Author Topic: weird question..  (Read 1417 times)

JosephKim

weird question..
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »
What is the closest non-taylor guitar that plays like a taylor? Ive always wanted a taylor but too expensive for me. Is there a less expensive alternative?

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: weird question..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:32 AM »
I'd look for a used Taylor and/or get prices from LA Guitar Sales, Guitar Rodeo, My Favorite Guitars, Trinity Guitars, just to name a few top-notch long distance dealers with great prices and service. In lieu of those options, do what many of us do and go into debt for the guitar we want. Here's my story. I wanted a GA8 based on playing several 814ce guitars (I've never seen a GA8 in a store). I bought and sold a slew of other guitars before buying my current GA8. It would have been a lot cheaper to get the GA8 in the first place. My advice is to get what you want-it will be much cheaper in the long run...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:22:50 AM by jrporter »

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
I agree with JRPorter - if you can try and get the guitar you want even if you have to wait....you will end up with it anyway after spending alot more money.  How about a used GS Mini - they can be had for less than you think - look around, at the classifieds here and over at AGF.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
I honestly don't know if you will find an inexpensive guitar that plays like a Taylor. Taylors have an NT neck. The neck is designed to be removed completely from the guitar and its angle (in relation to the guitar's body) can be adjusted when doing a neck reset. It's a very inexpensive alternative compared to neck resets of many other manufacturers, and it's one of the things that makes Taylor Guitars play so well.
Cindy

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
There are plenty of lesser expensive alternatives... but nothing else that plays and sounds like a Taylor.  Over the years, I had a Washburn and an Ovation that were less expensive "travel" guitars.  Yamaha and Epiphone guitars I've played have been decent.  Get out there and start playing other guitars... with your budget in mind, play everything you can get your hands on in that price range.  Then, pick up a Taylor for comparison.  With focus, you will find something that feels right to you.  Sometimes the search is part of the fun.  You may find that a "right now" guitar (while you continue to save up) will keep up your interest in playing... and searching for the right guitar.

Good luck with the search.

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

captainchaos

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
Why don't you buy a GS Mini?
A wonderful well sounding real Taylor!

Yes it is small - but that little guitar houses a BIG guitar inside! :)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
Man Joseph, you landed in a tough room!  :)

Just kidding, friend ...it's an excellent question.  And if I may be as bold to say, I feel folks chiming in from this forum are trying to offer you their best advice having gone through other marques, lest you or a casual reader may mistake this thread as a taylor-fanboy-lovefest :D

That said, I too have gone through many a guitar marque over the decades and not only have arrived at Taylor for my acoustic choice, but love the marque (over other marques, yes) for what it brings to the table overall.  Tone, playability, and beauty, all paramount, to be sure; but reliability, quality, innovation, and value over the long haul are all there in spades; not to mention customer service from a company that I have honestly never personally seen in music ever  (except for maybe MesaBoogie ...had to give them their well-deserved props) ...and arguably with any other large manufacturer of stuff.  To say that Taylor "supports" their wares is an understatement.  Do some checking and you will find countless owner testimonies that clearly point to a company that serves its base like none other.  That may sound like hyperbole, but it is certainly my experience over quite some time over lots of gear bought/sold for want of finding my best.  All of which, by the way, takes away nothing from other fine guitars out there as much as it speaks of how much better Taylor does its thing.

OK, so save up dough for a Taylor: fine ...but that doesn't help you for the here-and-now.  May I suggest Seagull, Eastman, or Epi's "Masterbuilt" series.  Also some Takamines. Some truly fine guitars for their pricepoint, IMHO, but watch out for the really low-priced ones as I have found some to be pretty cheesy.  And I'd definitely suggest a used guitar as the clear bang-for-buck winner ...and this even more true for Taylor guitars.

Welcome to the board and hope to see you more here!

Edward
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:33:26 PM by Edward »

JosephKim

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Thank you for the responses! I hope one day I will be able to own a Taylor 814ce or something like that :D. I am thinking of trying out an Eastman AC422CE for now.