Author Topic: The Grand Orchestra  (Read 33651 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: The Grand Orchestra
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
Perhaps this was the "orchestra model" that a Taylor employee had recently hinted at, so there won't be a true OM in the sense of what we've all experienced in the past. This new one looks like a bloated GS (America does have an obesity problem in more ways than one.), and if it does represent the revoiced  jumbo (not nearly as sexy-looking as the older Taylor jumbo), then I'm a bit disappointed.  I'm sure that it will be loud, but I'll stick with my very comfortable GAs for the time being...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
... So it still could the GS ( which is the largest body) but with all new bracing design to give it the new voice.

Sound Board Area

Grand Concert:......223 sq in
Grand Auditorium:...243.5 sq in
Grand Symphony:.....247.25 sq in
Dreadnought:........252.5 sq in
Jumbo:..............267.4 sq in

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Perhaps this was the "orchestra model" that a Taylor employee had recently hinted at, so there won't be a true OM in the sense of what we've all experienced in the past.

I think it's all but certain this is what the poster was hearing about on that tour.

In other news, I think Santa Cruz is debuting an "OM Grand" model at NAMM -- so Taylor's not the only builder bringing big "O"s to the show :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

leeasam

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
... So it still could the GS ( which is the largest body) but with all new bracing design to give it the new voice.

Sound Board Area

Grand Concert:......223 sq in
Grand Auditorium:...243.5 sq in
Grand Symphony:.....247.25 sq in
Dreadnought:........252.5 sq in
Jumbo:..............267.4 sq in

The Jumbo really is not an option right now.  I guess I did not know the Dread had more surface area.  When I look at the pics of the new model it kind of looks like a dread shoulder and waist with the GS lower bout.
2010 816CE Taylor
2012 PRS P22 Black Gold wrap around
2012 Taylor GS mini

Joseph

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
Really impressed with what Taylor is doing with the straight non cutaway guitars these days... The GS just blows me away with volume, tone, and bottom end. My old jumbo (415 - pre NT neck) can't come close to it.. I can only imagine what this GO is gonna sound like.  I'm thinkin' we're gonna see some older Taylor models listed for sale here...soon!   ;)
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

The Wink

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
This was the "big" news I heard about. They are already on the 2013 BTO sheets. I know there are 518's, 618's and 918's already being shipped. All with es so they would all be "e's" after the number. Can't wait to play one this week.
The Wink

04' Taylor Big Baby
07' Taylor GA7 - Koa Binding
08' Taylor GA Fall Limited - Coco
08' Taylor GA Fall Limited - Koa
11' Taylor GA Fall Limited Koa 12 Fret - GONE - BUT LOOKING FOR ANOTHER

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Wowzer! Thanks for the heads up! :)
Cindy

Andromeda

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
If the GO is replacing the traditional jumbo then I will hold onto my custom jumbo...hopefully I will be able to grab a new GO Model or go the BTO route.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

Andromeda

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
John Denver used to play this Yamaha 12-string. I always thought it was atraditional Jumbo style until one time I got a good look at it and noticed that it really wasn't the shape of a traditional jumbo. I think it looks more like Taylors new GO shape.

2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

robhanesworth

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
Per "Wood and Steel:"

Body length:  20-5/8"

Body width: 16-3/4"

Body depth: 4-13/16"

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Perhaps this was the "orchestra model" that a Taylor employee had recently hinted at, so there won't be a true OM in the sense of what we've all experienced in the past.

I think it's all but certain this is what the poster was hearing about on that tour.

In other news, I think Santa Cruz is debuting an "OM Grand" model at NAMM -- so Taylor's not the only builder bringing big "O"s to the show :)

Lowden's been bringing O's to the show for many years. The GO looks a lot like my O32...which is LOUD.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
Am I the only one not excited over this model?

Clearly, I will have to reserve final judgment until I get to play one, but the traditional jumbo body was a beautiful (and traditional ...read "good") shape: the one I was looking forward to Taylor revoicing and impressing us with.  This "GO" looks bulky and overweight ...a definite -1 on aesthetics, IMHO.

Of course,  tone will tell.  But if all I wanted was sheer volume I'd plug in.  Jumbo bodies (Taylors and others) had a nice voice going on there that somehow suited its voluptuous shape.  Given the "GO" pics so far, I'm not enamored regardless of how "big" it sounds.  Perhaps that's a bit shallow (and again, admittedly premature), but I am hoping its voice will win me over.

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
side bracing, adirondack bracing on the 6 & 9 (first edition) &
sitka top on the 5 (with a deco diamond headstock inlay) 8)

still surprised that the shape is larger than a GS & closer to a jumbo -
perhaps the redesigned jumbo turned into this model & rather than having accentuated
low & high end response, the descriptor closest resembling the voicing was orchestra

imho, this oughta be something :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

temporaryalias

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:36 AM »
Obviously the cat's out of the bag but given that the official release date wasn't supposed to be until the 25th I'll say only that the GO is the most powerful Taylor I have ever played! As I was playing the Rosewood version I noticed that my coffee cup, which was located a few feet away on a small table started to vibrate.  ;)

Hey Ted!

What are the odds there will be a BTO option for a Bari with a GO shape? Makes my mouth water! Still loving that sinker GC btw. Still can't thank you two enough. :)
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

theguitarguru

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 03:21:34 AM »
Am I the only one not excited over this model?

Edward

This GO looks chubby... I wonder if Taylor is discontinuing their acoustic lines...
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family