Author Topic: 2004 Taylor 314ce Pickup Conversion Help  (Read 2724 times)

Groni

2004 Taylor 314ce Pickup Conversion Help
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
Can anyone help me with ideas to convert a 2004 Taylor 314ce from the long AA battery compartment (at the strap) to a compact 9V pickup?

The guitar is equipped with the Expression system, and the long AA battery compartment was weak since day one. First the end cap came loose (sound hole end of the battery enclosure) which I gave a duct tape fix, but more issues kept coming up. I thought I'd be able to find a conversion kit on the Taylor website (since I read about others having issues with the double A enclosure some years ago), but no luck.

Any suggestions?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: 2004 Taylor 314ce Pickup Conversion Help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
other than the repair center at the factory, the only other person that i know of that
is set up to re-rout the tailblock for the 9V power supply is Pat DiBurro (Exeter, NH) -
there could be others that can do it, but i just don't know who off the top of my head
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Hi Groni,

I've had a AA-ES converted to a 2010 version.  Best way to do it is to call Taylor for an authorized tech nearest to you.  Mine came out perfectly, not to mention you buying the 2010 preamp/harness from Taylor and then paying for the work performed locally is far less costly even with the minor woodworking necesssary with the AA compartment (not to mention less stressful as you don't have to ship your guit) than the factory performing the work.  As a reward for your trouble, you will have the improved tone of the current-generation ES as well as having the trouble-free 9v battery compartment over the pesky AAs.

OTOH, if you are the guitar's original owner, then your ES is covered under warranty.  If they accept it, then they will likely replace your 1st-gen with the 2nd-gen ES (the 2007-2009 9v system) so you won't be getting the newest ES, but will still be a vast improvement.  You will be on the hook for shipping costs, but at least you'll get a great sounding amp'd tone in return :)

Edward
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:28:16 AM by Edward »

Tony D

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »
Hi Groni,

I am new to this forum however I had a lot of problems with my 314CE when I first got it due to the AA battery system. I called Taylor and they changed it to a 9V for free. Also intonated my guitar and were just fantastic. I did have to pay for shipping but it was well worth it.

Tony D