Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 2259 times)

peytone

New to forum
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Hello to all of you out there in Taylor land.

I'm new to this forum and am currently learning about and preparing to purchase a Taylor. Even though I've been playing for 40+ years, I've never owned a Taylor guitar (though I used to play someone else's a lot ;D).  I am considering one of the BTO 12 frets or possibly a Style 2 R Taylor.  It seems to me that Taylors keep evolving and I'm wondering what anyone thinks about the wisdom/stupidity of buying as late as possible into the evolutionary chain.   Another thing I'm curious about is consistency of sound, given that a lot of buying is done over the internet; how much can you rely on the design, model and wood to meet expectations?

I am selling a Bourgeois SJ to finance the Taylor.  Bourgeois have a reputation of being reliable in terms of the sound they produce.  The one I have is outstanding, as well, but not what I need right now, hence my desire to sell or trade for something else.

Anyway, good to be here and look forward to getting to know you.

Peyton Fatherree
Napa, CA

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
 Hi Peyton. Welcome to the UTGF. This is a great site with some awesome members and plenty of guitar knowledge. Enjoy.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »
Welcome aboard.  My situation isn't too far off from yours... have played for 48 years, never bought a guitar I hadn't played first... until this past year.  I bought two Taylor's sight unseen, and couldn't be more delighted... one by phone (Guitar Rodeo) and one on the Internet.  I had played others of the same model, and they were very consistent. 

For full disclosure, I worried plenty between purchase and delivery.  Both arrived on schedule and in perfect shape.

Good luck with the search.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

StratsRock

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
Welcome to the best forum on the net! We're glad you're here and look forward to your participation.
Gary

2012 Taylor 312ce
2012 Taylor BBT
2008 Fender American Standard Strat 3TSB RW
2011 Fender MIM Standard Strat 2TSB Maple

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Welcome! Although I don't post a whole lot, this forum offers a wealth of information and support!

612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
Hi Peyton,  welcome aboard.  I think you'll find consistency is good with Taylor for high construction quality, I also think that all guitars including Taylors need to be played to make sure it is the sound you want.  I tried out a few 814ce before I found "the one", had a good time doing it too.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

peytone

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
Thanks for all the greetings!
Upon further consideration, I'm thinkin that playin is becoming increasingly tactile and my hands aren't feelin as good as they used to either! I don't
even get to sit in front of the darn thing to hear it when I play. This is to say to myself that the super critical, obsessive detailed examination I sometimes find myself in is a waste of time.  Actually, I love to play and feel blessed to have any guitar to play let alone such instruments as I have.  Best Wishes to you all and thanks again for the welcome.  This is by far the most I've ever said on any forum to date!  Peyton

i d

i don't