Author Topic: Taylor hit a home run this year IMO.  (Read 1613 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Taylor hit a home run this year IMO.
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
First of all, the new body shape. I had heard the talk of a redesigned jumbo and pretty much yawned past it -- I'm not a huge fan of the jumbo shape or sound (from any guitar maker) so I was hoping they'd maybe make the revoiced deep-body dreadnought standard across the board or something. Even when they announced the new model, I was on the fence -- the stock photos made the guitar look a little chubby and I was unsure if this was just a different flavor of the GS or what. But after hearing and seeing video reviews (particularly the Acoustic Letter reviews) and getting first-hand accounts from people on the forum, I'm pretty much convinced.

Lost in the Grand Orchestra hype is the fact that Taylor made a great move by consolidating their lineup and going back to the three-digit model system for nearly all their guitars. The acoustic series was great, and I appreciated the fact that it started out of a commitment to pure acoustic guitars at the Grand Symphony launch, but it was just too messy and unnecessary in the long run. The beauty about going to the numbered system is it actually puts some "upgraded" appointments (inlays, etc) at a very close price point, and those who want a bare-bones acoustic guitar (like myself in most instances) can go through the BTO system for a lot less than they might think.

On that note, I was happy to see (a) the Grand Orchestra debut without a cutaway and (b) a lot of the photos from NAMM showing non-cutaway models. I was worried with the consolidation of the Taylor lineup that they'd finally go all cutaway/electronics, but I'm glad that's not the case just yet.

I was planning on saving up for a 12-fret GC this year, which then went to being excited about and planning on a 12-fret 712 as a standard model and then to being just as excited -- if not more -- about the new Grand Orchestra guitar.

The only thing Taylor can do that will impress me more at this point is some kind of deal on buying two guitars, because I think I need it!

:)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Taylor hit a home run this year IMO.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »
+1  Couldn't agree more. Out of the park!

It's funny you mention a 12-fret GC. I had been socking money away for a 912 12-fret burst when the x18s were announced. Drained that piggy bank for one of the 618s. I guess it's back to saving for that 12-fret.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
Taylor really has made positive changes for 2013.  The numbering system never gave me any concerns, but I can slide back to the old system with no problem.  The only thing they could do to make it a home run year for me is revamp the web site, I have never really liked it.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
+1  Couldn't agree more. Out of the park!

It's funny you mention a 12-fret GC. I had been socking money away for a 912 12-fret burst when the x18s were announced. Drained that piggy bank for one of the 618s. I guess it's back to saving for that 12-fret.

Good call -- excited to hear your review and see some pics. I'm tempted by the 518 but I might hold out for one with a light sunburst...

Taylor really has made positive changes for 2013.  The numbering system never gave me any concerns, but I can slide back to the old system with no problem.  The only thing they could do to make it a home run year for me is revamp the web site, I have never really liked it.   

Ah, yes -- couldn't agree more about the website. Going back to something simple and classy like the previous version would have made the home run a grand slam.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Andromeda

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
I agree with all you have said!!! I am a happy Taylor fanatic!
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté