust anything and I don't have the tools, it's a brand new guitar and I'll leave everything up to the shop, but right now I'm mostly thinking about getting something else. The neck was already adjusted by them once yesterday evening and it happened again, this doesn't feel good so I'd best give it back and let them work it out. I just need to figure out what to do about replacing it.

Satsuki

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
Where is NW?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
Where is NW?
i am guessing in the Washington state area, or thereabouts :)
MERRY CHRISTMAS ! !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jannie

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
Yes Seattle.

Jack Gretz

• 570-499-1479
    • Northeast Music Center
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
I have been building and repairing guitars for over 20 years. From your description it would appear to be 3 things,

a slight backbow in the neck which is causing your stings to vibrate on the fret.

a High fret which is not allowing the string to ring out correctly

a small dent in the string - It actually happens more that you would think.   

In each case it is a easy fix, your dealer that you purchased it from should be able to remedy this trouble. if not then Taylor customer service would be your next choice , they are outstanding and would be happy to work with you.

Jack Gretz
Northeast Music Center Inc
713 Scranton Carbondale Hwy
Dickson City PA 18519
570-909-9216
http://www.nemusiccenter.com
sales@nemusiccenter.com

Jannie

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »
After a long afternoon,  a friend who's been playing/performing with a Taylor for a very long time and very analytical went with me and we got setup back in one of the teaching rooms at the guitar store. Best description was that something was weird with the neck on my 214. We spent about 2 1/2 hours playing, checking out and I finally decided to upgrade to a GC3. I tried many others, including both the GA3 and GA4 and the GC4 and with my hearing the GC was the nicest to my ear. The upgrade cost didn't hurt me and I'm a very happy camper. It was great to have someone with so much knowledge with me, I'd play, he'd play the same instrument so I could hear (he's pretty outrageously good) and we'd share opinions with the knowledge that this had to be done with my hearing which isn't normal. The shop was really busy but the cooperation was wonderful, and they brought in several more guitars for me to try out in addition to the ones we had picked off the wall.

At one point I almost thought it was going to be a Martin 000-16GT but the GC3 just pleased me in every area just a little bit more and yes the Taylor looked better but I was trying to keep that out of the equation, life experience has taught me that looks should be a reason only when you really dislike the appearance a lot and know it will bother you.

Just like any relationship, fantastic looks can come to nothing once the rest does't work well, then it doesn't matter a whitt what it or they look like if you don't like them.

But this just happens to be a very good looking guitar, the Sapele (they said it's an African mahogany) looks just like mahogany and it's just a very well balanced guitar. I'd really expected I'd end up with a GA4 from all I had read but it didn't work out that way.

Home, stopped for a good early dinner of great Chinese food on the way home. Happy Camper.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:39:15 PM by Jannie »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »
Congrats on getting a solution which worked for you. The GC's are great guitars. Wishing you years of enjoyment with it! :)
Cindy

Jannie

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
I've been playing it off and on, mostly on, for the last four hours, it's really fitting nicely and my fingers are getting very comfortable with the slightly wider fingerboard. Yes I never was concerned about the dealer, they've got sand as daddy used to say it. Someone you can count on.