Author Topic: The Grand Orchestra  (Read 33646 times)

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: The Grand Orchestra
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
The Jumbo really is not an option right now.  I guess I did not know the Dread had more surface area.  When I look at the pics of the new model it kind of looks like a dread shoulder and waist with the GS lower bout.

Jumbos are still offered by Taylor as the LKSM and LKSM-6 are jumbos.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
Per "Wood and Steel:"

Body length:  20-5/8"

Body width: 16-3/4"

Body depth: 4-13/16"

Thanks for the specifications.

Taylor Dimensions

.................Grand Symphony..........Grand Orchestra..........Jumbo
Body Width: .....16 1/4 inches.............16 3/4 inches...........17 inches
Body Depth: ......4 5/8 inches..............4 13/16 inches..........4 5/8 inches
Body Length: ....20 inches.................20 5/8 inches...........21 inches

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
Am I the only one not excited over this model?

Clearly, I will have to reserve final judgment until I get to play one, but the traditional jumbo body was a beautiful (and traditional ...read "good") shape: the one I was looking forward to Taylor revoicing and impressing us with.  This "GO" looks bulky and overweight ...a definite -1 on aesthetics, IMHO.

Of course,  tone will tell.  But if all I wanted was sheer volume I'd plug in.  Jumbo bodies (Taylors and others) had a nice voice going on there that somehow suited its voluptuous shape.  Given the "GO" pics so far, I'm not enamored regardless of how "big" it sounds.  Perhaps that's a bit shallow (and again, admittedly premature), but I am hoping its voice will win me over.

Edward

I'm in total agreement with you, Edward, as stated earlier in this thread. If you think about it, Taylor's new line including the GA, the GS, the GO and the DN is a heavily concentrated on large guitars, while the GC sits all by itself as the only "smallish" guitar in the line. In this plug-in age, I don't think that we need more volume to emanate from a guitar's size. For me, it's all about tone. If the GO is going to be equipped with medium gauge strings like the GS, that will also be a turn-off for me, no matter how "rich" it sounds. With all the tradition of 00s, 000s and OMs out there, it would nice if Taylor would bring something new to the table in this arena. I  would still like to see an SJ or something a bit larger than the GS mini as an idea... I'll certainly give one or two of these GOs a try, but as I'm not a big GS fan, I doubt that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
The Jumbo really is not an option right now.  I guess I did not know the Dread had more surface area.  When I look at the pics of the new model it kind of looks like a dread shoulder and waist with the GS lower bout.

True, but they're also tuned down from concert pitch and have heavier bracing.

I love the look of the 618. I can't wait to try it.

Andromeda

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »

Clearly, I will have to reserve final judgment until I get to play one, but the traditional jumbo body was a beautiful (and traditional ...read "good") shape: the one I was looking forward to Taylor revoicing and impressing us with.  This "GO" looks bulky and overweight ...a definite -1 on aesthetics, IMHO.

Of course,  tone will tell.  But if all I wanted was sheer volume I'd plug in.  Jumbo bodies (Taylors and others) had a nice voice going on there that somehow suited its voluptuous shape.  Given the "GO" pics so far, I'm not enamored regardless of how "big" it sounds.  Perhaps that's a bit shallow (and again, admittedly premature), but I am hoping its voice will win me over.

Edward

I'm in total agreement with you, Edward, as stated earlier in this thread. If you think about it, Taylor's new line including the GA, the GS, the GO and the DN is a heavily concentrated on large guitars, while the GC sits all by itself as the only "smallish" guitar in the line. In this plug-in age, I don't think that we need more volume to emanate from a guitar's size. For me, it's all about tone. If the GO is going to be equipped with medium gauge strings like the GS, that will also be a turn-off for me, no matter how "rich" it sounds. With all the tradition of 00s, 000s and OMs out there, it would nice if Taylor would bring something new to the table in this arena. I  would still like to see an SJ or something a bit larger than the GS mini as an idea... I'll certainly give one or two of these GOs a try, but as I'm not a big GS fan, I doubt that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Interesting perspective. I have always loved the jumbo size and I never would consider the GA a large guitar. I find it rather on the small side. I see the GS as a mini jumbo and more or less the average size for a guitar. I only see the traditional jumbo and now the GO are really being large guitars.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

Unlike the 12-string version, the LKSM-6 is intended to be tuned to E.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »

Well, then for that matter, a person could just go the BTO route.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »

Edward

Interesting perspective. I have always loved the jumbo size and I never would consider the GA a large guitar. I find it rather on the small side. I see the GS as a mini jumbo and more or less the average size for a guitar. I only see the traditional jumbo and now the GO are really being large guitars.

If you think about it, the GA is the same size as a standard dreadnought (length, width, depth) with a narrowed waist. That would make it a large guitar when you compare it to a GC, an OM, a 000 or a 00. I just think that there is an imbalance in the Taylor line with a heavier concentration on larger guitars. In addition, it used to be easy to distinguish a GA from a DN from a Jumbo, but now with the addition of the GS and the GO, along with the discontinuation of the jumbo as we knew (and loved) it, the line looks a lot more homogeneous. I'm still a Taylor fan, but anything larger than a GA is too large for me. Taylor, don't forget "the little people"!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »

Well, then for that matter, a person could just go the BTO route.
yep.
the jumbo & grand orchestra are shown on the current BTO sheet -
unfortunately, other than for custom wood options, macassar ebony, walnut & adirondack
are the only options shown, other than woods used on standard series models (no redwood at all)

either an OM between the size of of a GC & GA (15.25 to 15.5") or a mini jumbo just under the GA dimensions
(15.75" lower bout with a slightly deeper than 4 5/8" body) with contours resembling the GS would have been
more 'expected', imho ... like, DN (redesigned), GC, GA & JM (redesigned), GS ('GA+'), GO ('GS+"), OM ('GC+') & CJ ('GA ver 2.0')
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:55:33 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »

Probably not, but Taylor will be banking on the more people being excited than not excited.

Tugboat

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
Chalk me up in the not excited camp. It reminds me of one of those gigantic guitars in a Mariachi band. I prefer the GA to the GS. I'd imagine I'd like the GO even less. Truth is in the playing though.  It's kinda funny. I like dreads but they have a different voice than the GA/GS guitars. The GS just sounds like a less balanced GA.

One of these days I may get a wild hair and build one of those Stew-Mac D-18 kits.
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »

Probably not, but Taylor will be banking on the more people being excited than not excited.
hoping to be able to compare a first edition 618e to a 91 615
but seeing as there seems to be a run of 100 ea (with upgrades)
the likelihood of my finding one on a rack is probably very slim -
ah well ... may end up going the BTO rout (less $ & cutaway option)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
My dealer is expecting their first one tomorrow. I'll be there to check it out.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »
The description of the grand orchestra model being gigantic and reminiscent of a Mexican guitarrón seems odd to me considering that the guitar is smaller than Taylor's jumbo guitars.

Tugboat

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
The description of the grand orchestra model being gigantic and reminiscent of a Mexican guitarrón seems odd to me considering that the guitar is smaller than Taylor's jumbo guitars.

Jumbo guitars in general look that to me. That's not exclusive to the GO. They just look goofy IMO.
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone