Author Topic: Why doesn't my new Taylor have a pre-drilled 1/2" endpin hole?  (Read 1591 times)

ds114

Why doesn't my new Taylor have a pre-drilled 1/2" endpin hole?
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
I am a new 2012 114 (non-electric) owner. From what I have read (and seen photos of) here and in other resources, Taylor manufactures its guitars with a pre-drilled 1/2" hole at the endpin location, which is typically coverd by a plate. But mine simply has an ordinary strap pin screwed into the endblock.

Is this not done on the lower series, or maybe is only done on factory electrics? I am planning to install jjb electronics soundboard transducers, which I was very happy with on my prior acoustic, a Seagull S6.

I am hoping there are no surprises awaiting me when I expand the strap pin hole to accept the endpin. I haven't decided yet if I am going to hand ream, use a unibit, or use both methods.

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: Why doesn't my new Taylor have a pre-drilled 1/2" endpin hole?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
I have two non es guitars and they both have 1/2" holes drill with the end pin t-nut installed in the interior of the guitar.  Try to unscrew the end pin and see if the hole is there.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

ds114

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I have two non es guitars and they both have 1/2" holes drill with the end pin t-nut installed in the interior of the guitar.  Try to unscrew the end pin and see if the hole is there.

Thanks, yes I did that and it is simply a strap pin and the screw threads directly into the body /end block

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
I'm going to conjecture that this is new for the Tecate-made Taylors that don't come with electronics. The two no-C no-E Taylors I've bought both had the pre-drilled endpin hole that you mention, and they were both made in El Cajon.

Here is a useful guide from Frank Ford about drilling out the hole.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

ds114

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
Thanks jalbert. I've been looking around some more and notice some online retailers refer to the "all new" 100-200 series so this could be a new change. Oh well.

I did it once before on my seagull with no issues, but I have to get up the nerve again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:42:38 PM by ds114 »