Author Topic: 2001 314ce with blown fishman  (Read 4901 times)

MartinD

2001 314ce with blown fishman
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »
I want to buy my first Taylor but can't afford new.  I play in a praise band and am starting to get into finger style. It seems that the 314ce is the most versatile/best value. I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 for below market value. Is it worth it to fix or replace the fishman or should I hold out for another with the expression.
     Also, what would cause the serial number sticker to start to peel off on one corner?  Water damage that doesn't show on the finish? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:35:07 PM by MartinD »
Colossians 3:17

2013 Taylor 314 CE
2007 Taylor DN-5
Takamine EF-340scgn
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
UltraSound AG50-DS4 Acoustic Amp
Roland 15x Cube

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: 2001 314ce with blown fishman
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »
I personally feel that it's best to buy a guitar without a factory installed system so that you can add the system of your choice. Search ES system on this forum, and you'll find that opinions vary...

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
I want to buy my first Taylor but can't afford new.  I play in a praise band and am starting to get into finger style. It seems that the 314ce is the most versatile/best value. I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 for below market value. Is it worth it to fix or replace the fishman or should I hold out for another with the expression.

I would not buy a guitar with defective electronics, regardless of how good a deal it was, especially one with a "barndoor" preamp.  I do agree that the 314ce is the best used value in the Taylor lineup, based on recent Ebay selling prices.  You can also find used Taylor/Fishman preamps on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-FIshman-Guitar-Pickup-Prefix-Onboard-Blender-814-714-614-514-electronics-/181047283076?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a27424d84
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:01:36 AM by lmacmil »
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
hi martin,
good to see you here :)

WELCOME !as you've said, it is possible to have the preamp repaired or replaced & if you like
the amplified tone of the fishman, that would likely be the most economical route

there is also the option of a direct-replacement retrofit system, such as
the LR Baggs iMix onboard or installing another system, like the anthem SL

it being an 11 year old guitar, it's possible that it may have been subjected to conditions that allowed
the corner of the label to lift & if the rest of the guitar is in good condition, the label can be resecured

to me, an onboard preamp allows the controls to be most accessible & depending on how often
one will be playing out in different venues, it can help to have them available at one's fingertips -
like acoustic tone, amplified tone varies a good bit & what a person may not like does not mean that
a particular system is not a good one, but by the same token what someone else likes you may not

i would suggest contacting fishman to see what your options are with the factory system -
the preamp should be a prefix plus (the 01 314ce was the first Taylor i owned)

also, explore other options so that you can decide if this route will be tonally & economically good for you

looking forward to hearing more from you soon -
please make yourself comfortable :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
Hi there Martin,

Welcome to the board ...good to have you here!!  :)

I will echo Michael's recommendation about the LRBaggs unit: great company that I think makes excellent products IMHO, but also their direct-fit-replacement for the so-called "barn-door" preamps make replacing an old/dead preamp pretty easy and straightforward.  This and the point that Baggs makes great-sounding pickup systems.

As for the guitar, itself, I assume you can play it and it is not a web-purchase, correct?  A new guitar over the web at least has "some" assurances, but a used one that has issues...well, caveat emptor is the key here.  BUT, if you can play it, then assess for yourself the action, the tone, and the overall condition.  You may be getting a real bargain as it is far more difficult to sell a guitar with "issues" in any economy, let alone in these times.  If all feels and sounds good, then bargain away and get a good price.  No point in shying away from a quality guitar requiring an easy fix, but only if  all else checks out.  Best to you and let us know how it turns out!  :)

Edward

MartinD

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice and the kind wishes.  I will play the guitar tomorrow and then make a decision.  The seller claims to be the original owner and that he has rarely played out with it, as he mostly uses an electric.  I'm glad that he mentioned the problem before I drove an  hour to see it.  My brother has an old 910 that has huge scratches all over it.  Even with dead strings, the guitar sings!  I bought my D-35 before I learned to play.  That was when I was rich.  Now that I perform regularly and have become decent, I want a Taylor.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

2013 Taylor 314 CE
2007 Taylor DN-5
Takamine EF-340scgn
Roland 15x Cube

Fellrunner

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
I have a 2001 712 ce which I upgraded to an es. Cost a bit more than baggs but for me I find it so easy to use in a church setting with amateur sound team and with very little time to set up, way easier than the fishman was (even with a Spectrum DI). Ironically I am writing this at JFK airport on my way back to the UK, I still have the old functional fishman system and assuming you are in the US I could have posted it to you if I'd known in time! If you buy the 314 and want a free fishman sterio blend system (barn door and all), working when removed, pm me and lets see if I can get it to you. Phil
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:04:00 PM by Fellrunner »
2001 Taylor 712ce (with 2016 ES2 retrofit)
2011 Taylor 812ce
2018 Taylor 514ce V class

MartinD

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »
Guitar was sold before my appointment to see it. A pitfall of Craigslist. Wasn't meant to be.  Investigating another 314ce about a 30 minute further drive.  Don't want to buy on Ebay without playing it first.  Thanks for the advice.

2013 Taylor 314 CE
2007 Taylor DN-5
Takamine EF-340scgn
Roland 15x Cube