Author Topic: Formal lessons?  (Read 1265 times)

joerogrz

Formal lessons?
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
So who here teaches guitar? Did you have formal lessons? Were they private or at a school in a 1 on 1 or class room environment?

Even though I've played since 95, I have never had any type of actual lessons in any teaching environment. Here lately the more I play, the more I think I would like to try teaching. So I would really like to know how everyone was taught? Everything I know is self taught and there really isn't much that I know. I am very much interested in learning more.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
Re: Formal lessons?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Yes on having had private lessons and I used to teach when I was younger.  I spent some time studying classical guitar and that was very useful to my development as both a guitar player and a teacher.  I don't think you necessarily need a degree or to have had lessons to teach, but you should know how to read music, music theory, and be proficient/comfortable in various styles and techniques.  Patience is definitely required too!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:06:21 AM by GSMC Bob »

joerogrz

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
I was actually thinking of taking some classes at a college that's close by where I live. I really want to learn more and would love to get into one of these classes (it's either a full class or 1 on 1 with the possibility of being put into a very small class of up to 4 people)... I really enjoy guitar and learning theory and such sounds really good to me. I'm not necessarily looking at a degree or anything though that would be cool too. And I really think I would enjoy passing on what I learn. I think I probably have the patience for it.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Sounds like a step in the right direction to achieve your goal!