Author Topic: The Grand Orchestra  (Read 33649 times)

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: The Grand Orchestra
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Saturday I made a trip from Maine to New Hampshire and back to try out the the limited edition 518, 618 and 918. I don't know that I can provide any meaningful comments as I find it very difficult to effectively convey tonal impressions but the guitars were impressive. It should be noted that I play without picks and keep my fingernails short so the sound I produce on these guitars might be quite different from those that most people achieve.

My judgement is that there is a greater difference between the grand orchestra and grand symphony than there is between the grand symphony and the grand auditorium. I first played the 518 and my immediate perception was that the sound was a bit pinched. That adjective may not mean much to most people and if I had to explain it differently I'd say that it seemed as if a band of midrange frequencies were attenuated as compared to any Taylors I've played that I can recall. (A sound spectrum analysis could very well show that what I'm calling a pinched sound may be due to something else but that is the way I envisioned it as I played.) That perception persisted when I played the other two guitars. When I tried the 618, I quickly put it back and went on the play the 918. Initially, I thought I preferred the 518 but when I went back to it, I realized that I liked the 918 more. (That I played the 618 between the 518 and the 918 may have been a factor.)

I had my Engelmann/Brazilian rosewood  grand auditorium with me in case I wanted to trade it in towards any of the orchestra models and for comparison purposes. (I've taken that guitar to Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and to an R. Taylor roadshow but never found something for which I was willing to trade it in.) When I switched from the 918 to my guitar, I again noticed that pinched quality but as I switched back and forth, I decided that the net effect of the 918 was preferable to the overall sound of my guitar. My wife also preferred the sound of the 918. A guitar is a product of compromises and it is artful compromise that yields a good guitar. I decided to trade-in my grand auditorium guitar but couldn't reach an understanding with the dealer so I returned home without a new guitar.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and we have struck a bargain so I'll be saying good by to a guitar I've owned for 16 years and will be picking up the 918 on Saturday. On that day I will own Taylors made in 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003 and 2013.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
Well, congrats Herb, on your new 918e.

Sounds like a well thought out approach and a/b. Must have been really something to beat out a Engleman/BRW GA.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
Congrats, Herb Hunter!!
GO guitars have some hard-to-describe vibe that cannot be found in any other guitar.
Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:50:00 PM by Giraku »
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
Congrats Herb!!!  I'd love your thorough review once you've spent some time with it!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Andromeda

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the review and the purchase of a new 918! I hope we can get another review with pictures when the guitar arrives.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Sounds like a nice trade, I look forward to the review and pictures.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
As to a 12-string version, it is not an option at this time but I am certain it's only a matter of time given the amount of interest. BTW, I played a Maple / Spruce BTO version at NAMM with a cutaway and armrest, loved it! In fact I suggested to Andy that the armrest option be discounted for Grand Orchestra BTO's. He promised to get back to me on that.  ;D

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:53 AM »
In fact I suggested to Andy that the armrest option be discounted for Grand Orchestra BTO's.

That's interesting. Why suggest it for only GO BTO's as opposed to other body styles?

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
In fact I suggested to Andy that the armrest option be discounted for Grand Orchestra BTO's.

That's interesting. Why suggest it for only GO BTO's as opposed to other body styles?

Knowing the work it takes to install an armrest it was a joke of course but I couldn't resist. And yes, an armrest is a fantastic addition to any BTO but it seems less of a luxury on the GO, and you can tell your wives I said that.  ;)

Andromeda

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
As to a 12-string version, it is not an option at this time but I am certain it's only a matter of time given the amount of interest. BTW, I played a Maple / Spruce BTO version at NAMM with a cutaway and armrest, loved it! In fact I suggested to Andy that the armrest option be discounted for Grand Orchestra BTO's. He promised to get back to me on that.  ;D

I would think that a 12-string would be great for the GO body style.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

PureTone

« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
With the added body depth of the GO, whether it is 4 13/16" or 5" measured at the tail block or bridge, an armrest may increase the playing comfort of the guitar to where it could be the deciding factor if one is considering purchasing it.

The BTO armrest is rather pricey, though. It is the same cost as Macassar Ebony or a Paua Abalone top with extension.

Maybe a Builder's Reserve GO model with an armrest is next ?