Author Topic: Your ratio of practicing excercises vs songs?  (Read 2992 times)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
Your ratio of practicing excercises vs songs?
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
I'm working on better finger independence, dexterity, maneuvering, and speed for both hands and am using several exercises to do it. I'm spend a lot of time practicing scales (chromatic, major, pentatonic, etc.), the spider exercise, some exercises from Pebber Brown, and the using the book, Guitar Aerobics. I find that these are really helping me get better. I used to focus only on learning songs to play and practicing them until I could play them reasonably well. Now, from playing the exercises I find it much easier and quicker to learn the songs that I like and even songs of my own creation.

I guess where I'm going with this is, what kind of balance do you strike between practicing songs vs. playing exercises? After all, the reason we play is to play music, not scales.

I'm really curious to see your responses.

Jim

1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Your ratio of practicing excercises vs songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
For me it depends on how close I am to playing out. If I'm close, say within a week or two, I'm polishing my songs and getting them to a place where I don't really have to think to play (if that makes sense). If I'm practicing just for me, about 50/50 exercises to songs. I have found that's a good mix to keep me progressing and to keep me interested.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »
I much prefer playing songs to exercises so I do very little pure exercise.  As a result, I am just a mediocre guitar player but that doesn't retract from my enjoyment.  I do an open mic every 2-4 weeks so am constantly learning new songs although don't strive for note-for-note perfection.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
I have the guitar aerobics and use it intermittently, seems just when I get a groove going on the book something happens and I slack off for a few weeks.  I'm really not good at just straight up practicing scales and such.....find them boring.

For me, I feel the fact that I play mostly fiddle tunes (for some odd reason.... ???) I get more than enough practice on finger dexterity.  I have periods where I play with alot of hammer-ons/pull-offs and other times I focus on cleanly flatpicking each note of the tune and work on speed.

The other day I was lamenting to my instructor that I can't "play faster" and he gave me the old playing fast is overrated talk and then gave me a few exercises based on the pentatonic scale.  Well, they turned out to be exactly the runs I have been playing in tunes like St. Anne's Reel, Black Mountain Rag, Whiskey Before Breakfast, Billy in the Lowground and even Blackberry Smoke's "Good One".

I also grab my guitar when watching a movie or football and practice picking with my right hand to get faster and again mostly just playing the fiddle tunes I know.  They are great at getting you moving top to bottom and up the neck a position or two.

I went to see TSO last month and wanted to learn how to do the "O Holy Night" lead guitar.  To my surprise I was able to play it pretty well - not at Al Pitrelli's speed of course but passable for just a few hours of practice.  It reminded me of the time I was talking to a woman who did alot of rock guitar gigging - she asked me what I play and such and I said "oh, just fiddle tunes you know nothing great"........ :-[.  She laughed and said that she thought they were good songs to play to practice flatpicking as it crossed over into rock guitar leads......I had never really thought of them that way........ 8)

So my long windy reply boils down to for me - I get to play and practice at the same time.

PTC Bernie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
Exercises, BORING!    :P

Songs, GOOD!   ;D

If you don't feel that the songs you play are testing your skills as a guitarist, there are always more difficult songs out there.
Bernie

2006 Webber 000-12 fret

1995 Taylor 612C Custom

1968 Aria 6815 12 string

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
Two that I have challenged myself with are Never Going Back Again and Fire and Rain.

The exercises may be boring, but in my experience they definitely help.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Tugboat

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
I try to do 10-15 minutes of exercises when I practice. I don't always do it but I do it much more often than not. I also have a habit of biting off more than I can chew when I learn new songs and stubbornly refusing to give up until I have it learned.  ;D

That hampers how many songs I know but it's really cool when I can finally play a difficult (for me) song.
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone

Riggie

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
I much prefer playing songs to exercises so I do very little pure exercise.  As a result, I am just a mediocre guitar player but that doesn't retract from my enjoyment.  I do an open mic every 2-4 weeks so am constantly learning new songs although don't strive for note-for-note perfection.

I don't practice at all, except when learningba new song. I play out 2-3 times a month and get paid thevequivalen of 150-200 USD per gig. I'm a reasonable rhythm player and can do the odd solo. I know I should practice scalescand theory but just can never be bothered.
Taylor PS16ce
PRS Swamp Ash Studio
Takamine Nashville
David Freshwater mandocello

Riggie

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
Sorry for the typing errors, iPad keyboard is a pita!

Just did a chek on exchange rates and I get 250-300 usd per gig. How does that comparevwith US bar gigs?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:17:58 PM by Riggie »
Taylor PS16ce
PRS Swamp Ash Studio
Takamine Nashville
David Freshwater mandocello

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
I've never used exercises in all my playing years. (If I had, I probably would be a better player.) I'm one of those guys who assembles something before reading the instructions or begins to play a board game before reading the rules. People tell me that I'm a talented guitarist, but I don't think I'm as technically adept as many others. I just try to make the best of what I've picked up over the years by playing what I hear....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

luckycanine

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »
90/10% for playing, exercising respectively....approx..  Hard to maintain focus on exercises as boredom is a vile creature. WC

Ehenson

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »
I usually play a couple scales as a "warm up" then it's on to songs.
2010 spring ltd koa 12 fret
2011 fall ltd ga koa
2011 T5-C2 koa
2012 bto gc all hog 12 fret
2013 918 first edition
2013 616 spring ltd macassar ebony

Jake_Henry

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
I was told by a professor at Berkeley in Boston...  1/4 of your time in reviewing old music, 1/4 in learning new, 1/4 in technical exercises, and 1/4 in improv.  I've tried to stick to that and it's making a real difference in my playing.  That, and the metronome.
2001 w12ce