Author Topic: Thought I was a Gibson fan until I brought home a cracked Taylor 614ce in black  (Read 2557 times)

Michigancountryroads

Never thought a Taylor would compare to my beloved 50 year Gibson. (which had 5 cracks I had repaired 40 years ago)
Fell in love with the look of a Guild Black Acoustic guitar 15 years ago selling for $4000.  Of course I could not afford that, so I have been looking on and off all this time for a high quality black acoustic guitar.  One appeared on Craigslist a month ago;  a black Taylor 614ce with a crack in it.  Knowing personally cracks in acoustic guitars do not affect the sound...I ran as fast as I could and brought home this beautiful instrument.  Just a few dollars to get it fixed and wow; it fits me like a glove.   I never knew how great Taylor guitars were. Great tone and so easy to play. And in black the pearl inlays just pop; a very beautiful looking guitar.   
Upon doing more research it is probably not the guitar for me as I don't gig, just play at home.  But I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I do have a more finger piking style  so it suits me just fine. 
I am proud to be a new member of the Taylor fan club!  Just wanted to share my story...

shorty

A warm welcome to the forum my friend! I also enjoy fingerpicking but may not have thee fingerpicking guitar, but hey whatever works for us is an excellent choice. luv to see some pics... ;)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Congrats on your new Taylor!  Please make yourself at home!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Welcome, the new guitar sounds wonderful, congrats!!

StratsRock

Welcome to the madness :o ;)
Gary

2012 Taylor 312ce
2012 Taylor BBT
2008 Fender American Standard Strat 3TSB RW
2011 Fender MIM Standard Strat 2TSB Maple

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
 Hi Michigancountryroads. Welcome to the UTGF. Congrats on the 614ce. Enjoy the site.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Michigancountryroads

I have attached a picture of my 50 year old  Gibson with my new Taylor.  Thank you for the warm welcome.
I am enjoying learning about my guitar on this site

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Welcome Michigancountryroads.  The Beatles were just appearing on Ed Sullivan when your Gibson was built, sounds like it has served you well.  The Taylor is a beaut. I have seen one like it being used by a musician on stage just a couple of weeks ago, Nice. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
What a beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL guitar! (The 614ce I mean.) Welcome to the "club". I think you DO have the "right" guitar for you, since you like playing it and looking at it so much. Just b/c a guitar brand or style or whatever is used to gig or play publicly or in the studio more than others, that in no way diminishes your choice of the perfect guitar for you! It's funny that we don't know what we don't know, huh? I am anxiously waiting for the day I will bring home a new 615ce in trans black (or if that cannot happen due to budgetary constraints, at least a DDSM or maybe even a 214ce-blk) as I have wanted a black Taylor for a long time now. Yours is awesome.

I think your new Taylor is a million times more guitar than the old Gibson... but before I get flamed :) just let me say that I personally am not a Gibson fan at all, and I am even less of a fan of old/classic/vintage guitars. I'd take a brand new (or anything post-ES... 2004 or newer) Taylor jumbo over ANY other brand or age/vintage at any price. The only reason I'd ever own or go after a classic/vintage guitar is if I could get it at a true steal of a price, and then sell it for lots more just to buy a new Taylor (just like what I did in acquiring a Kronbauer boutique guitar back in 2008 solely to sell it to finance the purchase of my first Taylor... a 2004 615ce L30 Honeyburst). But in your case, since you've had your Gibson so long and it has such a special place in your heart and undoubtedly tons of great memories, that's a whole different thing and I totally understand why you would love it so much.

Anyway, congrats, welcome to the UTGF, and thanks for sharing the story with us!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:58:59 PM by dsamuel24 »
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)