Author Topic: Guitar Fever  (Read 1818 times)

JB12

Guitar Fever
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
Hi all,

Just checking in to introduce myself.  I've been roaming around the boards for the past year or so, but never registered.

About 6 or so years ago, I was given an old Yamaha FG 110 that I absolutely love and play frequently to this day.  Through years of strumming on that, I've added a cheap Ibanez acoustic and a Danville Banjo.  Both, nothing to write home about but they molded me into the "musician" I am today.

My great uncle recently ignited my passion for guitars.  I was able to sit down with him and explore his love for the guitar before he passed away this fall.  He lived in NY and I reside in central Ohio, so we didn't see each other very often.  However, I learned he was an amazing finger style guitarist and had friendships with the great Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel.  I remember playing that old Yamaha in front of him and him just gleaming at me saying, you'll be amazed once you lay your hands on better guitar.  (Mind you, this is coming from a guy who owned *multiple* Taylors, Martins and Maton guitars).

It wasn't until this past fall, I decided to make the step up.  Albeit, it wasn't a BIG step, I purchased a Taylor 114ce.  My only regret is that I probably should have waited and saved a bit more for a solid body guitar.   I can't complain though, it's a beautiful instrument and I adore it very much.  There's always room for a few more someday!

Ever since my purchase, I can't stop reading about/watching/playing these wonderful instruments.  Nothing has captivated me like this in a long while.  I am so fascinated by the craftsmanship and understanding that goes into making a guitar.  My family and friends think I'm a bit off when I tell them what I've learned the past week about the differences in tonewoods and bracing patterns but this art has grabbed me!  I'm excited to continue reading about and now share my input on this wonderful forum with all of you!

Cheers  :D and happy strumming,

Joey
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:37:16 AM by JB12 »

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Guitar Fever
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
Welcome Joey, glad you joined us!

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Joey.  Please enjoy yourself here with us.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
It's great to have you officially "here!"  Make yourself at home.  There's tons of great folks here, who know an infinite amount of info about all things Taylor/guitars.  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  We would love to see your new guitar.  I once had a 110 and thought highly of it.  Enjoy.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
Welcome to the UTGF, Joey! :) The 114ce's are awesome guitars so enjoy it. You might as well play a really nice guitar NOW rather than wait so kudos for getting it. Nice to have you here with us. :D
Cindy

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:22 AM »
 Hi Joey. Glad you decided to join the site. :) 

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »
Welcome aboard as a participating member.  The 114ce is a great guitar - it will serve you well.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »

Ever since my purchase, I can't stop reading about/watching/playing these wonderful instruments.  Nothing has captivated me like this in a long while.  I am so fascinated by the craftsmanship and understanding that goes into making a guitar.  grabbed me!  I'm excited to continue reading about and now share my input on this wonderful forum with all of you!
 My family and friends think I'm a bit off when I tell them what I've learned the past week about the differences in tonewoods and bracing patterns but this art has
Cheers  :D and happy strumming,

Joey

Thus the start of a new love affair with Taylor guitars. I'm just experiencing it right now as well. Welcome to the forum, Joey! Keep on playing!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007