Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 2254 times)

a1terrier

Advice needed please
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
Hi All
New member here but don't own a Taylor yet. Thinking seriously of selling a couple of guitars (A Tanglewood TW55 NS and a Takamine EG532 12 string) to put towards a Taylor. Was thinking about a 314 but recently played a 414 and was blown away by the guitar. The tone, playability and feel were, to me, out of this world. Not managed to play a 314 yet. My question is this. Is the 414 worth the extra £. I`ve def got Tayloritis.  Help!!!!
Thanks.

Edited to removing pricing info
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:50:37 PM by Cindy »
214CE Koa Dlx

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
I think so, but maybe because I have one  ;).  I also have a 300 series 12-string (355).  I love that too.  So, I guess I didn't really answer your question.  If it were me, I'd play them both and see what you think in comparison.  That might decide it for you.  Then, if you like them both, pick the one that is more pleasing in your eyes.  You can't go wrong with either.  Good luck.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

a1terrier

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
Thanks for reply TaylorGirl.
I want to play them both but struggling to find a store with both in stock so I can make a fair comparison. Will keep looking though.
214CE Koa Dlx

PureTone

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
Your Tanglewood has a solid spruce top with solid Mahogany back and your Takamine has a solid spruce top with Maple laminate back and sides.

The 414 might have a bottom end response a bit closer to the Tanglewood and the 314, a little more definition.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
I played the 414 when I was deciding on my Taylor. The one I played was a beautiful sounding guitar that played and sounded comparable to the 814. I thought the tone of the 814 edged out the 414, and I really liked the curly maple binding and the inlays around the soundhole and on the fretboard. In a blind play test I think it would be a very close call, especially if the 414 was a Fall Limited Edition.

So why am I talking about a 414 and 814 instead of comparing the 414 to the 814? Because I have also played the 314 and IMO the 414 is a nicer sounding instrument that closely approaches the sound of the 814. I personally don't think you can go wrong with the 414 vs. the 314. That would be my choice.

As you can see in my signature, I bought the 814, and have no regrets.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
...The tone, playability and feel were, to me, out of this world. Not managed to play a 314 yet. My question is this. Is the 414 worth the extra £. ...
Edited to removing pricing info

Welcome aboard! :D

The sapele and ovangkol are markedly different-sounding guitars.  One is not inherently better than the other despite the pricetag; your ears make one the better choice.  IMHO, do yourself a huge favor and trust no one's opinion until you play a 314.  And with any luck, you may find both a 314 and 414 together and compare.  But these are different guitars and weighing by cost (which is reality, I know, but the price delta is not huge here) is only going to muddy your decision which may result in disappointmet later, if not yet another sell/purchase down the road.  This from the BTDT school of life. :D 

Edward

a1terrier

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Thanks Edward.
 Will def try both, but as I am not familiar with Taylor guitars I think you are correct, my  best option is to find a retailer with both models and try them both without knowing which is which, then compare.
214CE Koa Dlx

PTC Bernie

Advice needed please
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
12 strings are definitely an acquired taste.  If your Tak doesn't do it for you I can see letting it go.

The Tanglewood on the other hand, is an all solid guitar ( I think, the sides may be lam ) and the ones I've played have either been excellent or just ok.  If you have one of the excellent ones, I'd say hang on to it. 

If you have the chance take the Tanglewood with you and play it side by side against the 414.  Let your ear decide which you like better and/or if the Taylor is worth the extra money.  Taylor's tend to have a much brighter sound (at least to my ear ) than other guitars.  If that's what you're after, then go for it. 
Bernie

2006 Webber 000-12 fret

1995 Taylor 612C Custom

1968 Aria 6815 12 string

a1terrier

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
Good call Bernie, was thinking that myself. Don't play the Takamine at all really. Had the Tanglewood about 8 years now and she sounds fine. Might put some Elixir strings on her then compare with the Taylor(s). Given the choice I would let the Tak go before the Tanglewood as I do play her regularly.
Trouble is I don't play professionally so I need to keep the number of keepers down as I also have three electrics as well, but don't want to part with any of them. In an ideal world I would just go and get a Taylor to add to my small collection but I think I really cant justify it, then I think `Oh what the heck do it!!`Def got Tayloritis!! Where`s my medication??
Looking forward to trying a 314 but got to say that the 414 was awesome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:06:48 PM by UTGF-Team »
214CE Koa Dlx

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
314s are great - their sapele back and sides produce a tone similar to mahogany-backed guitars, but with a bit more crispness in tone. However, the 414's ovangkol back and sides boast a more complete tonal palette, providing elements of both mahogany and rosewood. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the 414, because it would satisfy a greater number of playing applications.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
Both the 314 and 414 are stellar guitars. Make sure you play a 314 when you get a chance...you just might be surprised! Here's an idea...peruse Craigslist and see if someone has a 314 or GA3. You could always try one out even if you don't buy it. ;) At least you'd get an idea of sapele's tone.
Cindy