Author Topic: 110 humidity issue...  (Read 3332 times)

joerogrz

110 humidity issue...
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
So I got a used 110 a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It is almost perfect except for some warpage on the top. I thought it was dry, so I got a humidifier (Kyser Lifeguard) and put it on the guitar and put it in the case overnight for a few nights taking it out only to play it. The humidifier stayed wet however, so I thought the guitar was too wet. I've let it sit for a few days outside the case to see if that helped. I placed a straight edge on the fretboard and the bridge seems to be at the right level, but when I lay a straight edge across the top just behind the bridge, it shows a dip on the (Low E string side) top side. On the other side (High E string) it shows it being about right. The dip seems to have gotten deeper, but it's just on that one side. I don't know what to do here. Is it a normal thing for 100 series?

GtrgRrl

Re: 110 humidity issue...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Where do you live?  Is humidity typically an issue there?  What you're describing doesn't sound normal.  Take it back into the dealer that you purchased it from and have them take a look at it.  They should be able to troubleshoot what's going on with it.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

www.portlandmusiccompany.com

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
Where do you live?  Is humidity typically an issue there?  What you're describing doesn't sound normal.  Take it back into the dealer that you purchased it from and have them take a look at it.  They should be able to troubleshoot what's going on with it.

Assuming it was a dealer. He says he got it used.

GtrgRrl

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Assuming it was a dealer. He says he got it used.

Ahhh......shoot.  I missed that part.  Do you have a Taylor warranty repair shop nearby?  They should be able to help you out with whatever is going on.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

joerogrz

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
I actually ordered it from Guitar Center in Cincinnati Ohio and there is one within reasonable driving distance. I actually live in Tennessee and at the moment it stays in a room that is heated, but not much. I'm not sure what the humidity level is, but I wouldn't think it would be too high, but we have been getting a lot of rain so who knows...

joerogrz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Also it has medium Elixir strings on it which is what comes on Taylor dreadnoughts as far as I know. The neck isn't dry either seeing how straight it is and the frets aren't sticking out. I'll take it to the Guitar Center this weekend and see what's up with it.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
...and at the moment it stays in a room that is heated...

First red flag.

I'm not sure what the humidity level is, but I wouldn't think it would be too high...

And that's the second red flag.

You need to know what your humidity level is, especially if you're heating the room. Even a lightly heated room can be dried out easily.

GtrgRrl

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
Also it has medium Elixir strings on it which is what comes on Taylor dreadnoughts as far as I know. The neck isn't dry either seeing how straight it is and the frets aren't sticking out. I'll take it to the Guitar Center this weekend and see what's up with it.

Do you happen to know what year the 110 is?  How does it play?  It's quite possible that this guitar has been too dry and then rehydrated in it's life before you and that this is just as good as it's going to get. 

joerogrz

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
It was made February 2011 according to the s/n. I was actually thinking about that too. The neck is really straight and it plays well and the action is fine on it at the moment. The bridge and the fretboard are almost level. The bridge is very slightly below the fretboard by about the thickness of a sheet of paper. Everything looks and plays well. It's just the top being warped the way it is.

I just find it odd that it would do it on one side more than the other. I'm going to check to see if there is any loose bracing in it. I'm also going to try using a Dampit with the cover also. The humidity card that came with it is showing that the level is too low. The Dampit will hopefully be better than the Kyser.

joerogrz

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
Update! I used a Dampit overnight and it was much drier than the Kyser humidifier when I took it out. I'm going to keep an eye on the warped area to see if it gets any better. With a straight edge across it right now, I can just barely squeeze a Tortex .88 mm pick through the gap. If it gets any better I'll be satisfied with it. I'm just hoping it affects that one side though...

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
Update! I used a Dampit overnight and it was much drier than the Kyser humidifier when I took it out. I'm going to keep an eye on the warped area to see if it gets any better. With a straight edge across it right now, I can just barely squeeze a Tortex .88 mm pick through the gap. If it gets any better I'll be satisfied with it. I'm just hoping it affects that one side though...

Don't know if it will help, but what about lying the case down on its back with the Dampit lined up under the side you want to hydrate the most?
Cindy

joerogrz

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

Don't know if it will help, but what about lying the case down on its back with the Dampit lined up under the side you want to hydrate the most?

I'm going to try it! That may work better. I imagine if it was stored on it's side for a while then it may have caused it to warp that way. Anything's possible.
The gap closed up enough that the same pick won't slide through now. It looks like it'll get better.

kcnbys

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
Looks like it's on the road to recovery!  It's amazing what some humidity will do in just a few days!  Keep using the Dampit until your not heating your house anymore this spring.  BTW - the more humidified the top becomes, the longer it will take your Dampit to dry out.
2019 Taylor 517
1997 Taylor 410
2019 Yamaha FS800

cedarkoa599

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
Get a humidity temp. gage for your case. Never keep your guitar out of the case in a heated home. When you do take your guitar out of the case to play, make sure you close your case with your damp it inside.

joerogrz

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
Update! If I'm reading correctly Guitar Center's policy for returning "vintage" instruments is to return it within 3 days. Not 30 like I originally thought. It looks like it getting straightened out anyway, so I'm really not worried about it. Keeping it in the case with the Dampit and sound hole cover seems to be taking care of the one side ok. It doesn't seem to be affecting the other side that wasn't warped...